Ray Wilkins leaves Chelsea with immediate effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

Chelsea Football Club have revealed that Ray Wilkins will not have his contract renewed and has left Chelsea with immediate effect.

"On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea Football Club," said the Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay. "We all wish him well for the future."

Interesting. More details to follow.

Last edited:
It's been suggested that something went on last night...

Apparently he was sacked at Half Time in a Reserves Game. Shocking. Zola to Chelsea as assistant? I hope it doesn't go down to well either in the dressing room, I seem to remember Mourinho's sacking affecting them too.

Strange that - seems like he was doing nothing wrong. Something must have gone on there we didn't know about - either that or he was there to translate for Ancelotti but Ancelotti is now confident enough with his English that he doesn't want him any more (I know how long a shot this would be, just chucking it out there as a possiblity, however remote). Our new reserves manager anyone? :p

They seemed friendly on the sidelines last night. Some think he's left over Carlo Ancelotti taking his hat last night as he was cold... not sure about that. haha.

I think it's more to do with missing the core of the team, Terry, Lampard and Essien plus Drogba isn't 100%. We'll see though, only time will tell if Wilkins' departure has had an effect.

Wilkins is probably quite smug tonight though. I'm still baffled that they decided to sack him at this stage of the season. Not the right time really to do things like that especially when you're top of the league.

What we do know is that Chelsea's strength in depth is non existant. Although this McEachran lad that's coming through for them looks pretty good.

i dont think its all that strange really.. if you think about it when foreign managers come to an EPL club they usually bring in their own backroom staff. I think Ancelotti didnt do this at chelsea right away because he knew Wilkins from his Milan days, he speaks good Italian, knows the club inside out and has respect of the players. Now that Ancelottis english is much better and he has built up his own knowledge and respect of the club/players, it seems a logical move. The timing is slightly odd but maybe that relates to when the incoming coach(es) circumstances.

Can we take Wilkins in as Ole's replacement, just to rub it in a bit more.

Ancelotti's getting sacked apparently.

Edit: He's not getting sacked or resigning but something is being announced about his position tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back