Raphaël Varane | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

Was great to see him finally unveiled yesterday and really excited to see him and Maguire as a partnership. He should dovetail nicely with the captain.

Hopefully he gets a good week of training in and can start against Southampton next weekend.

Varane's stats against Leeds were shocking: 0 aerial duels won, 0 tackles, 0% pass completion, 0 shots on target. Worrying...

1 selfie, a 1 standing ovation and didn’t give the ball away once.

Cracking debut.

Premier League: Wolves 0-1 Manchester United - 29th August 2021

Imperious debut.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tough game but he handled what they threw at us well, you can see his quality.

Champagne performance. It was a tough game and the whole defence was exposed but he won some real tough headers and to top it off got an assist.

One or two little moments on Saturday where he got caught napping a bit but this guys a rolls royce of a defender looks like he's playing the game in slippers with a pipe on the go.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-1 Aston Villa - 25th September 2021

His ability on the ball is not what was advertised.

Easy to pick at him after a disappointing performance but think he’s been very good since he arrived.

Came off for France last night with an injury.

He walked off the pitch looked like a hamstring issue as it went when he blocked a cross.

over stretched by all accounts, walked off, so hopefully just a couple of weeks.

So it's Lindelof and Bailly for these up coming tough fixtures.

Think Maguire is due back after the international break so hopefully it'll just be back to Maguire and Lindelof.

Groin injury being reported not thought to be to serious but you'd expect as a minimum that's a few weeks.

Not good with the fixtures we've got coming up.

Saw reports it could be only 1 week ,i hope so
need him and Maguire to play week in and out to get that relationship gelling

Certainly hope it's less! To lose him in the upcoming games is a big loss. We suffered when Harry was out. Having both of them together, puts us in an enviable situation where we have 2 proven WC CBs taking charge of the back line!

I read that Maguire is out of the Leicester game? Not sure how reliable that is given the game is still a few days away.

Utd confirm he’s out for a few weeks no return date given.

Big games for him to be missing

Atalanta 2-2 Man Utd

Felt his hamstring again and was off after 30 minutes last night have to assume that's him out of the derby and hopefully France don't call him up for their international games let him sort out the problem over the break.

This was one of my worries when we went for him picks up a lot of injuries and we really needed a settled defence.

He doesn't actually pick up many injuries if you read his record. Early on he did, but since about 2018 it's 2 or 3 weeks a season, which isn't that much for a CB
Maybe the amount he now has to defend is putting a strain on his body :p

Not always the most accurate way of doing it but in 38 game La Liga seasons his appearenances are

31, 32, 32, 27, 23, 26, 28

It's a bit rough but he's missing 25% of games most seasons.

Was asking a guy just back from a hamstring injury to play 2 games in 3 days to much of a gamble?

Think Lindelof is out injured too. So probably means we have to play 4 at the back Sunday.

It’s fortunate that we have the International break, so he won’t miss as many games as usual in a month out. Going to be very much missed against City - Bailly and Maguire are going to have to be on top of their games.

Phil Jones your club needs you.

Luckily internationals will be 2 weeks of that but they need to stop rushing players back.

Hopefully Southgate drops Maguire because of form and he gets 2 weeks off.

We seem to be rushing players back. Looks like both Maguire and Varane needed more recuperation.
I think this has been a fairly common trend the last year or so. Rushing players back or them playing through injuries.

Due to return to training next week wonder if that means he might be back for the Newcastle game on 27th.

They can't gamble on rushing him again make sure he's fully fit and hopefully we can have him available for the second half of the season.

Who's he coming in for? I'd say Lindelof has been our best CB. But Maguires form has picked up.

Some of the grumbling in the background was apparantly re: Oles love in with Maguire. Getting the armband so quickly and not getting dropped.

When Maguire got the armband for me there was no other candidate for me it was deserved even if he'd only just arrived at the club.

I do think Ole's loyalty to a number of under performing players is what eventually cost him his job had he made some big calls after Liverpool over Maguire, Shaw or Bruno maybe things would have turned out different who knows.

It's a tricky one as you say Lindelof has been the better performer this season and with the new manager there shouldn't be any past loyalties so I guess it will be decided on who is in form when Varane returns and if the manager wants to break that partnership just to put Varane back in.

There should be no guarantee that Varane walks back in if Maguire/Lindelof have a good partnership going and are in form why would you change them?

There should be no guarantee that Varane walks back in if Maguire/Lindelof have a good partnership going and are in form why would you change them?
Varane is twice the defender Maguire is... I'd actually drop Maguire before I dropped Lindelof at times.

Played well against Wolves, probably his best game for United, he's slowly getting up to the pace of the PL and should really kick on now.

I'd always pick Maguire if he was fit, but i'd also like to see Varane and Bailly play 10/12 matches together as it could be an ideal partnership, but with Eric away at the AFCoN we ain't seeing that again anytime soon.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back