Premier League: Spurs vs Manchester United (Friday June 19th)

SuperRash

MATCHDAY THREAD! MATCHDAY THREAD!

Been a while since we have seen one of these around here (except the ones Rammleid dug up and commented on)

A little early but hey ho it’s been so long it’ll just be nice to talk about a bit of football again! Not that it hasn’t been a blast talking about the coronavirus and racism!

So presuming everyone is fit could we see a diamond with Fred, McTominay, Fernandes and Pogba all playing? Or maybe just the tried and tested 4-3-3 with James, Rashford and Martial as the front three?

My guess would be it'll be back to his 3-4-1-2 system that Ole's used in most big games this season.

DDG

Bailly Maguire Lindelof

AWB McTominay Fred Shaw

Bruno

Martial Rashford

I'm not sure Pogba will start if we're playing that system although you'd hope he'd be buzzing to not only play but to fire one in on Mourinho as well.

Spurs will likely play 4-3-3 with Son, Kane & Moura up top so we're probably better going for the back 4. That creates space for Pogba in the midfield Bruno would probably end up on the right of the front 3 but with plenty of freedom to come inside bit like Mata would in that role.

I mean Rashford going at Aurier if he hasn't got Aurier on the verge of a second booking by 30 minutes he's not doing his job right.

My view this Spurs team are very vulnerable and we should be going after them the front 3 they've got is dangerous but in midfield they've got nothing and at the back they're a mess so we should be able to put pressure on them.

Can’t see it being a 5-3-2 doesn’t make sense with Pogba back. We’ll see our best team.

DDG

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

Fred Pogba

Bruno

James Martial Rashford

Has Pogba been training? What is this football stuff? I don't even.

Yeah looks like him and Rashford have been in full training with the rest of the team from the photos the club are putting out of training sessions

If Martial doesn't put in a performance he should be benched until he gets the message of what is required to stay in this progressive squad.
We cannot continue to put up with his lazy arse performances and blowing cold more than hot.

If Martial doesn't put in a performance he should be benched until he gets the message of what is required to stay in this progressive squad.
We cannot continue to put up with his lazy arse performances and blowing cold more than hot.
It’s been so long but wasn’t he putting in some good performances before the break? I do agree though that he does need to do more and not blow so hot and cold.

Covid might have got him another chance but yeah pressure is on him to deliver more consistently but hopefully with more creative players around he will be able to maintain a higher level of performance.

Needs to show that hunger that he’s not happy with being a good player he wants to be a great one.

The fitness levels and sharpness are probably going to be close to pre-season friendly game 1. I think there will be a flurry of muscle tears and groin pulls and hamstring injuries, but hopefully only to our rivals. ;)

I really want to see Bruno play again. He brings back the joy. I want to see a partnership with him and Pogba and McTominay. Bruno to score a hat trick.

I have really missed watching United play!

Got a feeling he might start Pogba on the bench be bold to try a new midfield setup in the first game back but I guess it’s also now or never if we want to grab that 4th spot we are going to need to win games like this.

Having options off the bench is huge now as the players will burn out quick so imagine being able to bring on guys like Pogba, James, Ighalo as fresh legs.

Dele Alli is out of the game.

Suspended for appearing to make a racist post about Coronavirus and Asians in February.

Jeez.

I think we'll rip them apart whoever plays to be honest, Jose is too defensive, with Pogba, Bruno and Rashford I think we'll have too much.

Surely Eric Dier is suspended too. Seems a long time ago but remember him trying to get to that fan in the stadium?

did he get a ban for that? I thought he got let off. Can't remember, seems like ages ago

he’s been charged with misconduct over it but no ban has been announced yet.

Just like the home game go after them get on the front foot and you’ll get some joy sit deep and invite them on we are asking for trouble.

Hearing Spurs are missing Alli & Tanganga are for this one and Son & Lo Celso also doubts.

Add Dier (who might be banned) and Vertonghen (no contract) could be a pretty decimated Spurs team.

Getting 3 points here would be huge keep that confidence high before the home game with Sheff Utd 6 points from these 2 games will hopefully give us a bit of breathing space and we can focus on hunting down Chelsea for 4th.

We’ve got the easier run in and the better GD. I reckon 7 wins from 9 would get us top 4.

Chelsea have got from the top half. City, Leicester, Sheffield United, Liverpool and Wolves.

I just read we're unlikely to play Pogba and Bruno and go more conservative, with 3cb and the wing backs we'd been playing.
I hope that's BS.

From his time at united, we know you just need to attack Jose, he'll be set up to defend.

Thing is none of the teams chasing 4th have been consistent through the season so no real reason to expect them all to suddenly find form. 7 wins from 9 is a big ask that's title winning form in normal circumstances not sure I can see Chelsea winning 6 out if 9 games.

Utd have done better against the better sides so easy games might not necessarily be good for us.

Teams like City will likely be coasting towards the end of the season with the title gone just focusing on ticking over for Europe and Liverpool could be playing kids unless they decide to go after the records. So games that look hard on paper could actually become a bit easier.

Good thing for us is we've got everyone fit we've got decent depth in the squad so the fast pace of games is something we are used to. It really will be survival of the fittest and who can keep their squad healthy and not need 2 or 3 days of training to prepare tailored game plans.

I think Sheff Utd and Wolves could finish really strong if they stay fit because they are incredibly well drilled in the way they play they know their system inside out. Utd and Chelsea were still doing a lot of tinkering through the season and I don't think had really settled on anything that they could rely on in every game.

Do you think Liverpool will devalue the league by playing kids? I hope not and I don't think Klopp would do that.

Agreed, I don't expect Klopp will do that and there would be little to gain if anything. Given there were calls to make the league null and void I suspect he will have a sense of fair play about him.

I think Sheff Utd and Wolves could finish really strong if they stay fit because they are incredibly well drilled in the way they play they know their system inside out. Utd and Chelsea were still doing a lot of tinkering through the season and I don't think had really settled on anything that they could rely on in every game.
Big thing for Sheff Utd is their lack of squad depth probably would have hurt them in the run in but now everyone has had a 3 month break and the reset button has been hit.

The fact that these guys have had 3 months off means the games coming thick and fast probably won't be as much as an issue as it would be at the end of a long season. Everyone will be all systems go after being locked up!

I really think we can get 4th and one of the cups though! Going to be an exciting 5 weeks.

Isn't Sheffield one of the clubs complaining about the 5 sub rule? Maybe I misheard the clubs involved.

They say it favours the rich clubs with the larger squads.

How good is it though to actually be discussing football instead of race, corona and politics.

This is the thing no one really knows how it'll work it's almost like a little summer tournament the games are pretty relentless so it should favour teams with big squads we've seen in Germany a big increase in the number of muscle injuries. The first few games felt a bit pre-season like but after that everyone seemed back up to something like normal speed.

It's a tough one for Liverpool I think they'll go for the 100 points but surely Klopp will be looking to give some of the fringe players some playing time once it's in the bag he knows the drill so he'll probably look to rotate in games that don't really impact the table. Once they've wrapped that up is it worth risking injury by playing your best XI over and over again when you are playing for nothing? I think we'll see a lot more rotation than we've seen from then they've had a pretty consistent starting XI this season.

I think City will look to rotate as well try and get all their players some playing time before the European cup stuff starts in August almost treat it like a weird pre-season.

Just hope the rain stays away Friday night want to try and rig up a TV in the garden so I can watch the game with my dad.

I just read we're unlikely to play Pogba and Bruno and go more conservative, with 3cb and the wing backs we'd been playing.
I hope that's BS.

From his time at united, we know you just need to attack Jose, he'll be set up to defend.
It is kind of hard for us fans to see a system in which both can play but I am sure it will be clearer to those within the club. They must be working on a system in training as clearly with both these fit they have to be considered starters. Also, it would be mad for us not to exploit the fact that Pogba would love to stick one up Jose and will bust a gut to do so.

I don’t think it’s difficult to see a system they both work in.

4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno box to box Fred slightly more defensive.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back