Premier League: Man Utd vs Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So moving on from last night's result Utd face the team with the worst defence in the league this season at home on Sunday.

A win moves us up to 3rd for at least a few hours as City & Liverpool play after us.

So to the bad new we await injury news on Pogba, Jones & Smalling but we know that Zlatan, Rojo, Mata, Fellaini & Fosu-Mensah are all definetly out. The only guy I think could be back is Pogba but I'm sort of expecting bench at best for him with Europa League midweek.

My best guess at a starting XI would be

De Gea

Valencia Bailly Blind Shaw

Carrick Herrera

Mkhitaryan Rooney Martial

Rashford

Fellaini's domestic ban means he's nailed on to start vs Celta and unless we gamble on Pogba we can't really play a 3 man midfield so my guess is Rooney comes in and plays either from the wing or in behind the striker.

This is our first chance in a long time to put scoreboard pressure on our rivals in the league win this and City & Liverpool know the fight is on.

However, this is exactly the type of match we have slipped up in all season and Swansea are fighting relegation so they aren't coming here with one eye on the beach. They looked like they'd turned a corner a few weeks back but Llorente got injured and the goals dried up and they got pulled back in but they're coming in off the back of a win last weekend.

It's that part of the season now where it doesn't matter how the points come all that matters is that at full time on Sunday Utd have taken 3 points

I kinda agree that this is just the type of game we have been terrible in recently. I'm not sure what Mourinho will do, as it doesn't seem this season he is looking to exploit weaknesses in the opposition. Against the side with the worst defensive record surely we've got to be looking at a 2 at least up top, if not a three all attacking and capable forwards, not the supplementary full backs he likes to play!

I think as a minimum he has to play his 2 more attacking full backs which means Shaw at LB instead of Darmian and either Young/Valencia at RB depending on fitness levels. Darmian does a great job when called upon but going forward he isn't as good as the others and with Celta (a) midweek I'd save him for that one. Utd haven't parked the bus at home to anyone this season they've gone toe to toe even with the better sides and the weaker sides we've dominated nearly every game.

In midfield his hands are kind of tied by injury/suspension it can only be Carrick & Herrera unless Pogba is fit but even if he is surely he's only on the bench the human bog brush that is Fellaini will have to play vs Celta now.

Up front it's 4 from 5 Rashford, Rooney, Martial, Mhiki, Lingard there's all sort of ways to arrange them but I'm guessing he might feel he needs to rest Rashford with the away leg vs Celta in mind.

I think the issue at home hasn't been the tactics or the formation or even the selection most of the time it's been terrible finishing from players who should do better there's a serious lack of confidence/composure in front of goal at home this season.

Team news for Manchester United v Swansea City - Official Manchester United Website

Mourinho also discussed the possibility of Wayne Rooney playing in midfield against Swansea at Old Trafford, saying: "It's an option. We have Herrera and Carrick and nothing else. Tim is another one that we miss so we are in trouble but we will fight that’s for sure.

"I think the first one to be back is Mata, which gives us another option in attack but, in reality, what we need now is one of the two central defenders to be back."

The boss was asked about the possibility of resting the in-form Eric Bailly for Sunday's match and giving a run-out to promising young defender Axel Tuanzebe. Such is United's lack of central defenders at present, the manager joked he might even play himself!

"I am also training hard in the gym so I can be an option also – Mourinho and Tuanzebe against Swansea!

"In this moment, Eric is the only option we have – it’s Axel, Eric and Daley [Blind]. I think Eric and Daley played again absolutely amazing [against City]. I have to speak with them and see how they are and see how they feel."

I mean if the attack could do the business and get the game won it would be great to see Tuenzebe get on the pitch even if it was just for 20 minutes but I would imagine we'd put him on at full back instead of centre back. Throwing him in up against guys like Llorente & Siggurdson from the start is to much for a young kid but if Bailly or Blind are struggling from last night we might not have a choice.

Blind is a funny one bit like Romero he makes 1 mistake a game some teams punish it others don't. Last night we got lucky he stopped and appealed for offside and totally lost Aguero early on luckily for us he hit the post against Chelsea he switched off and Pedro scored. It's probably a result of him being a midfielder a midfielder has an extra line of defence behind him a defender if you make a mistake it's normally resulting on someone going in on the keeper.

If he could cut that out he'd actually be a good centre back the only issue for him is when he does make a mistake he doesn't have the recovery speed of a guy like Bailly once he's been beaten by his man it's sort of game over for him.

Pogba has been pictured leaving the Lowry Hotel around an hour before the rest of the team in his United training tracksuit.

Starting line up
De Gea
Shaw Bailly Blind Young
Carrick Herrera Lingard
Rooney Martial Rashford

One of the worst first 45 minutes of the season. I'm trying to think of other poor first 45 minutes. Chelsea away springs to mind. Any others?

I think we need to take whatever we can get atm. Really poor half from us. I would have been unhappy if that penalty had been given against us though was a little touch, just not sure whether Rashford initiated the contact or if it was the goalkeepers momentum.

I thought Rashford went to ground before Fabianski made contact.

I certainly think he was hoping the goalkeeper make some contact. Bottom line is we have been really bad in this half and you have to take advantage of any bit of luck you get.

Deffo not a penalty, but I will take it. Surely can't play as bad second half.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back