Scholes: Phil Jones isn't 'clever enough' to play at centre-half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Scholes: Manchester United defender Phil Jones isn't 'clever enough' to play at centre-half - Manchester Evening News

Scholes said: "I just think at centre back, when he is playing against clever forwards, he tends to get dragged out of position quite a easily.

"At right back you still need to be clever positionally, but I think he can use his pace and power and he hasn't got a bad delivery either.

"When he first came to Manchester United he was a right back, he played right back all the time. He has got strength and power and he can get up and down the pitch.

"I just think at centre half, he is not quite clever enough to do it."

Doesnt help that he has been played in many positions and not really stuck to one, but I do agree with Scholes. Maybe he would be better suited in front of the back 4?

It's not that harsh when you look at what he says. Jones rushes headlong into challenges. He gets pulled out of position too easily. Not that he isn't a decent cb. But he needs to be more clever in his gameplay which can only come with experience. He has age on his side. And a decent run of games with smalling will only help improve their understanding. But he needs to stop relying on his pace to make last ditch tackles and improve his positioning and anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back