Rooney behind Martial

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichH2016

Is this the best approach going forwards?

I've seen it on a few occasions this year and every time I think there's potential!

There's no doubt Martial is best up front and Rooney generally is best I think in that role behind a front man. Fans have argued with me whether he's a true 10 etc and I can see the argument there. But he's not an out and out striker. He needs more freedom. But with the way Martial likes to drift there's certainly opportunities there for him to get ahead of Martial.

You've then got options with Lingard, Memphis, Januzaj and Pereira out wide. You can drop Herrera back alongside Schneiderlin and then get more creativity from midfield.

Of course it won't work in all games but I think it should be our default set up against most teams in the league.

Is playing as a striker Martial's best position? I feel that playing on the left brings the best out of him where he can run at fullbacks and defenders. Playing up top he mostly has his back to the goal which is counterproductive. As long as we don't have creative midfielders who can provide that defense splitting pass we should play him on the wings so that he can run at defenders.

Martial is a striker, Rooney is best as CF. Herrera is not ideal to play deep as a defensive midfielder.

Is playing as a striker Martial's best position?

Yeah I'd consider his best position to be as a striker. With the freedom to drift in to wide areas at times. Kind of like what Henry did. I tend to find when he's played out wide he doesn't get in the box enough.

Martial is a striker, Rooney is best as CF. Herrera is not ideal to play deep as a defensive midfielder.

Herrera as a defensive midfielder is a no no but as a central midfielder? I don't know why we feel the need to play with two defensive midfielders in every game.

Yeah I'd consider his best position to be as a striker. With the freedom to drift in to wide areas at times. Kind of like what Henry did. I tend to find when he's played out wide he doesn't get in the box enough

I feel his best performances for us have come when he has played on the left wing. He plays in the same position for France too and has had a couple of lively performances. Anyway our front four should always be interchanging throughout the match.

I feel his best performances for us have come when he has played on the left wing. He plays in the same position for France too and has had a couple of lively performances. Anyway our front four should always be interchanging throughout the match.

I think that's actually hitting the nail on the head actually mate... The front four should be fluid and interchanging. Then Fergie had his frightening front four they all used to move around. Most the team teams around Europe do the same as well.

Martial can hold up the ball pretty well as we saw when he played there. He's our best attacker at literally everything and our main threat.

I'd be wary of changing too much at the minute. Martial is terrorising full backs and Rooney is scoring goals.

That's a good point... Though I'd argue against Newcastle the balance wasn't there and Martial doesn't do the defensive side all that well? Which when you've got a right back at left back they become a bit exposed?

It's not like we've been flush with goals either?

Certainly wouldn't be against it. Did score when this change was made yesterday. With Januzaj back giving us another option out wide, it could well happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back