Robert Lewandowski

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not for me.

Would still cost a bomb and would be 31 by the time the new season comes around. One I think we should stick clear of. Probably would still score goals but so did Ibra and our attacking play was stunted as a result.

I'm undecided, it's not really the way forward I want to see us go. On the other hand we have some really promising youth that aren't quite ready, he could maybe tide us over. He's got the sort of clinical finshing we are missing.

He was still banging in the golas last year, top scorer with 8 in 6 in the CL knockouts. 22 in 32 in the league, 10 assists.

Not really one I would go for, but I wouldn't be disappointed.

bringing him in for Lukaku I would be happy with

I think he's now in that stage of his career like Zlatan where he will always score goals but the extra bits you used to get outside the box will become less relevant because he'll need to manage himself through seasons but he's never been reliant on speed to score goals. His days as a world class number 9 are over but he might be a helpful member of a young squad my guess is if he leave Bayern he'll do it to join a club that will challenge for the Champions League though.

Think I put on another thread he's obviously on big wages but if Bayern are prepared to be reasonable on fee you might get a short term RVP effect from him.

There were rumours back in 2012 we had a deal for Lewendowski basically done when we got word that RVP wanted to come. Fergie decided on the nailed on RVP solution rather than the gamble on Lewendowski. He had a belting season for Dortmund that year then ended up at Bayern.

He'll want big wages and he will stunt and progress by Rashford but if the fee was relatively low I think you can make a case for him as part of a 2-3 year plan.

The squad and especially that front line need some experience and Lewendowski definitely has the personality to be the number 9 at Utd.

He'd be mad to leave Bayern to come here though my guess is he'll be looking at trying to get himself into spain or maybe even Juventus if they can shift Higauin.

I don’t think we can afford a 2-3 year plan though. This short termism is what is getting us into this mess. We need to bring in young guys who are going to play here for 10 years, not 2-3. Obviously I know it’s hard sometimes to identify players who will be here for the long haul and we have been burned a couple of times by young guys coming in and not delivering like Depay.

The RVP signing worked out brilliantly for us but I don’t see Lewandowski having the same impact and for what he would still cost I don’t think it’s a risk worth taking.

No thanks. I get that we want a proven striker but he's the wrong side of 30, he'll cost a bomb and he's never played in England so could flop. We need new young blood. I know we need experience too but I'm not sure he's the right way to go.

I don’t think we can afford a 2-3 year plan though. This short termism is what is getting us into this mess. We need to bring in young guys who are going to play here for 10 years, not 2-3. Obviously I know it’s hard sometimes to identify players who will be here for the long haul and we have been burned a couple of times by young guys coming in and not delivering like Depay.

The RVP signing worked out brilliantly for us but I don’t see Lewandowski having the same impact and for what he would still cost I don’t think it’s a risk worth taking.

I think you need both long and short term thinking in squads you can't always be waiting 2-3 years for plans to come together because things change a key player might get injured or leave so you go back to the start this is what happened to Arsenal. Sometimes you need to make decisions for now because you have to sustain success to avoid falling behind.

This squad is screaming out for some proper leadership from senior players we all saw the effect Zlatan had on them I think it needs something like that not suggesting it's all we introduce but it needs 1 or 2 who can guide the next group.

The best Utd sides have always had a great mix of youth and experience and I think that's something that you get at most top clubs the tricky bit is moving the experienced guys out the way once they start to go over the edge.

the long plan would be for him to guide players like Greenwood and Rashford for 2 or 3 years wouldn't it?

the long plan would be for him to guide players like Greenwood and Rashford for 2 or 3 years wouldn't it?

Yeah something like that for me the move should be.

Rashford number 1
New signing experienced number 2
Greenwood number 3 playing U23 plus some league cup/Europa games in the first half of the season then possibly a loan deal in the second half of the season.

I think the circumstances we face next season with no CL football we have to give Rashford a chance to take that spot and really make it his own because if he can reach that next level and be a 25-30 goal a season striker that is saving the club £100m+.

If you bring in someone like Lewendowski you have to put him as the number 1 which stops Rashford progressing.

If Rashford doesn't really cut it next season then you have to bite the bullet and go for a new striker.

Surely it depends on the price? You’re talking about one of the best strikers in Europe. I think you take him and let him lead the line. We’re a ridiculously poor side at the moment when it comes to finishing chances and he’s one of the most proven around at doing just that.

He should probably have been signed years back when he was interested in joining us. Love the rumours about when he was supposed to join Blackburn and had agreed a price and wages but the Ash volcano cancelled his flight over to complete his medical.

We can’t afford to be too long term thinkers because before you know it we’re regularly finishing outside the top 6. Next season is going to be a struggle and having a proven goal scorer of his ability would definitely help. Say we got rid of Lukaku for £50m and brought in Lewondowski for £30m that’s a good bit of business and covers us whilst Rashford grows.

He’s got 22 goals in 32 games and 7 assist in a season that’s been a struggle for Bayern at the start though they came good just in time. They’re trying to get him to sign a new contract and want him to stay but he’s been in fist fights in training and wants a fresh start and has already rejected two contract offers.

I think he’ll replace Cavani at PSG though.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back