Rest in Peace, Ray Wilkins

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Incredibly sad news coming out just now. He was a real gent whenever he was a pundit and I am too young to remember him playing in his prime but he was always revered.

Rest in peace Ray.

Scored a great cup final goal that sent me wild.

Liked him as a player and a man, even though he was a bit Chelsea biased.

I heard he had a heart attack over the weekend. RIP butch.

He'd been battling the booze on and off for many years and it seems like the last few have been very tough which is why you don't see him around as much as we maybe did 5 years ago but I think plenty of clubs have tried helping him but when you're dealing with addiction that doesn't always work.

Such a shame what addiction can do to you like others have said 61 is no age and plenty of people I've heard speaking have said he was an absolute gent.

I didn't know he had an addiction! he had a bypass a while ago, and I guess the heart attack is something to do with that?

Ex-footballer Ray Wilkins sentenced for drink-driving

He admittted to being an alcoholic when we was charged with drink driving a few years back, wasn't the first time he was charged with drink driving either. I think up to that point his addiction issues had been kept pretty private.

Know someone who saw him fairly recently and said he looked in a bad way, stunk of booze and was staggering around the streets.

oh dear, even so, he came across as a nice man. And certainly provided some great moments in a united shirt.

I remember him well as a player. He was labelled the crab due to his alleged sideways passing which was totally unfair. His forward passing was outstanding but he would never just punt the ball forward if there was no pass on, preferring to keep the ball with a sideways pass. Within a matter of weeks he lost the captaincy of United and England to Bryan Robson but I never heard him complain about it. He was one of my early favourites and I am gutted with this news. I extend my sympathy to his family and friends.

Very sad. Didn't get to see him play but the more I read about him it seems like he was quite similar in style to Carrick and both were criticised for the same things.

RIP Ray Wilkins. Just last month I remember seeing him on football today. Sad to hear about his death.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back