Quarter-Final: Sweden v England

Nothing to fear from Sweden. They were okay against Switzerland but definitely not a team we should be beaten by. However, it is a quarter final and anything can happen.

Just no penalty shoot out lads, that tonight was horrendous!

Going to be a horrible game to watch as Sweden are so tough to play against but we should have enough to get past them.

Was really impressed by Sweden defensively, especially Lindelof, think Lustig got suspended so they'll have to make a change there.

going to be a tough game, Lindeloff having a good tournamnet, maybe saved united 70m

Really really tough game this one. I fear our lack of a player who can unlock a defense may hurt us.

Sweden are exceptional in defense. Better than Columbia and we struggled to unlock them. We will need to keep a clean sheet I think otherwise more penalties may be coming our way.

And for the love of God please drop Sterling.

Sweden have very little going forward, it's defo going to be us trying to break them down.

Our lack of goals from open play is a worry as Sweden are very good at set pieces so it's going to be tough to score from one of them but like last night can we force someone into making a mistake and holding on to a player which might get us a penalty.

Vardy's a doubt for the game but not sure this is a game for him as there will be no space for him to exploit.

My guess is it'll be the same team again can't see him changing anyone unless there are injuries or the 120 minutes have wiped players out.

We struggled to create a chance last night against a good Columbia defence I think it'll be the same vs Sweden who are a proper bogey side for us at major tournaments so can only see another tight close game could even go to pens again.

Deli Alli has to be dropped he clearly isn’t fit

Vardy was on paper a good choice as sub at the time as they were playing higher up as were chasing the game but that changed pretty quickly as they scored and England couldn't do anything with it then from that moment until the 2nd period of extra time. Sweden certainly won't be a game for him.

Probably be same again but I would change Dele for Loftus-Cheek and Sterling for Rashford or even Welbeck as they work harder off the ball and have offered more as goalscorers for England. A lot broke down at Sterling last night it seemed to me. Looking at the stats no key passes from him either. Just doesn't seem to offer anything to the team; no crosses, no shots on target, no key passes, nothing defensively. I'm totally against this media hate on him but he isn't playing well at all and perhaps that's affecting him.

I would have brought Rashford on at teh time he brough on Vardy, to try and peg the colombians back a little.

I actually thought Sterling did ok.

Think I'd start with the same team, unless Deli is unfit.

If we go two up I'd take Henderson off to protect his yellow. Becasue if we win, I think we will struggle in the semi without him.

I think Sterling played ok but he needs to provide a cutting edge either creating chances or getting shots on goal, he's doing good work getting himself into space with clever turns and dribbles but he needs something at the end of it. 2 years without a goal is a problem.

My solution assuming he's fit would be get Alli up with Kane then put Loftus-Cheek into the midfield.

I like Rashford off the bench think against tired defences he can do a lot of damage.

I think Sterling played ok but he needs to provide a cutting edge either creating chances or getting shots on goal, he's doing good work getting himself into space with clever turns and dribbles but he needs something at the end of it. 2 years without a goal is a problem.

He's playing as a striker, his lack of goals is a huge problem. Yeah OK he worked hard the other night but he offered nothing. He held the ball up well but we don't need that from him. And playing OK at this stage of the WC will get us eliminated.

he started runnng at the defence whereas before he was just passing. I think he is growing in confidence.

He's playing as a striker, his lack of goals is a huge problem. Yeah OK he worked hard the other night but he offered nothing. He held the ball up well but we don't need that from him. And playing OK at this stage of the WC will get us eliminated.

He desperately needs a goal but I think he's linking things up quite nicely but he is the most at risk player in terms of the starting XI.

I think it would be a shame to drop him from the start seeing as he seems to be growing in confidence. I would start same team if all fit. Try and get an early lead and take off yellow card risks.

If you drop him now he'd be useless for the rest of the tourny as far as his confidence. Rashford deserves a run out at some point.

I agree leave it as it is team should stay the same unless there are injuries and I think Rashford off the bench against a team that is starting to tire is a great weapon, I think having that player is vital in modern football it's why I liked the job share role he was doing with Martial at the start of last season.

I think it's harsh to go over the top about Sterling vs Columbia as no one really created anything from open play in that especially up the middle as Columbia had two brilliant CB's who handled everything and they packed the midfield.

I think he has been rubbish tbh. He can run and beat players but too often just runs down blind alleys. If he was playing as a winger then there is a case to keep playing him but I see no reason to keep a playing him as a striker. I know he isn't an out and out striker and he hasn't always played there but 23 games without a goal is woeful

I think there is a wider problem apart from the Tunisia game I don't think we've really created any chances from open play we've done great from corners and set pieces but in open play we've not really had that cutting edge since the first game.

I was thinking the same, it penalties or nowt.

Should have taken Wilshere

I don't think Wilshere would make a difference I think the system has been a problem because we are slow to build up from the back which allows team to get settled into their defensive shape which at this level is very tough to break down we then don't really have the width to pull that shape apart and break through the lines.

I felt going into the knockout rounds we might have been better having Vardy up top with Kane which allowed Kane to drop into the pocket but always have a man ahead of him and have those 2 working in tandem bit like Suarez & Cavani do for Uruguay plus with Vardy on the shoulder you've always got the options of that quick release into the channel.

I think Sterling has linked well with the midfielders in attacking moves but he's not providing that final moment which you need but it's a winning team so do you risk changing it?

This game feels destined for pens we'll attacking for 120 minutes and struggle to break them down and they'll spring the odd counter attack the most important thing vs Sweden is don't go behind we must get the first goal.

I think we'll beat these. They aren't a good team by any stretch of the imagination. Rashford to tear Lindelof a new one.

I don't think we're particularly great either but worth noting they beat France in qualifying and Italy in a playoff.

They are just a nightmare to score against because they stick 10 men behind the ball very similar to Iceland super organised but with better players.

You just have to be patient and keep probing them to hold your nerve and punish them when eventually a chance breaks your way.

They do look very good at the back, coupled with out lack of creativity it will be hard, probably a tough watch too.

Could easily go to pens but I am going for 1 - 0 England win.

We need to get Harry Kane 10 yards further forward though. He's coming to deep and then when he's on the ball has nothing in front of him.

PS, don't know whether to gamble on not going any further and have a wine with the match, or save it for the semi.

Only allowed a drink every now and then.

It's the World Cup you can have a win with both.

We need to get Harry Kane 10 yards further forward. He's coming too deep to get involved and then there is no one infront of him and we end up going sideways / backwards and losing the ball.

It's the World Cup you can have a win with both.

We need to get Harry Kane 10 yards further forward. He's coming too deep to get involved and then there is no one infront of him and we end up going sideways / backwards and losing the ball.

That's how he plays though as it means he can work angles for shots outside the box but it's vital when he comes deep that the other guy pushes on and vica versa I don't think we've quite got that balance with Sterling alongside as he's normally coming short too. That's why I think maybe having that second striker with him would be better but it maybe is a little late to get that understanding going.

Kane coming short is often how players like Alli & Lingard get chances because he draws the defence forward which allows them to make the runs beyond him to get in behind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you noticed how Keown can't say anything positive about a united player.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back