Replacing Mata with Rojo with 20 minutes remaining

Sideshow Bob

What are your thoughts on replacing Mata with Rojo with 20 minutes remaining? Was it poor management as it made the team sit back and invite pressure when we had control of the game? Or was it good game management considering the fixture list and fatigue?

Quite clear that the whole squad is struggling at the moment, Jose said it would be difficult for Mkhi to play a part despite being on the bench and Martial was only just back from injury so options were limited.

Not the way we want to play and don't think it's what Jose wants but needs must at the minute, just finding a way to win.

Ì think we got away with it because we won. However just sticking a load of centre halfs on to contend with one big man with a hamstring injury for me is pretty poor. I think all we did is put them on the front foot in terms of getting the ball in the box and we had thst many in there we caused ourselves confusion. I guess needs must and all that but we could have easily thrown that game away.

Mourinho: "We decide to defend with an extra defender, but I think the mistake we made was of letting them push us too much into our box chances and then it was a fighting 15 minutes where they didn't have chances. But they were close to the dangerous areas so the game was alive until the last second."

I think ultimately it's hard to argue the decision as we held out. But if Boro would have scored then we'd all be questioning the decision a lot more. I guess that's the joys of football management?! And everyone else being just as much of an expert.

Personally I don't like the decision but you could see why he did it and it worked out. That said, did we not have Valencia (now a RB), Young (who has and can play LB) and then 3 central defenders anyway?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back