Rooney to join Derby as player-coach

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be quite a story and a real coup for Derby. I’ve heard quite a few stories of late of Rooney wanting to get into coaching so this is a win win situation really.

EDIT: now confirmed on an 18-month deal from January 2020.

I'm convinced his mrs has left him and he's got to get back so he can see his kids regularly.

100% file this one under WTF!

I'm convinced his mrs has left him and he's got to get back so he can see his kids regularly.
Good shout.

It definitely is a weird one to suddenly up sticks from America to Derby. Sure it’s a coaching opportunities but sure they would have flooded in anyway after he had finished playing. Weird.

Makes his debut and captains the team. Will be interesting to see how he does in the Championship, it’s a similar level to the MLS so suspect he’ll do okay.

Makes his debut and captains the team. Will be interesting to see how he does in the Championship, it’s a similar level to the MLS so suspect he’ll do okay.

It really isn’t MLS is league one with a few superstar names.

80% of the guys playing in that league would struggle to play above league one, 10% would be decent championship players and 10% premier league.

The defending in MLS is really bad because most of the players are just college players.

I think Rooney will struggle with the speed of the league obviously got it in his head but physically he’s well past it and players in the championship are normally super fit.

Like you say the defences are really bad but the midfields and attacks aren’t actually that bad over there but the defences and goalkeeping is super questionable.

I don’t usually watch the Championship that much but may catch the game tonight to have a looksie at him.

To be honest the championship isn’t much below the bottom half of the prem most of the teams who come up now stay up as long as they don’t make to many changes like Fulham did. In terms of strength it’s probably top 10 in Europe

Derby are 17th 10 points off the playoffs and have been a mess off the field this season 2 players getting done for drink driving, the captain getting injured in one of the accidents and players not getting paid December wages.

Adding Rooney who is a drinker into this mix could be a disaster.

Did he make himself captain? Either way seems odd to make a player captain who comes in mid season?

The current captain was ruled out for the season due to an injury he sustained in a car crash the crash involved 2 derby players hitting each other both were drunk. Not sure if they made anyone else official captain in his absence.

The whole things seems to be being paid for by a betting firm called 32 Red that sponsor Derby hence why Rooney is wearing the number 32.

He’s playing in midfield sitting in front of the defence as a playmaker.

FA Cup: Derby County 0-3 Manchester United - 5th March 2020

Well deserved reception from United’s fans.

Yep fans were great with him and he deserves exactly the same every time we play against him as a player or going forward a manager.

Apparently he's very hands on with the coaching and has really taken on the responsibility that comes with it which is good to hear must be great for the young players at Derby to have a player like him working with them.

Romero was a bit of a spoil sport not letting one of those free kicks in though.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back