Should Tahith Chong be given an opportunity on the right in 2018/19?

Sideshow Bob

The right side of United’s attack is a weak point. Chong’s talent is obvious. Will he ready for a role in United’s first team in 2018/19? Will Mourinho trust him? Can he be a bit like Willian? Or should United look to add a right sided player in the summer?

I think they should probably look to add in the summer. However I see no reason why Chong shouldn't get some game time and be around the first team squad.

Perreira is also an option from the right iirc. Though how much mourinho likes him is a different matter altogether what with him disobeying mourinho’s wishes with the Valencia loan.

I assume now that they’re moving up to U23 level they will be involved in first team training sessions more regularly and he will probably go on the pre season tour, if he impresses there he might get a shot in league cup games next season depending on how the draws go.

McTominay has shown if you get a chance and take it then more will come your way and if we don’t sign any attacking players in the summer there is a chance if there are injuries he could get thrown in.

The thing with Chong is physically is he ready he’s a big lad height wise but is his body going to be able to take the hard tackles in men’s football without getting injured?

I'd actually like to see him on the bench now. Our bench options yesterday weren't exactly game changers if we were losing, we had 3 defenders on the bench yesterday, Shaw and Lindelof would have been enough to cover the back 4.

With us playing 2 right footers on the left in most games, it would be good to have a left footer with pace to provide something different if we need it. Yes he may eventually turn out to be a right sided player but that doesn't mean we can't use him on the left to provide something different.

With Martial out of the last 2 games, Darmian's place could and should have been filled by Chong. With Gomes struggling with injury again, I really think we need to give this lad the experience of sitting on the bench next weekend in the cup and perhaps even get him on if we're comfortable or need something different than Darmian's time wasting expertise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He really looks like he has some supreme ability on the ball. Obviously still raw but I wouldn’t be aversed to unleashing him in the first team in the near future.

Hope they take him on tour with the first team in the summer but needs to move up to U23 next season issue for him is they’re not going to be in the top division next season so our top young talent might need to go on loan.

If he does well on tour he might get a chance off the bench in league cup games next season but still a long way for these boys to go.

The good thing for him is their isn’t currently a huge amount in front of him for that position so if he got a chance and took it he could quickly find himself in the first team setup like McTominay has.

If Mata went in the summer and wasn’t replaced their would be an even better chance for him.

I'd like to see Chong given a chance to at Ieast start seeing some action. However I think in reality it's a long shot and it's more likely that we go out and buy a right sided attacker. In fact with Jose in charge I very much doubt he ever gets legit first team opportunities.

I'd like to see Chong given a chance to at Ieast start seeing some action. However I think in reality it's a long shot and it's more likely that we go out and buy a right sided attacker. In fact with Jose in charge I very much doubt he ever gets legit first team opportunities.

All you can say is if he gets a chance he has to take it like McTominay did and like Rashford did under LVG. Players will get the chance to go on the pre season tour next summer and they regularly train with the first team at Carrington so you need to show that you are as good as the players he's got in his first team setup.

There was an interesting article in one of papers with Nicky Butt in one of the papers where he was talking about the kids coming through the system and he says he's confident they'll be given chances in the first team if they show they're worthy. He even said he watched an academy player train with the first team and said he wasn't focused and kind of went through the motion, he sat the kid down afterwards and told him he might have just blown his career at Utd because if you get to play or train in front of the first team manager you need to show him your best work. He's right to point out 1 bad training session can determine a managers opinion of you it's almost like an interview so if you get the chance to show the boss your talent you have to make it count.

The one good thing about not signing a right winger will hopefully mean that Chong will get opportunities in the first team.

If Martial goes he’s got a chance of getting on the bench if he doesn’t he’s relying on injuries as Periera, Lingard, Mata, Rashford, Martial are all fighting for that 3rd spot in the front 3.

Kid needs first team football though he’s got to the point where he’s clearly to good for U23 if we keep all the attacking players like Gomes he might need a loan somewhere in Europe.

I think he deserves a chance for sure. Our RW options are actually pretty dire and we could do with a good alternative off the bench. I hope Chong will get opportunities but I fear he won't.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back