FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons

Sergio Romero | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Sergio Romero | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

League Cup: Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United - 20th December 2017

He was very shaky.

That was his worst performance in a Utd shirt since that game vs Swansea in his first season.

Seemed to let himself get put off by Bristol City players very easily especially when he was trying to take kicks from his hands after corners, there were 2 where he was very lucky one where he dropped it then went to pick it up again and another where he threw it into Lindelof's arm.

I think it was his nervousness that put our defence on edge and he made himself a very small target for the second goal but I think that's how he defends those situation whereas De Gea uses his legs better than anyone to spread himself.

I think if he was a number 1 somewhere people would call him dodgy he makes a lot of mistakes and he does 1 weird thing in every game he plays for us which potentially can cost us a goal but generally he is very good there's just a moment in every game where your heart is in your mouth.

He's actually probably doing the right thing at this point in his career and being a number 2 at a big club where he probably earns the same wages that he would playing as he number 1 at a smaller club but he also gets to win some trophies.

Be interesting to see if he does hang around because apart from domestic cups he's not really required and Utd need to make a call on what they're doing with Joel Periera he needs to start playing regularly which probably means a season on loan with Henderson coming back as the number 3/U23 keeper next season.

I’ve heard Henderson and Johnstone are both leaving on permanent transfers this summer, not sure if true but if so, we’d be reluctant to let him leave.

I’ve heard Henderson and Johnstone are both leaving on permanent transfers this summer, not sure if true but if so, we’d be reluctant to let him leave.

Think Johnstone is nailed on to leave as he's 25 now and his contract is up this summer so as long as he moves to a club in England we will get some sort of tribunal fee for training him.

The Henderson one is similar think his contract is almost up and other clubs are trying to poach him as he's seen as a potential England keeper in a few years after some impressive loan spells he made the league one PFA team of the year and has got very good reviews. I would imagine that Utd will be keen for him to renew then get him out on loan again as he's highly rated but I wouldn't be surprised if he left if he got offered the number 1 role at a championship club.

Henderson can see the path to being #1 is blocked right now with De Gea there. Keepers have difficult decisions to make, it’s not easy to get opportunities as there’s only one that can play and unless the #1 gets injured there’s just the odd occasion there’ll be rotation. I really rate Henderson but there’s no sign of De Gea leaving anymore so I’d like to see him leave and maybe then if he’s good enough, replace De Gea when he does go. He’s just going to stagnate as a #2 or #3, his potential is too great to be a backup, needs to be playing and I don’t think he wants to be a backup regardless of the fact it’s United.

If Romero goes and I wouldn’t blame him either as he’s done well when he’s come in from the cold, deserves to be first choice somewhere, I think we need to find an experienced keeper to be backup and let Pereira go out on loan to play.

Yeah I agree that Henderson looks a really talented goalkeeper but he’s just unlucky that he has the best keeper in the world in front of him. I think if a Championship/lower level EPL club comes in for him and he is guaranteed a number 1 spot then I think he will take that. He is a future England goalkeeper for sure.

As for Romero, really gutted that he is out of the WC. Never a nice thing to see when players are ruled out of such an occasion. As for his future, I wouldn’t begrudge him a move away, I think he’s better than alot of number ones in the EPL. I do think like was mentioned above that we need to bring in a experienced keeper and let Pereira go out on loan and play if Romero leaves.

Henderson gets a better move if it’s permanent. He may decide to stick with Shrewsbury though given that he’s already first choice with them in which case, hopefully it can remain a loan.

I think there's a certain comfort that comes with being a Man Utd player on loan especially as a keeper because second chances are easier to get.

There's probably a bit more financial security in terms of the salary he'd be on as a Utd player compared to what he'd be offered even by Championship clubs.

I mean it's almost impossible for young keepers to come through the academy and get the number 1 shirt at a premier league club.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back