Racism in Today's Multi Cultural Society

Shoot

It's not a subject that can be ignored, or should be ignored, so lets have a thread on it.
We need to start tentatively by briefly introducing ourselves and answering the questions as per below. The rest I am sure will come naturally as the thread progresses. I will start it off in a follow up post.

1. Who are you? what is your ethnic origin and do you now live in a country in which you were not born or did not grow up in
2. Have you ever been subjected to racial abuse? and if so was regular and/or sustained.
3. Have you yourself ever been guilty of racism? and if so did this involve subjecting another(s) to racist abuse?
4. How do you currently view racism in the country where you currently live or country from where you originate?

Shoot

1. I left my home town of Glasgow when I was 18 and the UK was under a Maggie Thatcher Government.
I left mainly in search of employment, seeing no future other than one of crime and punishment under that Government. Indeed her side kick Tebbit had actually made the statement for folk to get on their bikes to find employment.
Thatcher clearly had no time for Scotland or Wales and had clear determination to destroy all industry within these country's with no plan on how this would be replaced. This in itself could have been determined as racist had it not been the case that she clearly had the same distain for the northern regions of England. She clearly considered the UK to be the South East of England.

2. I have been subjected to racial abuse on many occasions from English people in England. Never regular or sustained and certainly not enough to trouble me too much other than finding it, on a couple of occasions very disappointing. I suspect this behaviour would have a greater impact on people who are not from the UK and more so if it is down to skin colour.

3. I have never, or certainly do not recall ever subjecting anyone to racial abuse. I do however admit to having had racist thoughts over the years. These thoughts have become less and less thankfully through education and the consciousness of the British people to help stamp racism out.

4. I am proud to be firstly Scottish and British. When i visit Scotland it always strikes me that it is a welcoming and tolerant country. Indeed in this day in age there are many Asian's who are proud to call themselves Scottish. When I left these would have only been kids if they were born at all. I was only accustomed to their father's who ran the local shops and from my memory were treated respectfully.
I think the United Kingdom is at the forefront of fighting racism and it is good to be one of those people. Most people who I know in England think and act likewise.

jsp

1. Who are you? what is your ethnic origin and do you now live in a country in which you were not born or did not grow up in
I'm a white British (English) male have never lived outside of England.

2. Have you ever been subjected to racial abuse? and if so was regular and/or sustained.
No have regularly mixed with other racial groups in sports/schools/work environments but fair to say I've always been part of the ethnic majority in those situations.

3. Have you yourself ever been guilty of racism? and if so did this involve subjecting another(s) to racist abuse?
Probably have to answer yes in my younger years saying words or things as "banter" not really understanding the meanings and never with the intention of hurting the person they were said to just part of "in jokes" with mates that in the wider context could easily by considered racist. As I've got older I've become much more sensitive to it and what this stuff means and don't really engage with that sort of banter even when it's going on around me which from working in construction is pretty common stuff.

4. How do you currently view racism in the country where you currently live or country from where you originate?
I don't think it's got any worse than it was 20/30 years ago huge strides have been made on it but I think those who believe that their race is the more superior have certainly become less afraid of being caught saying it in public. We now have a lot of second or third generations from the immigrants who came in the 70's/80's who would class themselves as British but plenty of those who never accepted their parents/grandparents when they arrived still don't accept their kids. I don't think social media has been a good thing for this progress as there are people on all sides who like to bring race into everything and stoke fires trying to divide people rather than unite people.

It's still there and I'd say in the last decade it's probably been on the rise a recession, followed by austerity government and the rise of social media has probably stoked some of that but I still think it's a small minority the issue is they're a very loud minority who get a lot of attention for what they do. I do think a lot of white working class frustration can be easily transferred into racism because these people just want someone to blame for something.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now