Sideshow Bob

125px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png
V
220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Wednesday, 31st January 2018
Premier League

Wembley
20:00 GMT

Real chance to deal a knockout blow to a top 4 rival.

Spurs aren’t in great form but they’ve still got match winners like Kane & Eriksen plus Son who’s scored in 5 straight league games.

You would assume for Utd it will be 4-3-3 but against the teams who play a back 3 this season Mourinho has matched them up away at Chelsea & Arsenal we used the back 3 and I could see us doing that here.

DDG

Jones Smalling Rojo

Valencia Matic Pogba Young

Lingard Lukaku Sanchez

Would prefer to see us going with the back 4 to get Herrera in the midfield and give us more control in the middle but I think he will go for the back 3.

It’s not a must win game but I feel it’s a game we can’t lose we need to maintain the distance to Spurs and hopefully increase it if we can.

Need Shaw and Valencia to keep their full backs quiet. Matic needs to keep tabs on Erickson. Everyone else wind up Ali. Their keeper is suspect so get your crossing boots on boys.

I hope we rock up and pay them no respect.

DDG

Valencia Jones Rojo Shaw

Matic Pogba

Sanchez Lingard Martial

Lukaku

I don't think we should turn up thinking we're going to win. They're a great side.
A draw or better would be a great result.
I think Jose will park the bus for a while on this one.

I don't think we should turn up thinking we're going to win. They're a great side.

Sorry about the multi post, been having problems with this site for a while now :-(

I think your right, he will play the usual defensive way and hit them on the break. I'm actually hoping that having Sanchez now will change the way we play a bit. JM has mentioned in the past we haven't got the players and he doesn't trust the player we have to play the way he wants. Surely now we have a decent enough first XI to do what he wants?

I agree with @jsp I think he will look to play 3 at the back, same as Arsenal but hopefully a lot less work for De Gea to do! At Wembley as well so we can go at them a bit more, play it as if it's a one off, not the same as playing at WHL this season.

DDG
Smalling Jones Rojo
Valencia Matic Pogba Shaw
Sanchez Martial
Lukaku

I'd say he will start too so does that mean he will play a 4-2-3-1 as I cant see him fitting in with a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3

Brave move if he does go 4231, personally hope he does rather be more attacking and let them worry about us rather than the other way around, just worries me that if we play a 2 with Pogba, then Matic will get left exposed and will have Dembele, Wanyama, Erikssen to deal with as I can't see Pogba offering to much help and defensive covering.

I think we either play a midfield 3 or if we play the back 3 then Pogba plays in behind the 2 strikers I think you need to have that extra security in the midfield that Herrera gives alongside Matic. That sucks because it means Lingard doesn't start but Pogba is a bit of a liability defensively in big games and I'm not sure we should be exposing Matic that much.

Match day is here and I'm still in 2 minds with what JM will do. A win would in all probability guarantee us top 4 and secure CL football next season. Arsenal are now 11 adrift, add 3 with a win tonight makes 14 point difference so they wont be catching us. Spurs are 8 behind, again add 3 for a win and were 11 points ahead and they are not very likely to catch us up so top 4 is secure.

Spurs aren't playing especially well (like Liverpool weren't when we played them), they are there to exploit tonight, why do I get the feeling he will park the bus and go for the safe draw? Klopp, Wenger or Pep would surely go out and play.

I worry about our CB's and Kane. If Spurs miss top 4 we should go for him, although I can see him at Madrid, I think he'd do well there.
Edgy one, I'd be happy with a draw, going for 1 - 2

I think the difference now is you can get at Spurs with Alderwiereld out injured and no Walker plus the bigger pitch means there are gaps that you can exploit at the back but Spurs seem to have settled into Wembley.

I'll happily take a point but a win would be huge would be a big blow to land on Spurs who after this go to Anfield & then have Arsenal at home so Utd have got a chance over the next few weeks to put a bit of distance between us and 5th if we can keep winning.

One thing I did hear is that 4th place is now straight in the group stage next season no more knockout round for 4th spot.

I hope we go there and give them a game. Aurier is also out injured so this should help as I think we pretty much have a full strength squad that now includes Sanchez

Be interesting to see where Sanchez starts now we've got a proper game will he be on the left like he was vs Yeovil or will he move to the right to create space for Martial.

I just can't see him starting anywhere but on the right. Martial has to play left. Sanchez can play right so it's a no brainer I reckon.

Can you see Jesse Messi Lingard starting?

I feel if he does we will be playing with more intent. If Hererra, Fellaini or Carrick starts you know what is coming.

Sanchez through the middle. Lingard on the right and martial on the left with lukaku up top in front of a two man midfield of Matic and pogba might work well.

ddg
Valencia Jones Rojo Young
Herrera Matic Pogba
Sanchez Lukaku Martial

Team: De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Young, Matic, Pogba, Sanchez, Lingard, Martial, Lukaku.

Subs: Romero, Rojo, Shaw, Fellaini, Herrera, Mata, Rashford.

Lingard playing unstead if Herrera or Fellaini. We’re playing tonight, not parking the bus.

Was expecting a 5 man backline for sure. So surprised a little at the line up.

The front four look full of pace and movement so should be a good game.

United are going to make a statement of intent tonight

100% going for it tonight. Back 3 out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back