Rui Faria to leave United at the end of the season

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There were suggestions he was on the long list for the Arsenal job.

Be interesting to see what Mourinho does will he bring in someone with fresh ideas or will he go for someone with the same ideas.

I don't know what this guy brings to the table but I really hope whoever comes in can coach the forwards more than they have been.

Bring Mulenstene back!

I know some of the media are trying to paint this as a bit of a negative but I think this could be a highly positive move for both him and Mourinho and us in particular, as long as Mourinho brings someone in who's got a bit more attacking nous in him. Fergie used to freshen things up pretty regularly, things get stale and new ideas are needed as the game progresses and I think in his past 3 seasons as manager it's become clear that Mourinho probably needs new ideas particularly in attack. Obviously they had a team full of goalscorers but his Chelsea sides used to score lots. Lingard has done well but I think Pogba, Sanchez, Rashford and Martial could score a lot more if that attack was drilled better, it looks very uncoached and geared to relying on individuals rather than working as a unit.

There were links saying he was on the list of potential candidates for Arsenal but sounds like Arteta is now the favourite. Why not Chelsea? Worked there twice as an assistant.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up been an assistant for a long time how many number 2s have gone on to be great number 1s.

Mourinho confirms no new assistant manager Carrick will join his coaching team but there won’t be an official number 2.

Mourinho: "I will organise my staff in a system where an assistant manager doesn't exist. I will have specific coaches, analysts and no assistant manager. I think it will be Michael Carrick in the future when he has his badges."

Bit disappointing that he's not open to bringing someone in from the outside but I suppose Carrick is and has different ideas about the game so he will do. Hopefully he has a positive influence on the team in attack, having been coached by Fergie and the likes of Meulensteen and Queiroz, i'm sure he will bring the knowledge and ideas that they passed on to him and hopefully Mourinho listens.

Can't actually believe he is not getting on the blower to Mike "The Cat" Phelan, he is the only man who should be considered!

His comments suggest there could be a bit of a change up with new faces given specific roles within his team and they all report to him rather than having a designated number 2.

This could be a good thing as long as he doesn't surround himself with yes men who will just reinforce his ideas even if he's going down the wrong path.

I hope Butt gets moved up, I like the sound of him when he talks football.

I'd argue the academy director role is more important than any coaching role in the first team setup.

Nicky Butt's attitude and mentality is exactly what you want to install in young footballers leave your ego at the door and do your work I imagine the modern first team footballer would do his head in.

Could be some big changes behind the scenes this summer not sure what's going on with the U23's in terms of management next season, Mourinho is possibly shaking up the first team setup, there's a change on the board with Townsend the director of communications leaving to join UEFA and there's a new chief operating officer coming in, new company secretary and reports of a director of football operations to be appointed (this isn't a director of football more someone who will deal with logistics and the admin on the football side of the business) plus there's the new womens team to be introduced.

Be interesting to see how Faria leaving effects Mourinho he doesn't strike me as a man who's happy in life currently, his family aren't with him in Manchester and he's probably living a bit of a lonely lifestyle and him and Faria have been close for a long time so not having him with him in Manchester might be tough to cope with.

Yeah don’t think Butt is going to be part of the coaching team going forward, seems pretty settled in his academy director role.

One name that has been banded about is Kieran McKenna as a future first team coach, he has done wonderful things with the U18’s. He’s only early 30’s but I’ve read stories where they stated he is very very highly thought of at United. Wonder if it’s time to invest in a young coach and really try and take them forward so they have potential to take the managers role in the future.

Rumours that Faria is going to be Benfica coach next season.

If true fantastic opportunity for him.

Mourinho: "It’s a person coming who worked with me before but I can’t say the name because he’s still linked to another club."

"I like to make my assistants. I do not like trained coaches..."

That has got to be a player who he worked with previously who's about to retire?

The rumours are it's Terry which would not go down well at old trafford

But I read the interview that quote was meant to have come from and it's not in there, unless I didn't read the full interview.

The Terry rumours I think are a reaction to fans guessing at who it might be online and putting 2+2 together.

Terry was a boyhood Utd fan but his ties to Chelsea mean it's very unlikely that he will come here especially when he's already hinting that he wants to do 1 more season at Villa as a player.

Also, Terry & Mourinho don't have a great relationship both times.

I still have not seen the quote in the interview, I think it's nonsense. I have been trying to find the full Record interview.

Why would he one day say he is just going to re arrange his staff, to he's bringing in someone else the next?

Yeah, the Terry rumour started on a Villa forum. He's probably bringing in Ronnie as coach :-D

He isn't saying he's appointing a new number 2 in the quotes he's basically suggesting there will be another new face joining his staff but it won't be a big name established coach but it's someone he's worked with previously who is currently at a club so you would assume it's a player who worked under him at some point.

Mourinho is saying basically that under the new structure there is him as the manager then all his coaches are equal and report to him rather than having that buffer of a number 2.

I wouldn't mind Lampard coming in and telling Pogba a few things.

I think he should bring Keane in as a motivator. I can just see it now, Keane saying if you play in the second half like you did in the first I'm actually going to break your nose when you come off the pitch. Maybe we'd see some better performances

Roy Keane would be disaster there's a reason he's not gone back into management because he knows the games changed and his method of motivation wouldn't work on the modern player. He'd be a damn good attack dog from the bench though which was sort of Rui Faria job at times when it was all kicking off on the sidelines Faria was normally in the thick of it.

Heard all sorts of names being mentioned online Zanetti, Lampard, Terry & Drogba but the comment about his links with another club rules out Lampard who is just a pundit at the moment the other 3 are all employed somewhere. It could be anyone and I think when it gets announced it'll be really underwhelming it'll be someone like Paulo Ferreira or Maniche

Drogba for me, imagine him coaching Lukaku, be absolutely class!

Give it 2 months before Drogba has dusted off the boots and is starting ahead of him.

Drogba was such a good player he was almost unique him on his own up top was like having 2 players as he just bullied your centre backs non stop but he was also incredibly gifted with the ball at his feet. Proper big game player as well nailed on to score in any cup final.

Still playing in the second tier out in America at 40 the man is a machine.

I still have not seen this quote in the interview anywhere, it only appeared on a Villa forum.

Drogba would be good. Brings an attacking flavour and gets to mentor Lukaku. He loved Essien, think he was quoted recently saying he felt like a father to him or something, don't think he's at a club though.

Hope it's not Terry, got to be one of the most unpopular figures for United fans.

Drogba would be good. Brings an attacking flavour and gets to mentor Lukaku. He loved Essien, think he was quoted recently saying he felt like a father to him or something, don't think he's at a club though.

Hope it's not Terry, got to be one of the most unpopular figures for United fans.

I mean if Terry joined us would fans stop singing the Viva John Terry song?

I really hope not because he'd never admit it but I bet that song really annoys him.

Duncan Castles says that Rui Faria’s duties will be split between Carrick, Kieran McKenna and Sampdoria fitness coach Stefano Rapetti.

Be interesting to see Who the new U18s manager will be as McKenna has done brilliantly with them.

Duncan Castles says that Rui Faria’s duties will be split between Carrick, Kieran McKenna and Sampdoria fitness coach Stefano Rapetti.

Be interesting to see Who the new U18s manager will be as McKenna has done brilliantly with them.
Chuffed for McKenna, he’s done amazing for the U18’s and this is a big big chance for him.

Got to be honest it’s an exciting coaching team, young guys with I’m sure lots of new ideas. Not really heard of Rapetti but I think it’s a good little coaching structure Jose has going.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back