Sideshow Bob

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png
V
170px-Liverpool_FC.svg.png

Saturday, 10th March 2018
Premier League

Old Trafford
12:30 GMT

The one fixture I both look forward to most and that makes me feel physically sick when thinking about it. The only team I absolutely despise losing against, hence the sick feeling.

The one fixture I both look forward to most and that makes me feel physically sick when thinking about it. The only team I absolutely despise losing against, hence the sick feeling.
Yeah there is always something special about the Liverpool game. Like I always look forward to it but with some trepidation.

I hope Shaw plays but I’m guessing Young will start. Other than that potential change I am guessing it’ll be very similar to the Palace game.

They’re a team on form but I’m confident. Lukaku should bully that CB partnership. Just sit deep hit early balls to Sanchez/Rashford and put em to bed

If we find a way to make them play defensive, we'll be fine. Their goalkeeper, Lovren and Van Dyk. Can't take that defense seriously. Hopefully Jose gets his tactics right and we grab another 3 points.

It's about time Jose got his tactics right first time round and give us a chance. If we sit back against Liverpool it's gonna be a long game, we've got to get in their faces and push them back which in turn will stop them playing their way

I disagree. Liverpool love teams pressing them they then play it around you and use the pace of Mane and Salah in behind. Drop off and don’t let them have that space and trust our front 3 to produce the magic against their poor defence.

Got to get a better balance then that rubbish we saw at Anfield. Especially because we are at home now and especially because this could go a long way to deciding 2nd. I agree with got to be tight and compacted at the back because there front 3 could rip anyone open. But not so tight and so compact that Rom gets no service and we look like we are hanging on.

I do think his got to find a way of factoring both Shaw and Mata into the team. Shaw because Young is done in my eyes and long term we need Shaw used to playing in these environments. And Mata because I feel like he gives us a better balance up front with his passing and movement. He done well when he came on at Palace the other night. Everyone seems to roam where they want and his cleverer enough to fill gaps up top that others leave behind.

Got to get a better balance then that rubbish we saw at Anfield. Especially because we are at home now and especially because this could go a long way to deciding 2nd. I agree with got to be tight and compacted at the back because there front 3 could rip anyone open. But not so tight and so compact that Rom gets no service and we look like we are hanging on.

I do think his got to find a way of factoring both Shaw and Mata into the team. Shaw because Young is done in my eyes and long term we need Shaw used to playing in these environments. And Mata because I feel like he gives us a better balance up front with his passing and movement. He done well when he came on at Palace the other night. Everyone seems to roam where they want and his cleverer enough to fill gaps up top that others leave behind.
I agree that Shaw and Mata should play. I really like Mata in the big games because he can make things happen. Assuming we go for the midfield three of Matic, McTominay and Pogba it would be unlucky for Lingard to miss out but he’s a good option from the bench, as showed against Chelsea. As for Shaw, well Young has been bang average of late and it really is time we gave Shaw a run. Some may point out it’s Liverpool and will Jose risk him but he’s got to be risked eventually in a big game if he is to be the number one!

I’m quietly confident about this one but it’ll be tight for sure. On their day Liverpool are frighteningly good I’m attack.

Anyone notice how much more quiet it is after a confidence boosting come back win. Haha

I think you've got to sit deep and deny them space in behind we leave and space for those two wingers in behind us and we are dead simple as that.

The key is to beat that press when we do win the ball we have to play through the lines and not go direct to Lukaku everytime and when we do go direct he needs to be on his toes to go in behind as a lot of the cleareances will be percentage balls played blind into channels he's got to be ready for that.

Not a game for Mata in my opinion probably stick with the front 3 that started against Palace but the wide players in possession need to get wide and stretch the pitch out don't play narrow when we have the ball.

Liverpool are flying and a draw is a good result here but a win would be a great result.

Mata being left footed just gives that balance up there at the minute. Alexis, Rashord, Martial and Lingard all want to work it onto their right and like we've all said, they end up crowding each other out. You lose pace in any counter attacks with Mata and there's the danger of Liverpool's full backs and wide players potentially running away from him. But his positional and understanding of the game is second to none and makes up for that. His normally a calm head in the final third and we lacked that so often the other night. If it's not happening Lingard is an option off the bench for pace and energy but I'd still go with a Mata to start. We need to keep the ball better and pick our moments against the Liverpool back line.

I'm concerned by who we play at center back. Smalling seems to deal with crosses in the box better then actually defending and marking. Plus a foot race against any of that front 3 is a cause for concern for us. So why hasn't Bailly been giving more minutes ahead of this to shake off the rust, before this fixture?

Anyone notice how much more quiet it is after a confidence boosting come back win. Haha
Yeah. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like coming on here or any other forum. Feels like some of us are just waiting with bated breath for us to fail so that they can come on here and rant about it.

I think the way we tend to play in the big games Mata is sort of useless because he needs the wingers to carry the ball and carry it quickly which Mata can't do in a game where Mourinho knows we will have the ball and he's got full backs who will overlap then Mata gives us a lot more because like you say he gives us balance but also quality to unlock a defence.

The way he played on Monday night wouldn't rule out Rashford starting he made a massive difference second half even before we conceeded the 2nd goal he'd already had 2 or 3 runs at their full back and the team looked much happier up top with the 4 of them in the attacking line rather than the narrow 3 we had first half.

We could do with a big game from Sanchez so far he's been quite poor obviously gets a bit of a pass to find his feet in his first few weeks but now is the time where he should be stepping up and these are the games where you need your big hitters to be the game changers.

So far Mourinho vs Klopp has resulted in 3 fairly dull draws where neither team has really deserved a win.

I've heard an argument for Sanchez starting up front and resting Lukaku for Sevilla. His pace could be crucial against that back 4. Can't see it happening tho.

I think JM will not be that bothered by a win, just as long as we don't lose to keep the 2 point gap. I fully expect an unentertaining game which is a shame in a fixture like this.

Massive massive game Saturday, my worries is their full backs, they have been class of late, Robertson especially but Arnold as well, I think we need to be mindful of them as if we play the likes of Mata, who never tracks back or helps out defensively, then Valencia could be seriously overrun on that side, they will need to be disciplined and we need to be far better passing than Monday or were in trouble.

Incisive, quick, one touch passing to beat the press, get in between the lines behind their midfield and go from there, Lukaku has hit form at the right time, think he has something like 8 or 9 in his last 12 and seems to be bang on it, every time we score at the minute he goes absolutely mental which is great to see.

Sanchez is the one for me, he will be a very lucky boy to keep his place in the side on recent form, especially with Rashford making a big difference on Monday.

Defence will have to be right on it, and we need a performance from Pogba, last year he had his worst game in a United shirt against these at our place, he is walks about and doesn't put a shift in then questions will be asked as its getting to the point now he needs to start performing in these games.

Massive games, right up for it! Forget a draw, lets get at them! COME ON UNITED

Yeh defo, if Martial put in performance after performance like Sanchez has you wouldn't see him anywhere near the first team again this season. It's a tough one to drop Sanchez or not as surely he is due to have a good game sooner or later. Liverpool would be a great one to start with.

These 2 games could massively shape our season. A draw or even better a win Sat and a win Tuesday would be immense, lose both and the Mourinho out brigade will be out in force again.

My prediction for Saturday is 1-1. Tempted to go for a 0-0 but I feel we will both have a chances.

Yeah hate to say it but I do think they will score, massive week mate absolutely huge, yeah Pogba/Sanchez need a performance, there is no bigger or better game to do it than this weekend.

Time for some players to step up. Plain & simple. Consistent run of winning form is imperative through the remainder of the season.

I still think we have to sit deep. Is Martial fit? Pace on the counter and absorb their pressure will be key.

I agree, we can't go toe to toe with our defence. It will just be a case of who scores the most and be too risky.

We have to play to our strengths and their weakness. Soak up the pressure and score on the break.

the win is the most important part.

I don't think their defence is that bad for what it's worth, the brain fart moment have reduced especially since they finally ditched Mignolet who seemed to cause panic and Van Dijk has provided a bit more calmness to them as well.

I think we have to sit deep because of the speed they have in attack if we offer space in behind we will get destroyed so we need to make sure we are able to break through the lines of their press by either quickly passing through midfield or going direct to Lukaku.

My guess is 4-3-3 nice and tight but similar to Chelsea the wide guys will stay close to Lukaku which was more like a midfield diamond than 4-3-3.

Yeah there is no way we can afford to just go play expansive attacking football and neglect their attacking threat, that would be criminal if we did that.

He will look to nullify their attack, suffocate their widemen and boss the midfield, forget the media and all this talk of parking the bus, defend well, but have an intent to attack

I think we will just sit back and see if we can soak up their pressure and let them run themselves into the ground then pick things up about 60 mins.

If we can get to 60mins without conceding we could maybe go on and score a winner, we just can’t concede early.

Everyone is talking about Liverpool hammering us or it being a draw. I would absolutely love to shut them up.

If we can steal an early goal and they have to keep coming at us we have the ability to hit them on the counter.

How amazing would it be, if he just went for it, pressed them high, we put 3 past them and just destroyed them! Jagers would be on me boys, nothing would give me more pleasure than just smashing them!

To be honest I'd rather we parked the bus and they battered us then we scored an offside handball goal after a foul on the keeper because nothing beats moaning scousers.

Nah if we're gonna beat them it's gotta be properly and being better than them over 90 minutes.

I don't mind a fluke, makes it all the more sweeter, they can bang on all they like how great Klopp is. Won nowt though hasn't he.

Shaw's first goal for the club in the 94th minute, boom!

See rumours this afternoon that Martial is out tomorrow, be a blow that!

Who fancies switching to a back 3 tomorrow? Bailly sandwiched in-between, the dynamic duo of Lindelof and Smalling? Sort of baby sitting them if you like.

Just seen the provisional squad on Twitter, no Martial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back