Rugby Union 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

General thread for rugby union thread in 2017. New threads can be created for big events, eg 6 Nations.

A refreshing squad selection with some exciting uncapped players including Thomas Young who's picking up MOTM awards every week at Wasps and Owen Williams who has been doing very well at Leicester and is due to move to Gloucester next season, lacked that 10/12 option since Hook/Henson, could be our Farrell. Olly Cracknell won't be well known in or outside Wales but looks an excellent prospect at blindside flanker. Frustrating to see Cuthbert in again and I don't think North should be in as hasn't done anything for us for ages, but great to see less emphasis placed on size in the wing department with the selections of rapid Ashton Hewitt and Steff Evans. Keelan Giles unfortunately injured, only thing that's kept him out of selection i'd imagine, 3 very young and exciting wingers we have there.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ospreys became first team to record 30 points in a Euro group yesterday. 6 bonus point wins. Quite ridiculous that we're in the Challenge Cup though while Zebre get hammered every week. Not good for the competition. Looking forward to a Euro QF though, not been to a game in a while so will have to make it.

Huge win for Glasgow at Leicester yesterday, Leicester in one hell of a mess at the minute. Munster win again and could go on to win it although Saracens will be favourites. Clermont v Toulon in the quarters!

Yeah Ospreys are far too good not to be in the Champions Cup. Zebre's inclusion not only prevents a team of that quality's entry into the competition but it also gives the other teams in their groups a huge advantage of progressing to the quarters given that it's almost an automatic 10 points per team gained against them every year.

Delighted Glasgow have made it to the quarters but they will have a very tough ask against Sarries. Munster have been playing on extra energy the past while but I'm not sure whether that will last the season - I'd also have question marks over Bleyendaal's mentality when the going gets tough. He's a great player but he's choked a few times the past few weeks, particularly away to Leicester. Leinster have been back on song lately, the youngsters have really stepped up - Adam Byrne (brother of former United youth Sam) particularly. He's a serious speciman. Will Greenwood had him in his projected Lions 15.. Two days before Schmidt overlooked him for Ireland's 40 man 6 Nations squad! But he's a great talent.
Not sure who I'd back to win outright - very open competition this year, which is great. Some cracking games ahead.

I was wondering who that Adam Byrne was in Greenwood's XV.

He only took up rugby at 14/15 but made his Leinster debut under Schmidt at 18. He's been injured mostly since. Parts of his game still need ironing out but he's a pretty precocious talent. Decent video on him here:

It's called Super Rugby for a reason. The handling skills in the league are streets ahead of us in the north, technical ability hasn't improved much at all in 20 years in the north, too much emphasis on the physical side of the game, technically and mentally we are miles behind in Wales.

Outrageous stuff.

I'd like Munster and Leinster but head says Saracens - Clermont final

CJ Stander didn't look half fit, that and the absence of Murray could have made a difference but Saracens the best in European club rugby at present.

Brilliant performance from them. Think Farrell has become a better 10 in past 2 years, perhaps playing at 12 for England has improved his skillset.

Well deserved champions. Incredibly solid side defensively and such a strong forward pack. Farrell has certainly become a better 10, he attacks the line a lot more and his passing range has come on a lot. Clermont will never win it will they!

Wow I'm a little stunned... Exeter are Premiership Champions.

As a Gloucester fan that's a bit of a blow really. We have a bit of a rivalry with those boys down South as its all part of the M5 corridor rivalry. But what really irks me is that Exeter have steadily improved year on year since coming in to the top league in 2010. It's something that Gloucester have failed to do for years and years now.

Great story down at Exeter. They were excellent yesterday, glad it wasn't decided by a penalty kick shootout.

Fantastic win for Scarlets out in Dublin against Munster, the rugby they have played in the last 2 months has been sublime, it's a shame our national coaches can't get our national team playing with that swagger, Ospreys to an extent played with that verve earlier in the season too but ran out of steam after the 6 Nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back