Robin van Persie | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en

van Persie match discussion thread for the 2014/15 season.

Pretty poor today v Sunderland. Hernandez would of been told he can't fit into this formation with a performance like that.

Both him and Rooney need to be partnered by mobility. They've not played well together before and they showed no signs of playing well together today. Mata lack of mobility doesn't help either. 3 of our best players but something has to give...

Burnley - 30/8/2014

Slow, still unfit? He and Rooney are too close.

Match fitness comes by playing more games, he's played 2 games without having a pre-season. I'm not defending him, he was poor today, but he will obviously get better the more games he gets under his belt.

He or Rooney need to play as lone strikers or with more dynamic strikers. They've never played well together as a 2, not really played well when Rooney's been a 10 and van Persie upfront. van Persie works best in a 4-3-3.

He or Rooney need to play as lone strikers or with more dynamic strikers. They've never played well together as a 2, not really played well when Rooney's been a 10 and van Persie upfront. van Persie works best in a 4-3-3.

Rooney does in my opinion. I think we should sell RvP, unless he's willing to sit on the bench.

He was not bad today. He was lacking match sharpness that much was evident in this match. It will come. A bit of tweaking and we will start winning I am pretty sure of it.

Rooney's best position for me is #9. I'd like to see him there and not running around all over the pitch. He's a very good 10 but for me lacks some of the key qualities to play there against good opposition.

He's a great goalscorer, stats don't lie. Stick him upfront and let him concentrate on scoring.

Rooney's best position for me is #9. I'd like to see him there and not running around all over the pitch. He's a very good 10 but for me lacks some of the key qualities to play there against good opposition.

He's a great goalscorer, stats don't lie. Stick him upfront and let him concentrate on scoring.

I agree, Rooney up top Mata behind, surely RvP wouldn't mind, his 30/31 getting his injury problems again & he knows the manager loves him & he Ioves LVG

I agree, Rooney up top Mata behind, surely RvP wouldn't mind, his 30/31 getting his injury problems again & he knows the manager loves him & he Ioves LVG

Ofcourse van Persie would mind why would he want to sit on the bench? You overestimate the player and the managers supposed love for each other,

I mainly mean his age, older players usually don't mind sitting out games, he'll obviously start a few games & come on most not like his never gonna play

Van Gaal on van Persie: "I think he is fitter than he was for the World Cup. He was injured before it and fought to be there. Maybe you remember I let him train the first three weeks before he played a game. I think he is fitter than ever."

Think van Gaal said "since i've managed him" after "...ever" or something like that.

Qpr - 14/9/2014

He needs a goal but this may just be me but I think he was moving better than the other games so far so hopefully he gets in the groove again.

West Ham United - 27/9/2014

[vine]https://vine.co/v/OZ6QV60Dzgq[/vine]

Looked sharper again today, and more involved. Worked really hard when Rooney got sent off too, wasn't easy up there alone. Hopefully improves further.

That's fair. Not sure what's up with him but he'd want to change something soon if he wants to keep his place.

Just average for me, I just don't think it suits him to be playing with another striker, he played alone upfront at Arsenal and mostly under Fergie too, maybe just not the player he once was though. I'd still prefer to see us playing with one striker and i'd start Falcao over him anyway. We'd have to move away from the diamond then though and there are other selection issues surrounding that too... move Di Maria wide for Rooney to play in midfield or keep Di Maria in mid and play Rooney wide in a 3? As captain I think van Gaal wants Rooney in middle at the tip of the diamond. Van Gaal said he wasn't satisfied with Rooney as a striker. Suppose the other possibility is that we stick with the diamond and play Wilson or Januzaj instead of van Persie. Expect things to stay the same for now though.

He looks like age has caught up with him. Looks laboured and slows up play too often

Yeah he does slow it down a lot, there were a couple of moves today that we didn't capitalize on as a result. Wouldn't mind seeing Januzaj up top given freedom think he'd thrive playing with those attackers around him.

Good point on MOTD last night. They had a look at the partnership between the 2 strikers and showed that they were often running into the same areas but for Falcao's goal there was 30 yards separating them.

He needs to be the main man upfront to get the best out of him. All 3 strikers are best as a 9.

Poor. Just not the same player anymore, there were a few crosses where I thought Falcao would have been there and scored. We didn't seem to create those chances when he came on though.

I don't why he is still starting and been kept on for the full 90 minutes

He needs a rest. He cannot play effectively as the lone frontman. Hasn't got the pace to beat defenders. Has been very poor this season

Chelsea - 26/10/2014

Looked sprightly in the first half, much better. Faded in the 2nd along with everybody else, great goal though.

Best he's looked in a while I'd say. Needed that goal. Perhaps would have put away another chance if he'd been in good form.

His hold up play and bringing others into play was good. Unfortunately, his work rate dropped off quite considerably in the second half, the introduction of Wilson helped. Hopefully the goal is a confidence booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back