Premier League TV Rights

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

Didn't realise that the last time they did a domestic deal the rights fell by 10%.

You can see why these owners are getting worried as the revenue streams are drying up for them.

Everything seems to be trending downwards for them.

Personally i think this is good for football across the globe
Less money putting in reduces crazy wages,will put off greedy business men to invest just to make huge profits and more fans being able to afford tickets as prices fall.

Strange how the TV packages went down in 2018 yet my Sky/BT bill keeps going up?

Really it needs to hit home to the players/agents that costs in football simply have to come down and that means wages need to reduce but that requires all the top clubs to get behind the same plan to drive down costs.

FT reporting that BT are looking to sell off BT Sport as they can't make it pay.

I'm not surprised, these subscriptions are too expensive. I imagine the take up is pretty low.

I think they did a lot of cheap deals early on to get people to sign up but realised it is not sustainable from memory a lot of their early stuff was targetted at getting you to join them for phone/broadband and they'd chuck BT sport in for free for 12 months.

Think currently I pay about £25 a month for BT on top of sky.

Tke me for example, when I was in my 20's I used to watch all the matches. But I don't have the time, or to be honest, the interest to watch anything other than united.

So I would be paying BT 25 and say Sky the same, 50 quid a month to watch 4 games or so assuming every game is shown, I don't know if they are. I just wouldn't pay that. I'm very happy to listen on the radio while I'm doing something else, and then watch MoTD. I can cut the grass, make a Sunday roast, do all sorts of jobs while listening to the radio. I recommend more people do it to be honest.

I do think, the CL needs to go back on to non paying TV. This is why interest is being lost. i used to love those Tues/Wed nights. Different topic, but BBC losing the Masters golf is a terrible shame too. If kids don't get to watch, they don't get the hero's and they won't play.

I might be wrong but in normal times when you still have games that aren't allowed to be shown I think you get 6 games on TV every weekend 4 on Sky and 2 on BT and over a season I'd say probably 75% of the Utd games are selected for TV you might have 8 games that aren't shown live. BT have all the European matches.

Plus say 12 games in the Cup/Europe.

So that's 42 games in total

So in a year you spend about £600 on your two sports packages so you're paying around £14 a game if you just watch Utd.

To be honest I think a kid playing sport comes from your parents not necessarily watching on TV all my mates who play golf for example have dads who played golf regularly mine didn't really play so I never really got into it.

I do think it's important that certain sporting events are shown on free to air TV.

My dad took me to the driving range a couple of times, he didn't really play golf. I got into golf after watching Seve at the Masters and the open. And a round with Allis, pro celeb golf etc.
Likewise, Snooker, I used to go and play that because I watched it on TV.

Cricket is worried fewer and fewer kids are taking it up post Sky TV deal so there must be something in it.

I guess there's a number of factors for all sports.

1) less open space for kids to play sport in.
2) more control from parents over the time kids spend outside. As a kid from about 10 I was basically allowed out until it was dark I don't think that rule really applies to kids now busier roads etc parents probably don't want their kids out on the streets as much.
3) more choice when taking up a sport has seen off traditional sports. It's a lot easier to throw a basketball around in one of those cages than trying to sort out a game of Tennis, Golf or Cricket for groups of kids.
4) The rise of video games and the way kids interact with them there's an industry around kids watching people play video games which to me is mad but when you think about it is it really that different from watching football on TV.
5) the cost of sport especially sports like Cricket and Golf and they are very seasonal. If a kid doesn't play cricket for 6 months through the winter will they still want to do it the following summer?

I think where Cricket is missing a trick is not getting the 20/20 stuff on free to air TV as that is the version of cricket that will attract kids to the sport but reality is it probably is a dying sport.

Government have approved the roll over so the TV deals won't be re-tendered so existing domestic deals remain in place for another 3 year cycle.

So no growth for the second round in a row.

The warning signs are there for all these clubs now they've topped out the revenues if owners want profits it is time to seriously get control of your costs and fans will need to get on board with those plans.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back