Premier League introduces winter break in 2019/20

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Winter break explained: What you need to know

Headlines are each team will have 1 weekend off in February.
The break is split over 2 weekends so 10 teams will have their break one weekend and the other 10 will have their break the following weekend.
FA Cup 5th round is now midweek rather than weekend
No replays all ties to be settled on the night extra time and pens if required.

Think this makes a lot of sense hopefully with the break guaranteed teams might take the FA cup more seriously and with FA Cup attendances generally lower than league attendances playing mid week probably won't hurt them to much.

they were going to put in a clause about no overseas money making matches to be played, did they add that?

Good compromise between those calling for a complete break and those that didn't want one. This way, players get rest but there's still games for fans to watch. I'd still prefer there to be bigger gaps to games played over christmas, think it's ridiculous that teams have to play twice in 48 hours in this age.

Research showed that PL players 4x more likely to get injured in March, April or May than the leagues that have a mid season break.

Hopefully teams don't go and play games abroad, training abroad/warm weather training/a holiday I think is fine. Lot of managers and sports scientists have been wanting something for about 20 years so it's good that there is now something. Ironically, Wenger has just left Arsenal and he's the man who probably needed it the most given their regular collapse at the tail end of the season

I doubt the league can do anything to stop clubs arranging friendlies they are free to do what they want in their spare time but I would assume the boards will be keen to arrange a money spinning friendly somewhere warm and the managers will be reluctant but all these people are demanding more money every time a contract comes around so you've got to get that money from somewhere. Also, having these games in foreign territories probably helps keep fans interested and increase TV revenues on future deals.

Don’t know if it was mentioned anywhere but extra time has been scrapped in the league cup. Games will go straight to penalties after 90 minutes

I didn’t see that probably makes sense, would also make sense to do the semi finals over one game in a neutral venue (not Wembley)

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back