Ronald Koeman at Everton 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread for discussions on Ronald Koeman and Everton in 2017/18.

Premier League: Everton 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 9th September 2017

Played 4
Won 1
Drawn 1
Lost 2

Premier League: Everton 0-1 Burnley - 1st October 2017

Played 7
Won 2
Drawn 1
Lost 4
Points 7

He is under big pressure now. I think his name will buy him abit more time then a lesser manager would have got. Overall they just haven't gelled together that squad.

Badly built squad is my opinion on it.

Signed 3 versions of the same type of player this summer and didn't buy a proper replacement for Lukaku, obviously weren't going to get as good a striker but needed someone who did similar things.

Not sure it can be put on Koeman as I don't know how much control he has on signings but they look like a really average side right now which isn't good given the money they've spent.

Remind me a bit of Spurs when they sold Bale and bought a lot but mostly absolute shite like Soldado and Chadli.

12 months or so ago people were talking about Koeman in the same sentence as "the next Barca manager" as they did with Martinez before him. Both had good starts there, perhaps their problems are bigger than it being about the manager.

Always felt that next Barca manager stuff was nonsense I think his previous record in Spain with Valencia ruled him out of that job.

The issue is simple they sold the top scorer from the last 3 seasons and haven't replaced him like Bale or Suarez they lost an important player and didn't sign a replacement who plays in a similar way even if it's a guy of lesser quality.

I’m not one for sacking managers but surely he’s got to go

It's either him or the recruitment guy they got in from Leicester who have to go maybe even both.

Feels like 3 people signed a number 10 this summer.

Rooney (owner)
Sigurdsson (recruitment)
Klaasen (manager)

None of them actually bought a striker to replace Lukaku or a decent right back with Coleman injured or a decent wide player with Bolasie injured.

Him and Bilic are dead men walking. Wonder who’ll go first? My guess is they may get another game or two but if they don’t buck their ideas up they’ll be gone very soon.

How they justified spending £50m on Sigurdsson and not buying someone class to replace Lukaku, I’ll never know. Rooney is scoring a couple of goals but he’s still a player on the wane and Sandro hasn’t quite done it yet.

Would a new manager change it?

Just feels like a badly assembled squad of players and a manager who can't find a way of making it work, they are in big trouble.

Don’t think a new manager would necessarily change it but it’s the nature of the beast, that once you hit a bad run the manager is always going to suffer. They don’t have a terrible squad but Koeman has no idea what formation or starting 11 he should be playing. It seems to be changing each week. Coleman and Bolasie back will help but I have no idea when they are back.

Moyes return? :p

I'm guessing they'll be back in the new year but will they be the same players? Considering the money they had in the summer surely quick wide players had to be a must.

It's hard to say who they should go for? Could they tempt a big name like Tuchel or Luis Enrique who's out of work or would they have to accept giving someone like Dyche a chance?

If they could get him they should try for Marco Silva I know he's a bit of the flavour of the month but he looks like the real deal the way he's organised that Watford team is very impressive.

I think I heard an interview with Allardyce saying he’d prefer to get back into International management rather than club. Think the USA job was rumoured.

Wonder if anyone is thinking of giving Graham Potter a go, he’s done wonders with Ostersunds in the Swedish league and even in the Europa League he’s done ever so well. Definitely a long shot pick for right now but in the future maybe.

Who else? Ancelotti? Mazzarri? Moyes? - there are a few guys out of work.

Wonder if anyone is thinking of giving Graham Potter a go, he’s done wonders with Ostersunds in the Swedish league and even in the Europa League he’s done ever so well. Definitely a long shot pick for right now but in the future maybe.

Graham Potter! Just wiping the coffee off of my monitor! Great shout!
I would love to see that guy get some acknowledgement, top of their Europa league group at the minute, knocking out big boys along the way. Fair play.

I see Unsworth as the bookies leading candidate, which i get i suppose because he knows all those young kids in that side from the youth set up. Plus his a club icon. But surely their fans will want a bigger name then him? Just a short term fix at best.

If Moyes goes in there again, that must be the biggest backwards step they could make right now. Got to be a Dyche or Howe who's an Everton fan as well apparently.

If they're going to try and pluck someone from within the league you'd be looking at guys like Dyche & Howe maybe Marco Silva at Watford but all these guys will be hard to get so you're fishing in the out of work market. Allardyce apparently isn't interested in club football and if his next job is a PL job then Palace need to be compensated as technically he's retired from club management and I'm not sure he'd be that popular with the locals.

If you're looking into the Championship (which I'm sure they aren't) then Chris Wilder is the man to go for performed a miracle at Northampton getting them promoted from league 2 while the club almost went out of business players/staff not being paid for months yet they romped the league, he then left for his home town team Sheff Utd took them from League One to the Championship and now has them 3rd in his first season in that division. If that man isn't offered a job in the Premier League next season then what's the point?

My guess is they'll end up with some out of work foreign manager who doesn't require a compensation package or Nigel Pearson because he's mates with the recruitment guy that came over from Leicester.

FYI 'Leicester Recruitment Guy' = Steve Walsh

He's dined out on finding Kante just like Graham Carr did when he found Cabaye for Newcastle.

It's always a strange setup for clubs in England as the press will always praise/criticise managers based on signings but in a lot of cases they have very little to do with it.

Everton's policy in the summer seemed like a student on the day the student loan comes in, now they spent it all they've got to get to January on Tesco value spaghetti and sachets of ketchup they've nicked from Maccy's

Remember hearing that Allardyce would have to pay Palace money if he takes a job before the end of this season. Surely they can't go back to Moyes? That would be ridiculous. Think the Everton fans would riot. A lot of them were glad to see the back of him!

Remember hearing that Allardyce would have to pay Palace money if he takes a job before the end of this season. Surely they can't go back to Moyes? That would be ridiculous. Think the Everton fans would riot. A lot of them were glad to see the back of him!

I think if he takes another Premier League job before the end of his Palace contract which ran until 2019 then Palace are entitled to compensation from the club he goes to as part of his settlement package with Palace when he retired at the end of last season, think he's free to take an international job and he's recently talked up going to America.

By the end Moyes divided opinion some appreciated the stability but others felt he held them back, it was all a bit Wenger at Arsenal but rather than finish 4th they finished between 5th & 7th. They'd be mad to go back to him he showed at Utd and then Socieded & Sunderland he's yesterday's man when it comes to football management he should do the honourable thing and retire to his villa never to be seen again.

For the grief we took off them when they beat us the following season I'd love it if Moyes went back.

Don’t think Moyes is in with a shot to be honest, it would be the biggest backward step in history and Moyes reputation has taken a real hit the last few years. He’ll struggle to get a real high profile job again I would suggest.

As a betting man, I would say Dyche is a safe bet, he’s now showed at Burnley that he can comfortably keep a club in the league on a small budget. But has he done all he can with them? He maybe looking to gain a job at a bigger club with more resources.

I’ve seen in the last 24 hours that Phil Neville and Giggs have thrown their hats in the ring. Any chance for them? I would say no because of their lack of experience but all depends what the Everton hierachy want in a new manager.

Giggs has said he's interested in both jobs. I'd imagine Neville would have more of a chance at Everton wasn't he captain for a period of time? So has a history with the club.

I quite like Dyche but I can't tell if he's a good manager or a lucky one, he's painted as this defensive genuis but his tactic is basically park the bus and hope for the best and teams are getting off 20 shots a game and his keeper is man of the match most weeks, I'm not sure how long you can last before the luck runs out. Also, would the Everton fans accept his style of football? To be the manager Everton fans want it feels like Dyche would need to change a lot and if he changes will he be the same. I think they need a manager who's prepared to work with young players as they've got a lot of young talent in Pickford, Keane, Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Calvert-Lewin, Lookmen and even Barkley if a new manager can bring him back in.

Be interesting if those guys have actually applied or is this just the press chucking names around, Giggs is adament he only applied for the Swansea job but he's been linked to everyone since his retirement and is Phil Neville even interested in management he seemed to be focusing more on being a coach.

Phil Neville is an ex player and captain but I'm not sure he was that popular as a captain with the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back