Rooney: Smalling among world's best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Rooney: Smalling among world's best - Official Manchester United Website

The matchday programme at Old Trafford included an exclusive interview with Rooney and, when asked whether he has been impressed by Smalling as both a player and a leader this season, the England captain was clear in his response. “Yeah, I have been,” Wayne told United Review. “He has been incredible and for me he is right up there in world football in terms of centre-halves.

“He is in the top three centre-halves in the world – I think he is that good! He is a great player and he is developing to become more of a leader of the back four. It is great to see for both United and England, and hopefully that can continue for him and he can help us to be successful.”

Who are the top three centre-halves?

red7

Banned
obviously players praise their teammates a little too high. Smalling has a fantastic season so far in this form can be considered world-class.

Top 3 means only 2 defenders in the world can be better than him. As football is soo much depending on form I'd say that top 3 is ever changing and Smalling, on his day, can be in there. Godin, Ramos, Hummels, Boateng, Chiellini and some more are on that level for a longer period already.

Furthermore any defender is depending on the players around him to shine individually, so I hope he is soon playing in a top 3 team of the world here at Old Trafford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now