Season Review - Midfielders

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
McTominay - 8/10 think there’s been a big step forward from McTominay this season maybe not good enough to start every week in a title winning side but he’s been an important player this season chipped in with quite a few goals as well. Same again next season please Scotty.

Fred - 6/10 had plenty of good games but plenty of bad ones too. Just not a good enough footballer to be starting every week for Utd and next season we shouldn’t be seeing him anywhere near as much as we currently do.

Matic - 4/10 had a few cameos but what were we thinking given him a 3 year deal last season I think it is time for him to move on. If he stayed next season you are probably looking at 15-20 games a season from him which might not be the end of the world if he’s happy being in that role.

Pogba - 7/10 terrible start to the season possibly a result of him struggling with Covid, sadly his agent rattled the cage with comments about his future but it didn’t seem to interrupt his performances. Became a very important player and very often the difference maker often playing a different role off the left rather than in the centre. We certainly miss him when he isn’t there but I do wonder why his future is, will we ever be able to trust him in that 2 in midfield every game? I’d offer him a new deal but my guess is he wants to see who we sign before he thinks about committing.

Van De Beek - 2/10 a huge disappointment just doesn’t seem to fit in our team. He’s never had a run of games but his performances haven’t made you think he deserves one. I do think he’s got talent just not sure he’s one for us if the club can move him on I think they should.

Bruno - 9/10 loads of goals and loads of assists found it hard in big games where teams often starve him of space and he can be a bit sloppy at times but overall he’s been brilliant.

McTominay 7/10 has grown into his role. A bunch of 6/10s and 8/10s. Want to see him in a more mobile three.
Fred 5/10 get rid.
Matic 5/10 has lost a step.
Pogba 7/10 sublime game changer to sauntering mope to sublime.
VDB 5/10 square peg. First good performance was in the last league game.
Bruno 9/10 carried this team for most of the season.

Bruno - 8.5
Pogba -7.5
McT - 6
Fred - 4
Matic - 4
VDB - 4

Bruno has been superb. Slight worry about going missing in big games. We need to rest him from time to time. Maybe move Pogba forward and have McT alongside the DM.

McT's had some great performances and some duds. I think the duds are more due to him being asked to be more of a holder than a marauder. He has the potential to be a quality box to box midfielder. Good feet, great engine, a good finish. Needs to improve decision making and distribution. Needs to learn from Pogba and Bruno.

Pogba grew into the season following his injury. If he can start next season fit and stay fit, he'll be our most influential player. Use McT to provide back-up.

Fred has the odd good game but he's not the ultra reliable defensive shield we need.

Matic is decent cover, nothing more these days.

VDB. I think he's a good player but I find it difficult to see how we'd use him. Questions must be asked about why he was bought.

McTominay: 6.5/10. Has had moments like Leeds at home and the EL final where he was outstanding, driving us forward at every opportunity. Defensively, he's not great, not awful, he's a nice squad player to play a lot of cup matches, be a good 75th min substitute and a reliable starter when the matches pile up around Christmas. He offers us something, which is more than I can say for his partner.

Fred: 2/10. Useless going forward. Can't pass, shoot or head the ball. Mediocre at best as a defender. Waste of a squad number. Needs to go away and never come back.

Matic: 3/10. Marginally better going forward, but his legs have gone and can't control matches like he used to. Free to a good home.

VdB: 2/10. Ajax pulled the ol' switcheroo and sent us Bonny Van de Deek instead, I don't understand how that player turned into this for us. I dislike him because he's used as a stick with which to beat the manager, which isn't fair, but I do it nonetheless. Show me something next season, lad.

Bruno: 11/10. Because without him we're well and truly in the deep stuff. Realistically, he's an 8 just below Shaw in our player of the season stakes. I'd like him to score more from open play, and be able to influence matches later in the season. I find it hard to criticize him because of the effect he's had on our squad/results, but he hasn't done much in the last month-ish of the season. He's probably burnt toast at this point and needs a summer off, which he won't get. Also, some help in the whole create stuff department wouldn't go awry either.

Pogba: Beats the hell out of me/10. Earlier in the season, I'd have given him a 1 or 2. His attitude and application sucked, and all he did was amble around giving the ball and stupid pens away for fun. Then his agent opens his pie hole and suddenly Pogba becomes our best player, driving us into a title challenge almost single handedly. Kinda like Maguire, he get injured and we realize that life without him looks pretty bleak, and now I don't know what to do with him. Just sell him if the offer is good enough? Try and unlock that beast mode on a consistent basis? Find his best position (whatever that is) and build around him? Treat him like a luxury player who can't be trusted when it matters most? I don't know.

Personally think besides Bruno our midfield was average all season as the players are all bang average.mct a good backup.
Fred i dont think should be anywhere near the first team,matic is good in the odd game.
VDB i hope gets some game time to prove he is good enough or what was the point in buying him.
We need a quality dm i think more that a cd but both would be nice

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back