Rangers v Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to this game. We ain't conceded yet in the Champions League this season, not scored much either though. Rangers got a few problems at the back at the moment I heard on Radio5Live earlier which bodes well after their negative approach last time.

Think Kuz might get a shot, O'Shea too, Vida and/or Rio might get a rest, I think Evra might play, Giggs to come in, Scholes in, Carrick or Fletch to partner, Nani to play, Berba and Rooney up top. Hoping to see Eikrem on the bench, not optimistic about it though with Ando likely to be back and Gibson around, I think we're back to full strength now... minus Valencia and Hargo obviously, so it'll be hard for Eikrem to get in. Hope Gibson gets a chance sometime in the next few weeks, been critical of him but willing to give him a few more chances.

i think Giggsy might be on the bench for this one, Rooney and Berba up top i guess, we might rest Nani as well, i can see Obertan making another start with Park on the other wing. Scholesy and Fletcher/Gibbo will start in midfield, Evans and Vida in defense i guess. If TK is leaving, and if Sir Alex doesn't want to play him, we could see Amos get a start? JOS down the right i guess and Fabio at LB?

Hoping Eikrem makes the bench, maybe even one of Morrison/Brady make the trip with the team too? don't think they'll make the bench though

i doubt he'll play Rooney upfront alone, and with qualification almost sure i don't see why not, i think we might see a few youngsters on the bench too

Rangers are quite a defensive team too, no point going 4-5-1 with little creativity in midfield against a defensive side as seen at OT. I'm interested to see if Berba is buoyed by the return of Rooney next to him too.

Rangers know nothing else than a win gives them a chance of qualification for the next round...this will open the game abit and see them come at us! can see us playing on the counter and waiting for them to, inevitably, tire then score a few!

Considering we'll face Valencia, Arsenal and Chelsea in sequence, it's essential a win on wednesday to ensure qualification to knockout stages now

I don't not believe Rangers will play as he played at Old Trafford. They need to win if they want to qualify and certainly they won't parking the bus in defence.

Kuszczak, Rafael, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Chicharito

I still think they'll be defensive despite needing a win, not as defensive as at Old Trafford but they won't go all out. They did it in their UEFA Cup run to the final in 2008 and it worked when they needed wins.

Rafa won't play i think, 3 points against Blackburn this weekend is essential so i think we might not see most of the first team play, i can see both teams settling for a draw.

Amos/TK; Brown, Smalling, Evans, Fabio; Obertan, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Giggs; Rooney
( if TK is moving in Jan, Amos might get a start)

A risk playing Rooney on his own after only playing 30 mins in the last 2 months? Did he look fit enough on the weekend to play on his own? If he did I agree we might go 4-5-1 but if not we'll go 4-4-2. I'd also like Gibson to get a chance if we go 4-5-1.

Rooney looked fitter than he did pre-injury actually but his game can get worse when he gets frustrated, he did look a bit subdued against Wigan?
there's equally good chance that we might go 4-4-2 with Berba and Roo

I hope we do actually, Berba and Rooney looked good together at the start of the season, Rooney might not have been in goalscoring form, but he was creating. 4 assists from him this season so far and he's only played about 6 games games I think.

Rooney being deeper worked for Berba earlier in the season, maybe they can help each other rediscover goalscoring form. I'd be happy with Carrick Fletcher starting again, games should help them but Scholes being rested on Saturday tells me, he'll play.

Not sure i'd be happy with that defence. Brown, JOS, Evans not in the best form and Evans and Smalling are rather inexperienced. I'd like to see the ever present Vida in there. he can have a rest next week when the League Cup is on.

Evans isn't inexperienced really, he's been playing a lot last season and a regular international too, but in poor form off late, i think playing him at Ibrox will be a confidence boost for him. I don't think we'll see both Fletch and Carrick play, one of them will be rested from the weekend? and i think we might Fabio rather than JOS at LB

Rio and Vidic won't travel to Glasgow. Appearently, will be rested to Rovers match next saturday. Another great chance for Smalling and Evans

Rio and Vidic won't travel to Glasgow. Appearently, will be rested to Rovers match next saturday. Another great chance for Smalling and Evans

I rate Chris Smalling, definitely more so than Evans. Yes, he is a little rough around the edges, but you can see that the talent and potential to become a United star are there. Similar defender to Rio.

United Squad:

Van der Sar,Amos.
Rafael, Fabio, Evra, Evans, Smalling, O'Shea, Brown.
Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs, Nani, Obertan, Bebe, Park.
Chicharito, Rooney, Berba, Macheda.

With Scholes not playing on the weekend I think he'll play unless SAF is keeping him fresh for Arsenal and Chelsea...

VDS; O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs; Berbatov, Rooney ( Unconfirmed )

Confirmed Team: VDS; O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Fabio; Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney; Berbatov

Told you they'd be defensive, this is Rangers, this is how they get results. This is how they got to the UEFA Cup Final.

I think we've got enough tonight to break them though. Plus Chicha off the bench.

The 06/07 Carrick was back, thought Fabio did really well

Carrick my MOTM, Fabio and Smalling also brilliant. Evans did well but a few dodgy moments. Perhaps a bit rusty. Giggs and Scholes were probably 2 of our worst performers, not saying they were shit or anywhere near that, they had solid game's, nothing more. O'Shea too. Rooney looked fit to me, looked a lot thinner to me too. Berba, the only thing that let him down was frustration, he gets frustrated easily, started after 11 mins and finished when he walked off the pitch. Apart from that I thought he played well, good work. Nani had an average game, not been the same since injury. He was still good but not as effective as he has been pre-injury. As long as he's back on top form by Arsenal/Chelsea games. Van Der Sar saved us a few times, he's still got it. Chicha and Gabby weren't on long enough. Thought Ando looked alright for first game in a month, hope we can fit him in a bit more.No one at the club has long hair now by the way, Ando's had his cut. Club Policy?

Brilliant performance by Carrick, MOTM by miles.
Don't really care that Rooney scored, would have preferred Berbatov scoring it.
Nani back to his 'best' again

Smalling did well too.

Follow Follow Follow ...

Didn't expect to see so much "audacity" from mr Walter Smith last night. Playing 5-4-1 at home when need a win to qualify it's a thing I hadn't seen for a long time.

I expected a tough game and that's what happened. It was basically a replay of the game at Old Trafford. Rangers defending deeply, relying on counterattacks and United dominated the game but with a huge problems to going through the blue wall.

Our best option was Fabio on the left. The Link-up Between him and Giggs was working fwell. After all, the team still missing many passes.

Great performances by Smalling, Carrick, Scholes and Fabio. Rooney still needs to regain fitness, But i liked his performances in the last two games. I'm just a little uncomfortable with his new style of taking penalties. I got the impression that he'd miss yesterday. Now he's running to the left before running to the ball. And this thing can become a kinda predictable soon.

Spot on Knockout stages guaranteed. Now we can have fully focus on the Premier League again.

Rangers totally deserved that.deserve absolutely nothing for this embarrassment.Knowing that anythig less than a win and their CL dream is over,yet they went out with 5 defenders including 3 centre backs,2 holding midfielders.It was ridiculous.United were the only ones who were trying to win the match and thoroughly deserved it.

Carrick was very good.he did a lot defensively as well as being excellent with the ball.he was our best player last night.Full marks to both Smalling and Evans for a good performance defensively and a clean sheet.Chris Smalling has played in 4 of the 5 CL games this season, keeping a clean sheet every time. Some talent! Full credit to Evans as well for a superb display.Thought Fabio was brilliant tonight. Better than I've ever seen him and better than I was expecting.Some thoroughly good defending and attacking from him and it was superb speed and skill that got him felled for the penalty.The more you see that Fabio cross to Rooney(which he headed onto the crossbar),the better it gets.Despite Evra not playing we did not lose our impetus going forward from them left side.Top performance from him.Berbatov should have clearly had a penalty,don't know who the linesman was looking at when the incident happened.Berba was immense whenever he dropped into a deep position.Rangers just couldn't handle him.Great ball from Carrick to Fabio that lead to the penalty. Well taken penalty by Rooney,felt his celebration was superficial and a little bit cringeworthy.

Rangers totally deserved that.deserve absolutely nothing for this embarrassment.Knowing that anythig less than a win and their CL dream is over,yet they went out with 5 defenders including 3 centre backs,2 holding midfielders.It was ridiculous.United were the only ones who were trying to win the match and thoroughly deserved it.

Carrick was very good.he did a lot defensively as well as being excellent with the ball.he was our best player last night.Full marks to both Smalling and Evans for a good performance defensively and a clean sheet.Chris Smalling has played in 4 of the 5 CL games this season, keeping a clean sheet every time. Some talent! Full credit to Evans as well for a superb display.Thought Fabio was brilliant tonight. Better than I've ever seen him and better than I was expecting.Some thoroughly good defending and attacking from him and it was superb speed and skill that got him felled for the penalty.The more you see that Fabio cross to Rooney(which he headed onto the crossbar),the better it gets.Despite Evra not playing we did not lose our impetus going forward from them left side.Top performance from him.Berbatov should have clearly had a penalty,don't know who the linesman was looking at when the incident happened.Berba was immense whenever he dropped into a deep position.Rangers just couldn't handle him.Great ball from Carrick to Fabio that lead to the penalty. Well taken penalty by Rooney,felt his celebration was superficial and a little bit cringeworthy.

Well said, agree with all of the above.
Fabio I thought was MOTM and Smalling was faultless. Good to see young players making a real impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back