Sideshow Bob

200px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png
V
220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Sunday, 11th February 2018
Premier League

St. James' Park
14:15 GMT

Should be a straight forward 3 points but you know Newcastle will be up for it and they will look to get in our face a make it tough for us.

Players have had a few days off after the weekend so we should be fresh and hopefully we can get 3 points on the board.

Assume it’s a clean bill of health apart from Bailly, Fellaini & Zlatan.

Another free week next week so no reason not to go full strength in this one and make sure we get the points.

Hearing McTominay could be a starter and Matic rested. Matic needs to get over this supposed injury he is carrying, if indeed he is, as his form has dipped alarmingly in the last 3 months.

Yeah I agree, I couldn't believe he started against Huddersfield, give the guy a week off, should have rested him last week as Newcastle are always bang on it against us at home.

Have no problem with McTominay getting another start, his performances so far have been better than Matic (over last 3 months), Herrera and Fellani so why not, lad has done everything asked of him.

Give Lukaku a rest too

Martial Rashford Sanchez
Pogba McTominay Herrera

I’d play the strongest team. We need to get some sort of form and understanding of what we are doing with sanchez in the side before our games against Sevilla

I’d play the strongest team. We need to get some sort of form and understanding of what we are doing with sanchez in the side before our games against Sevilla

Agree totally. Start strong and if we can build a good cushion, rest some key people.

It's clear Matic needs a rest for his injury, and I think there is no harm in resting Lukaku and boosting Rashford. I don't think those alterations weaken the team too much especially for a game against Newcastle. I want to make sure all the players are fit and top of their game for when the games start rolling in and CL starts

I think that's the way forward too. We've got enough to beat Newcastle at home I would think regardless. Gotta be thinking ahead to Sevilla.

If Matic needs a rest play Herrera could possibly play Herrera Carrick Pogba as a 3 in midfield.

Based on the game at home we could probably get away with just Herrera & Pogba in midfield and play an extra attacker as they were really quite poor the only difference since then is I think Lascelles is fit again which improves them defensively and they now have Kennedy who gives them a player who can counter attack.

I'd probably go for

De Gea

Valencia Smalling Rojo Shaw

Herrera Carrick Pogba

Martial Lukaku Sanchez

I'd go very similar but Jones instead of Rojo.

Is Carrick fit enough to last 70 mins? I'm not sure where he is at...

I'd go very similar but Jones instead of Rojo.

Is Carrick fit enough to last 70 mins? I'm not sure where he is at...

I just want us to pick 2 CB's and stick with them for a few games before the big one vs Sevilla at the end of the month I don't think Jones & Smalling is a good enough partnership, Rojo for excellant last season looked a real leader and authority figure at the back (when he wasn't 2 footing people) so if he's fully fit again I'd probably go with him and 1 other. I think Jones played himself out of the side for a bit with the way he played vs Spurs it's harsh but there's competition for places at Utd and you can have a bad game but you can't do that and expect to keep your place especially when the guy on the bench is just as good as you.

It's hard to tell he didn't look to be struggling vs Yeovil but I'd be putting him in as a one off game in a midfield 3 his legs should last the distance and Newcastle really don't have much in midfield so you'd hope he's ok. If he can't handle Newcastle away you have to wonder what's the point in him even carrying on this season because unles he's going to start playing U23 games he'll never get match fit. To be honest after last week I'd have no problem putting McTominay in again from the start probably put Herrera in the middle of the 3 and have Pogba & McTominay either side of him

Jose has set his stall out. Sanchez playing left. Beginning of the end for Martial I reckon.

What has happened to Shaw too?

Team: De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Young, Matic, Pogba, Sanchez, Lingard, Martial, Lukaku.

Subs: Romero, Lindelof, Rojo, Shaw, Carrick, McTominay, Mata.

Jose has set his stall out. Sanchez playing left. Beginning of the end for Martial I reckon.

What has happened to Shaw too?

It’s on Martial to adapt to the right I think but I hope they’re allowed to swap in games so they both get time on the left.

Seems clear that Mourinho is rotating his left back game by game probably the right thing to do but it is frustrating.

Seems like he’s sticking to the 4231.

Might get away with 2 in midfield today.

Think Jose is only person who wants Martial in the right

Seems to be 433 with Lingard playing in midfield but Utd have started poorly and Pogba doesn’t look 100% fit isn’t his usual free flowing seems afraid to stretch or sprint and apparently left the warm up early.

Passing has been woeful giving it away very cheaply under any sort of pressure.

Turned into arsenal on the edge of Newcastle's box. Too many little passes, someone have a crack.

Weathered the early storm and in control now but final ball hasn’t been good enough meaning moves break down.

Newcastle very organised but if Utd can sharpen up in final 1/3 chances will come just need a better touch or pass the movement so far is good.

Martial should score.
Lukaku's hold up ball has been very good so far

Poor first half really. We have had flashes but our final ball has been dreadful apart from that Matic ball to Martial who should have scored.

Lucky boy Smalling with that tackle can’t see how the ref doesn’t give that must assume Smalling touched the ball away.

Pogba clearly is carrying something he’s not comfortable he can’t sprint.

Hopefully get the job done 2nd half.

Lukaku playing very well here

Letting a goal in from a set piece awarded because our centre back has dived.

Only when the chuckle brothers at the back could that happen.

Pathetic from Utd.

Not sure why Pogba has started clearly wasn’t fit playing at jogging pace couldn’t sprint or jump and it’s cost us a goal fair play to him for trying but Jose shouldn’t put him in that position.

Surely carrick or McTominay could’ve started.

Need to get one back quickly here.

McTominay on for Matic.

Final change for Utd.

Apart from his wife, I've got no idea what smalling is offering our club! Wish he would just get sold or get his contract torn in half.

Match day thread closed.

Please use existing Player Match Discussion threads or create new threads to discuss talking points in the Manchester United forum: Manchester United (link to Manchester United forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back