Premier League: Manchester United vs Chelsea

SuperRash

So we are back this Sunday at Old Trafford for our opening league game. It’s a big one to start and we need to start with a bang.

This is total preference but I would like to see the below line up:

De Gea

AWB - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Shaw

McTominay - Pogba

Greenwood - Lingard - Martial

Rashford
It’s slim pickings for the number 10 position so would have to go for Lingard who will at least bring some energy but it does highlight how light we are in there. Would like Greenwood in there just cus. Also I think a centre back pairing of Maguire and Tuanzebe would compliment well but I suspect Lindelof will get the nod.

Haven’t seen much of pre season but think we will see us play 4312 similar to how we lined up last season

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

McTominay Fred Pogba

Lingard

Martial Rashford

Can see Greenwood being on the bench.

Hoping to see a much fitter team one that can keep up the intensity for more than 30 minutes which is what killed us last season.

interesting to see pundits thinking Lampard will do a better job at Chelsea than Ole at united.

I thought we would win this comfortably.

DDG

AWB
Smalling
Lindeloff
Shaw

Mctom
Pogba

Dalot
Lingard
Martial

Rashford

De Gea

AWB - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Shaw

McTominay - Pogba

Greenwood - Lingard - Martial

Rashford

I'd like to see a new midfield signing in there but at this point I can't see us adding one. And even if we do it's likely they'll be on the bench given their lack of time with the team. Other than that spot on bud.

Really not sure what to expect from us, mainly because of the midfield. It's the sort of midfield that you either get a very good performance or a very bad one from. McTominay's done really well as a more advanced midfielder, i've not seen anything to suggest yet that he can play as the deeper midfielder in a 2. I have no idea who will partner Pogba in there and i'm not completely convinced that it'll only be 2 in midfield regardless of us playing 4231 in pre-season.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Decent line up for sure. Disappointed no Gomes but can’t have it all! The back line looks a hell of a lot more secure.

A very slow start from us. Lucky to not be punished.

Slow start is kind, we’ve been atrocious so far. We’ve looked like it’s been a long hard season and we have nothing left, not the first game!

Obviously really happy with the result but still really concerned about the midfield
Pereira was a passenger and while he did contribute an assist I don’t see how he can be first choice. We were much better when Lingard (who had a great game) came in from the right. That is something that Ole will have to look at.

What a result that was. Clinical in a word and Maguire was superb.

But that midfield, my word! Awful. Pedestrian.

Great result but the performance didn't fill me with confidence Chelsea found it very easy to get at our defence and were the better side for an hour of the game and had the chances to make it count.

We killed the game when we had the momentum which is important but looked a lot fitter than we did last season.

Don't think the balance is right in that midfield still work to be done but can't argue with a 4-0 win to start the season.

I think we lost the ball a bit easy in the middle, our passing wasn't quite crisp enough in the first half. But I never thought we would lose that game. I always felt we had the beating of them. 2 new players in teh back 4.

I loved the way we always tried to pass it out, no lumping it forward from Smalling, is he injured by the way, or did Tuanzebe just get the bench place above him?

First game of the season I can't think you can ask for much more, especially as it 3 points of a top 4 competitor.

As far as I'm aware Smalling is fit he just wasn't selected Jones I believe was ruled out with a injury.

I read something suggesting Smalling had been told he could go this was based on him not getting much playing time during pre season but then there were reports we turned down an approach from Everton so who really knows what's going on.

On a positive note there was a nice story about Smalling inviting some kid who'd lost his mum recently to the game and he went and met him and gave him a signed shirt.

United turned it down because it was a loan deal not a proper bid.

Yeah I think the centre back plans might have changed when Bailly got that injury I always felt like they wanted 2 out this summer so they could have Tuenzebe in the group of 5 centre backs just always assumed it was Bailly and Rojo they wanted to cash in on, probably more likely that they were open to offers on all of them bar Lindelöf.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back