Premier League: Liverpool vs Manchester United

Set pieces again we are now the joint worst team in the league at defending them.

Zonal marking just isn’t working for us that opening goal was just way so easy he walked into the box under no pressure after an ok start we gift them a simple goal. Ole really really needs to sort this problem out you can’t give away cheap set piece goals in this league.

We had the chance to get back in to the game Liverpool wasted the chances to kill us off and utd finished strong but sadly just lacked the quality to really hurt them.

Martial was good today but you just have to take that chance if you want to be the Utd centre forward.

Periera I’m sorry but he’s so far off the level required he needs to be told to find a new club.

Fred was an absolute boss today second half he was incredible driving us forward just a shame he can’t shoot.

Liverpool are a mile clear of us right now but we went down fighting but you just can’t gift them the opening goal like that.

We didn’t do too badly considering the team we put out. I think we still could have gotten something had Ole made his subs earlier, before 65th minutes instead of 73rd. Martial out wide was also a waste. Pereira and Fred just don’t have the quality we need, and Bruno can’t get here fast enough. And why did Ole tell DeGea to stay back on that last corner??? We could have gotten a draw but ended up losing 2-0 anyway. Just dumb decisions. Still was afraid it would be a hammering so surprised we did as well as losing by only 2.

Again, we have another example of Ole's tactical naivety. It doesn't take a genius to understand if one of the best and tallest defenders in the PL gets a run on your defenders you are in trouble. What would have been the issue with tasking Maguire with the marking job at set pieces?

Again, we have another example of Ole's tactical naivety. It doesn't take a genius to understand if one of the best and tallest defenders in the PL gets a run on your defenders you are in trouble. What would have been the issue with tasking Maguire with the marking job at set pieces?
Not a fan of this zonal marking to easy to pass the buck

We didn’t do too badly considering the team we put out. I think we still could have gotten something had Ole made his subs earlier, before 65th minutes instead of 73rd. Martial out wide was also a waste. Pereira and Fred just don’t have the quality we need, and Bruno can’t get here fast enough. And why did Ole tell DeGea to stay back on that last corner??? We could have gotten a draw but ended up losing 2-0 anyway. Just dumb decisions. Still was afraid it would be a hammering so surprised we did as well as losing by only 2.

I thought the subs were timed right Utd had to stay in the game keep it to 1 goal then last 20 go for broke which they did and it nearly paid off the put the squeeze on and rattled Liverpool but just lacked the quality to make the killer moment.

The only sub I’d question was Dalot but don’t think he had much to chose from Shaw didn’t have the legs to get forward so he had to make that change.

Don’t get why you’re singling out Fred he bossed that midfield today he should not be taking set pieces but then who should?

I thought the subs were timed right Utd had to stay in the game keep it to 1 goal then last 20 go for broke which they did and it nearly paid off the put the squeeze on and rattled Liverpool but just lacked the quality to make the killer moment.

The only sub I’d question was Dalot but don’t think he had much to chose from Shaw didn’t have the legs to get forward so he had to make that change.

Don’t get why you’re singling out Fred he bossed that midfield today he should not be taking set pieces but then who should?
Fred is shit. That’s why I’m singling him out. He did no bossing. He would not get in any United side from the past 20 years. That’s how far our standards have fallen.

Not having a go at you, btw, but we are at a nadir where someone running a lot is considered bossing a midfield. Today Matic outshone Fred. He can’t score can’t set up goals, can’t pick out crucial passes. I’d say he’s at the level Fletcher was when he lost his place in the first team. There is plenty of graft - but that is the minimum requirement for a United player. Watch how Matic soaks up and relieves pressure, calms down play, and turns defense into attack - and this is with his running ability abandoning him.

I’m glad Fred has progressed from Bebe-like levels of not belonging into an actual player, but even in top form Fred is a mid table type of player.

Fred was the best player on the pitch today. We got undone by a set piece and a counter attacking goal.

Ole needs to get a defensive coach in because we shouldn’t be conceding goals like that. To criticise Fred today is a joke there was literally no one else in his level.

Also to praise Martial is a joke. Worst performance he’s had in years. Awful. Bottled it.

There is also no point in De Gea going up. He’s poor in his own box at set pieces let alone the oppositions

Fred was the best player on the pitch today. We got undone by a set piece and a counter attacking goal.

Ole needs to get a defensive coach in because we shouldn’t be conceding goals like that. To criticise Fred today is a joke there was literally no one else in his level.

Also to praise Martial is a joke. Worst performance he’s had in years. Awful. Bottled it.
Are you responding to me? Seems like you are but I didn't even mention Martial in the last post. Above it I said Martial was a waste out wide. Is that praise? He was garbage. He also missed our best chance.

And if you think Fred was the best player on the pitch today, I couldn't disagree more, even if you only meant best in our team. I don't think Fred was effective at all. He runs a lot, but so does Lingard. Matic was a far more influential player today than Fred, and he's still a far better player than Fred, even with half speed. I am just not a fan of whatever it is Fred does on a pitch, at least in a United side.

That said, neither Fred nor Matic should be starting for United.

The reason DeGea goes up at the end of the game is to block off someone and cause a nuisance while a striker/teammate gets to the ball. It's an extra body, doesn't matter if he is a scorer or not, but that's just basic stuff.

I thought fred was excellent today. And to think that de gea has the bottle to block anyone off is fanciful. He does not command his own 6 yard area and he is allowed to use his hands. That and lindelof being 6 foot 2 and jumping about 6 foot 2 and a half is one of the reasons we can't defend set pieces. I don't like zonal marking and liverpool only really have one big guy so Maguire should have been picking him up, though I don't think Maguire is that great in the air either

I said in the other thread, with the squad available, it was expected. The whole Ole out after results like this are ridiculous. I can't take those people seriously. Ole out - maybe, Ole out becasue he lost to Liverpool at Anfield where they are unbeaten for two years or something, with that squad, no, go away.

United need to invest this window. The shame is, it will all be short term. Hopefully it wont affect the long term strategy

Fred was the best player on the pitch today. We got undone by a set piece and a counter attacking goal

Get rio & Patrice in

I said in the other thread, with the squad available, it was expected. The whole Ole out after results like this are ridiculous. I can't take those people seriously. Ole out - maybe, Ole out becasue he lost to Liverpool at Anfield where they are unbeaten for two years or something, with that squad, no, go away.

United need to invest this window. The shame is, it will all be short term. Hopefully it wont affect the long term strategy
I agree whole heartedly don't seem to remember people saying this when it was a bed of roses, we've got to all sing of the same hymn sheet

I thought fred was excellent today. And to think that de gea has the bottle to block anyone off is fanciful. He does not command his own 6 yard area and he is allowed to use his hands. That and lindelof being 6 foot 2 and jumping about 6 foot 2 and a half is one of the reasons we can't defend set pieces. I don't like zonal marking and liverpool only really have one big guy so Maguire should have been picking him up, though I don't think Maguire is that great in the air either
Me too I'm not a fan of this zonal marking system it might work for other teams but not for us,if we carry on this way then we will always concede, with Burnley are next opponents they'll be licking their lips at this system.

Fred is shit. That’s why I’m singling him out. He did no bossing. He would not get in any United side from the past 20 years. That’s how far our standards have fallen.

Not having a go at you, btw, but we are at a nadir where someone running a lot is considered bossing a midfield. Today Matic outshone Fred. He can’t score can’t set up goals, can’t pick out crucial passes. I’d say he’s at the level Fletcher was when he lost his place in the first team. There is plenty of graft - but that is the minimum requirement for a United player. Watch how Matic soaks up and relieves pressure, calms down play, and turns defense into attack - and this is with his running ability abandoning him.

I’m glad Fred has progressed from Bebe-like levels of not belonging into an actual player, but even in top form Fred is a mid table type of player.

I thought Matic was good today to but I disagree about Fred I think he's been fantastic this season yeah in a peak Utd team he wouldn't start but we are so far away from that right now not one player from this team gets in the 99 or the 08 starting XI most would struggle to even get in the squad.

I've watched Matic for years his problem is he doesn't move the ball quickly enough holds it to long allowing opposition to recover their shape it's always been a problem for them.

I thought Matic was good today to but I disagree about Fred I think he's been fantastic this season yeah in a peak Utd team he wouldn't start but we are so far away from that right now not one player from this team gets in the 99 or the 08 starting XI most would struggle to even get in the squad.

I've watched Matic for years his problem is he doesn't move the ball quickly enough holds it to long allowing opposition to recover their shape it's always been a problem for them.
I think it's harsh to signal fred out hes definitely improved this season, yeah no one would make are squad of yesteryear all this is down to poor recruitment and wrong decisions I'm afraid this might continue unless ole gets help from above

Fred was the best player on the pitch on both sides. He was driving us forward and one of the only guys for us who looked like he really wanted a fight. His shooting is pretty horrendous, if that improved then he would probably get a few goals because he does get in decent shooting positions!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back