Rooney, Martial and Borthwick-Jackson nominated for January Player of the Month award 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Vote for January's Player of the Month - Official Manchester United Website

After a disappointing December, Manchester United have made a largely positive start to 2016 with several candidates emerging for our January Player of the Month award.

Although the home defeat to Southampton was a blow, the Reds are safely through to the FA Cup fifth round and can approach a busy February with renewed vigour.

Wayne Rooney is an outstanding option as the skipper has been in fabulous form in front of goal. Indeed, the striker scored in all but one of the month's six games - the aforementioned loss to the Saints - and he has six goals this year already to his name.

Wonderful strikes from distance at Newcastle United and Derby County were right out of the top drawer, and the improvised backheel against Swansea City was further evidence of his undisputed quality.

Anthony Martial's Man-of-the-Match display at the iPro Stadium has earned him the chance to follow up his success in the vote for December's star performer. The fabulous Frenchman scored and set up Rooney's winner in the defeat of Swansea and has remained a primary attacking outlet, usually from a wide role. He assisted two goals in a United game for the first time in the Cup triumph on Friday and tormented Rams full-back Cyrus Christie for much of the evening.

Our third nominee is Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, who is rewarded for his nerveless performances at left-back. The youngster, who turns 19 on Tuesday, came on for Ashley Young during the first half in the Anfield cauldron but was flawless in helping the Reds beat Liverpool. In starts against Sheffield United, Southampton and Derby, he has again showed his ability and remarkable temperament by passing with accuracy, showcasing his positional sense and linking with the attack to good effect.

When I saw this thread title I thought it was for the Premier league... My instant thought was "blimey was it a slow month". Then of course I opened it and saw it's for our own player of the month.

Got to be Rooney hasn't it? He's started to have a greater influence on games and in January he's scored some vital goals. It's nice that Borthwick-Jackson has been recognized for his good performances in far from ideal circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back