Round of 16

SuperRash

So the fixtures so far, a couple of tasty match ups with France vs Argentina the highlight so far.

France vs Argentina
Uruguay vs Portugal
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark
Brazil vs Mexico
Sweden vs Switzerland
Belgium vs Japan
Colombia vs England

Crazy challenge from Rojo but Mbappe really got up through the gears there that was some serious speed dribbling with the ball.

France 1-2 Argentina

This France team reminds me so much of Utd so much talent but just don’t play as a team, Argentina have been poor as well.

This game feels very low quality but it’s 3-2 and there’s been 2 absolute screamers.

Has either keeper made a save?

Sampaoli had Higuain and Dybala on the bench but decided to put Meza on. His reputation in charge of Argentina has taken a big hit.

France were very good in patches, think Pogba and Kante ran the game. Mbappe was the star player, would love to see him in the EPL - he’s much better than the French league.

Portugal out too. Didn't see the match but watched the highlights. Cavani's second was a masterfully struck. Wish we'd have signed him a couple of years ago.

I think every club is kicking themselves for not getting Cavani when he was at Napoli.

He’d have ripped up the PL probably the best centre forward in the game at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Agreed knew nothing about it but you can’t have your hand up that high in the box it was above his head.

Think both the Spain CBs are showing their age teams feel they can get at them now a few years back you had no chance.

Both teams looking tired with 15 to go.

First game into extra time.

Russia really frustrating Spain and Spain struggling to get the tempo going to break them down.

We go to pens in the rain in Moscow.... sound familiar to anyone?

So Spain is out as well. All the heavyweights seem to be completely out of their depth at this WC.

I totally expect the press to blame De Gea for Spain's loss, since he hasn't saved any penalties.

I imagine they’ll blame the manager who got sacked in the non Madrid/Barca press, in the Madrid press they’ll probably blame Pique for giving away a penalty and in Barcelona they’ll blame Hierro for not starting Iniesta. That’s how it normally works there everyone’s got a hidden agenda.

Apart from that first game which they drew Spain have looked like they’ve been getting worse wouldn’t be surprised if stories about a split camp come out, be interesting to see how many of these lads carry on? Is that it for Ramos, Pique, Iniesta & Busquets time to step aside for the next generation.

All these big teams going out could make for some strange looking semis and finals.

This is the world Cup that keeps giving isn't it? I mean at this point let's look at who the "minnows" are and pick a winner from those teams. So in other words... Yes England have a chance.

There goes Denmark. My team from the office sweepstake falls by the wayside. Gutted.

Denmark were the better side over the game really but they just couldn’t find that finishing touch. Croatia were pretty poor but they have a great chance to go all the way with the draw.

There goes Denmark. My team from the office sweepstake falls by the wayside. Gutted.

Denmark were the better side over the game really but they just couldn’t find that finishing touch. Croatia were pretty poor but they have a great chance to go all the way with the draw.

Had them in a sweep as well luckily for me in ours if your team got out of the group stage you got your money back.

Got France in the other work one so still hanging on in there with them.

What a bizzarre world cup. It really is one for the small teams to win, I include England in that but I think their defence/Goalie is too weak. Those two keepers in the penalty shoot out (Den/Croatia) were immense, can't imagine Pickford like that.

Teams out or not even qualified

Italy, Holland, Germany, Argentina, Spain, Portugal. The only big two left really are France and Brazil who will meet in the other half of the draw. That loss to Belgium is looking even more sweet now. Belgium of course are a team to watch too, but I don't think in the same bracket as France Brazil, but in the tier above England.

A final sure is possible.

And a quick word about Mbappe, wow, I imagine PSG are doing everyhting to try and get the money to work, or he'll defo end up at Madrid this summer. Gives Rashford an eye opener.

I have to be honest in the 3 games they've played Belgium have looked the best team at the tournament they were very good against the 2 weaker sides and even their second string bossed England's in that final game.

That said Croatia looked good in the group but really struggled with Denmark last night who'd snuck through and maybe they have the same weakness is a weak coach who can't adjust his tactics during a game if the game changes.

Mbappe was ridiculous in that game but against Uruguay they're not going to let him have that space to run in Rojo was a sitting duck by the time Mbappe got to him he's already at full speed in open field you've got no chance he should've just took him out 30 yards from goal rather than try to stick with him.

If EVER there was a time to put 52 years of hurt behind us it's now. 3 games with average teams are between us and a World Cup Final. I actually can't believe how this has just opened up! Colombia tomorrow, Sweden or Switzerland in quarters and Russia or Croatia in semis.

Now lets not get too carried away haha!

Question: would you take getting but losing in a WC Final or prefer going out in the Quarters?

I was thinking about this yesterday and I really just don't think I would be able to bear seeing us lose in the final. I think I'd be depressed for weeks.

It would be marvelous to get to the final, irregardless of what happens then. Think of the pleasure winning the next three games would bring.

I think I'd take the heart break in the final I was 4 when we got to the semi final in 1990 so the best I've seen at a world cup is the quarter finals in 2002 & 2006 I'll be honest I'm just glad we made it out of the group stage after the last decade anything from here is a bonus.

If we got to a final whatever happens the entire country is taking the monday off work and they'd better have sorted out this CO2 shortage earlier if we get to a world cup final and the pubs/shops are rationing beer the country could descend into anarchy.

There is going to be at least one unfancied team in the final. One of Croatia, Colombia, England, Sweden or Switzerland are going to make the final. We definitely have a big chance but we have to take it one game at a time.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back