Total 0
Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Romelu Lukaku | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Premier League: Brighton & Hove Albion 3-2 Manchester United - 19th August 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looked very rusty but good to get off the mark.

I still don't think he does enough, he bangs in the goals so fair play. But he deosn't do or offer much else.

I think the problem with Lukaku is that he’s the type of player that will look rusty until he’s had a few games to boost himself up, where as other strikers ala Aguero are on it straight away. Not blaming him for yesterday (well he did miss that easy chance) but I still think he needs to do more but it’s the same side as last season so he’s not going to get any better service.

Aguero is in a different league we just have to accept that Lukaku needs space to exploit Utd rarely offer him that starve him of space and he can't really hurt you because he doesn't have the close control to do that.

Aguero did have most of pre season and hardly played at the world cup so he's fresh and ready to go Lukaku looks like a guy who didn't touch a football for 3 weeks.

There's also the playing to his strength problem.

He looked rusty indeed. No service whatsoever again. He'll end up doing a Rooney/Ibra and be playing midfield within a few weeksjust trying to get himself into games which then gives us no presence up front.

It's always hard to pick up movement watching on TV but yesterday was a game where you needed the smaller nippy players to quickly interchange passes to open up gaps the launch it to Rom tactic fails when they've got 2 massive CB's who are just as good in the air.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 27th August 2018

I wasn’t really a fan of the lukaku signing, I’ve really tried to like him but I don’t think he’s good enough. He could have taken pressure off us in that spurs game

He was comfortably the worst player on the pitch

He's looked really poor in the first few games as bad as he was at any point last season.

Twice in two games he's missed easy chances at 0-0 in one vs one situations I'm sorry but that's just not good enough for a Utd striker.

The realy difference is 5 years ago we had a striker like Kane and Spurs had strikers like Lukaku our guy would only need a sniff of a goal and we'd be 1-0 up we just don't have that anymore and our other rivals do. Apart from Chelsea I'd say we're weakest of the big 6 when it comes to first choice strikers and our costs more than everyone elses.

first choice strikers, midfield and defence I would say :)

He has had a poor start to the season but the criticism on here has been excessive. He was clinical in 2017/18; he had to be given how few goal scoring opportunities were created last season.

He had a 7 game goal drought and scored 1 in 12 at one point. He’s always been a streaky player. If he’s making up for it with his all round play it’s okay but when it’s like he was on Monday night with poor first touches and misplaced passes there are problems. He could have easily had a Hatrick Monday in 25 minutes

To be fair to him, goal droughts can be expected when he’s only getting one or two chances per game. He’s all round play massively improved as the season wore on in 2017/18.

At £75m I’d expect him to be able to create a few chances for himself over the span of 11 games.

His transfer fee is irrelevant to argument. If a striker is getting limited service, his goal tally will suffer.

He missed many chances during his draught last season. It became such a thing Mourinho made a joke out of it and him not having a boot sponsor causing him a lack of confidence.

He didn’t miss many chances at all. He missed chances like most strikers do.

For a Man Utd striker he needs to be upping his game and scoring more. We don't need a player who has droughts or lean periods, we had that enough with Rooney.
Maybe I'm living in the past and forwards like Van Nistelrooy don't exist anymore.
But he's like the rest of the team, maybe even the squad, inconsistent.

We have too many players who play at 5’s and 8’s not consistently solid 7/10 performers. Totally agree. Shaw Sanchez Rashford Martial Pogba Mata Lukaku perhaps even Smalling can go from being great players to shocking players from game to game.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd September 2018

Got himself a couple today. Could have had a few more.

Thought the last 20 minutes when down to 10 he was immense. Missed that chance with the one on one but he was a menace and made it look like we wernt a man down.

3 in 4 games for Rom but good chances missed again which he won’t be happy with failed to score from 3 one vs one situations after his second goal.

His transfer fee is irrelevant to argument. If a striker is getting limited service, his goal tally will suffer.

To add to this: Lukaku had 22 big chances in 2017/18. In comparison, Van Persie had 40 big chances in 2012/13.

Would you agree he should already have 5 more goals this season?

As I’ve said, he has had a poor start to the season, but the criticism has been excessive.

Premier League: Watford v Manchester United - 15th September 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Champions League: Young Boys 0-3 Manchester United - 19th September 2018

His touch and link play was poor.

I think we are not doing enough to feed him and play through him.

He isn’t good enough with his back to go to play through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back