Premier League 2020/21: Newcastle Utd vs Manchester Utd Sat 17th Oct 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
That thread title should be long enough.

Anyway early bad news is Cavani can't play as he's got to quarantine for 14 days before joining the group and Martial is banned.

Lets hope everyone else comes home fit from international duty.

Think it's on Sky Box Office can you get that through Virgin Media?

I'm not paying £15 for it think it's a joke they're charging that much I'll just follow the score online then watch the highlights on MOTD for free at 10.30

I think all football fans should boycott this charge and not watch so they drop it asap. Robbing ba**ards.

It will certainly be an interesting one this. How will Ole play it. Surely Pogba needs to be dropped for VDB and Greenwood needs to be up top?

It's a tricky one I do think the clubs have a right to charge something for the games that aren't part of the original TV deal just think £15 is way over the top.

The game was moved from a 3pm kick off too. So now i've got plans I don't want to be doing. (Going on a ghost hunt....don't ask).

But I wont be paying £15 for any of the games.

Yeah I was wondering why they've decided to move the KO time so the 3pm slot is Chelsea vs Southampton on BT Box Office and we've been shifted to 8pm on Sky Box Office. They still seem to be staggering all the games so they don't have 2 games being played at the same time.

Do they really think people are going to buy the Chelsea game at £15 then pay again for the Utd game at £15? Are pubs even going to risk the 8pm kick offs considering they've got to get everyone out by 10pm few VAR calls and you can easily get past 10pm for finish.

Yeah you can get Sky Box Office on virgin.

I get all the boxing and i'm on Virgin.

We can all listen on the radio. For once @Mr C will actually be making some sense to the rest of us with his in match comments :)

Think it's on Sky Box Office can you get that through Virgin Media?

I'm not paying £15 for it think it's a joke they're charging that much I'll just follow the score online then watch the highlights on MOTD for free at 10.30
Well said jsp, an absolute disgrace that Sky are showing ppv matches, especially during the pandemic when half the country are on furlough and don't know if they'll have a job by Xmas =/

Well said jsp, an absolute disgrace that Sky are showing ppv matches, especially during the pandemic when half the country are on furlough and don't know if they'll have a job by Xmas =/

Wasn’t Sky’s decision clubs demanded extra cash for extra games they’re just using Sky/BTs box office platform to host the games. I’m sure Sky/BT would have been more than happy to take more games at zero cost but that wasn’t the offer by putting it on their box office they probably get a small slice as host to cover any operating costs and a bit of profit.

This was a reaction to the government pulling the rug on fan returns in October clubs had hoped to start ramping up attendances from 1st October they’re now worried it’s no fans until March 2021

Most of the money taken goes to the clubs who are playing the games it’s not shared amongst the 20 my guess is it’s 50/50 split but might be more in favour of home team as they’re losing a home game.

It doesn’t count as an official TV game currently every game selected for TV gets you a bonus but these games don’t count towards those figures.

I was just coming to create this thread. With the England games out of the way and United up in 2 days time Ole has a lot of decisions to make.

- Does Lindelof come back in to the side?
- Does Maguire get dropped?
- Does DVDB get his first league start?
- Does Pogba keep his place?
- Do we change formations?

A lot for Ole to decide.

This is how I think we'll line up not what I would do.

DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Telles

DVDB Matic Bruno

Greenwood Rashford James

I originally thought that Fred would play because he doesn't play internationals but just seen Matic doesn't either.

Is Bailly not injured. Again? I don't think Bailly did enough to convince Ole last time out that he needs to be a starter in this absolute must win (I say that for the complete media frensy that will ensue). I'm not sure what the hell to do with Maguire after the sending off last night. The guy needs an extended holiday, but not to Greece.

I think VDB has to come in for Pogba. I think Henderson needs to come in firstly as DDG was at error again for Spain, secondly because the defense is in such poor shape this may shake it up and inspire a little more confidence as Hendo looks really sharp last time he played.

Telles has been in Brazil all week, tough ask for him to be thrown in on a Sat night.

Henderson

Bailly
Lindelof
Shaw

AWB
Telles
DVD
Bruno

Lingard
Greenwood
Rashford

Don't think changing the formation is the answer here.

DDG

AWB Bailly Lindelof Shaw

McTominay Fred

Bruno VDB Rashford

Greenwood

The new lad Telles has just flown back from Brazil so will not have had any training time with his team mates before Saturday so can't see him being chucked in.

I think he has to take Maguire out of the firing line and I think he has to drop Pogba too.

The striker issue means he's got to shuffle the pack up top as well so the teams going to have quite a lot of change made to it I think this team should give us a bit more bite and vibrancy across the pitch.

@Mr C why do you think Shaw should play CB? I keep seeing people banging on about this on social media and I just can't get my head around it. He had maybe a good game or so there when we played that before but he's a LB, not a CB. One bad game and it'll be back to 'why are we using a LB as a CB blah blah blah'. We have 7 CB's on the books! Our one and only (until a week ago) LB and we want him as a makeshift CB is absurd. Lets play Rashford as a wing back shall we?
Shaw is a bad enough LB, lets not stick his head on the block to be a bad CB as well. We tried this with McTominay with terrible results too!

DDG

AWB Bailly Lindelof Shaw

McTominay Fred

Bruno VDB Rashford

Greenwood

The new lad Telles has just flown back from Brazil so will not have had any training time with his team mates before Saturday so can't see him being chucked in.

I think he has to take Maguire out of the firing line and I think he has to drop Pogba too.

The striker issue means he's got to shuffle the pack up top as well so the teams going to have quite a lot of change made to it I think this team should give us a bit more bite and vibrancy across the pitch.

Sense!

I just think the whole team starting from the front has been a disaster without the ball since we came back this season.

I think Pogba and Matic are to slow as a pair defensively Pogba also switches off to much and the attack has been lazy no pressing from the front whatsoever in our games so far. So I think swap the midfield pair to a more defensive minded pairing to protect that vulnerable back 4 get a bit more energy into the forward line hopefully keep the ball a bit better higher up the pitch and open teams up.

@Mr C your 3-4-3 restricts both Bruno and VDB as holding players in central midfield there's no freedom for them to find space which is what they do. We're just fudging Shaw into it as well why should he keep his spot in the team he's been crap? I'm only leaving him in because the new bloke doesn't even know his way to the training ground yet.

The issues we have with this squad atm are ridiculous. Fred and McT as a CM/CDM's is am much a worry as the CB's. they game generally just flows around them.

The issues we have with this squad atm are ridiculous. Fred and McT as a CM/CDM's is am much a worry as the CB's. they game generally just flows around them.

I thought the two of them did pretty well last season to be honest, the issue was before Bruno arrived we didn't have the guy capable of picking the lock ahead of them. Now we've improved that so being a bit more sturdy in the middle of the park I think is a good thing to protect the vulnerable back 4. You just need to back the 4 ahead of them to pick the lock.

I think the first 3 games showed we can't expose that defense it'll collapse every time if we do.

@Mr C your 3-4-3 restricts both Bruno and VDB as holding players in central midfield there's no freedom for them to find space which is what they do
I'd like to think with 5 defenders there was some scope to attack.

I'd like to think with 5 defenders there was some scope to attack.

Yeah but even with a back 3 you can't just leave the midfield wide open the midfield players still need to stay generally in the centre of the pitch.

The way that system seems to work best is you basically have 5 pretty solid players in the middle 3 centre back and 2 midfielders you then rely on your front 3 supported by the wing backs to create openings.

I really dont like 5 at the back, it's way to too restrictive. We dont even have 5 decent defenders atm.

Saying that, I really dont see why we play with 2 CDM's, Pogba just doesnt work in a 2 there, he needs more freedom. In recent times I think the 4-3-3 worked best for us. At the end of the day, it's a formation and the name of the game is to score goals and Ole knows this too well. We have the players to do this so you tell me what the problem is?

Fair to say Ole's got some big calls to make for this one the hangover from Spurs has been 2 weeks long.

He's probably not got the new signings available to him yet for various reasons mainly not one has actually stepped foot on a training pitch with his team mates yet.

The positive for him is I don't think he's had anyone come back from internationals injured Bailly looked to be injured but he played the next game so sounds like he's fine.

His main problem is form his big players from last season are all nearly all in bad form AWB, Maguire, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and you could even argue Bruno have all struggled to get going.

I was just coming to create this thread. With the England games out of the way and United up in 2 days time Ole has a lot of decisions to make.

- Does Lindelof come back in to the side?
- Does Maguire get dropped?
- Does DVDB get his first league start?
- Does Pogba keep his place?
- Do we change formations?

A lot for Ole to decide.

This is how I think we'll line up not what I would do.

DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Telles

DVDB Matic Bruno

Greenwood Rashford James

I originally thought that Fred would play because he doesn't play internationals but just seen Matic doesn't either.
I'd go for;
.......... DDG.
.AWB. Lindelöf. Maguire. Telles.
.Bruno. McTominay. DVB.
.Mata. Greenwood. Rashford.
4-3-3, and throw young Pellestri on as an impact sub in the second half.

-------------------DeGea-------------------
AWB-------Lindelof-----Jones------Shaw
---------McTominay------Matic-----------
---Rashford------Bruno----------Pogba--
-----------------Greenwood----------------

Square pegs time. Two things will be guaranteed to happen: Bruno will roam and chase the ball, and Pogba will drift, if he starts. Expect McTominay and Matic to sit in front of the back 4 while Bruno & Pogba try to play in Greenwood & Rashford. We will have 2 mids looking at a rotating front 4, hoping to connect. McT and Matic will sit, so effectively it will be a 4-2-3-1

I think Bailly and Maguire are injured and unavailable, which brings Jones into the side. Telles will not be ready and so Shaw retains his spot. DeGea retains his spot.

We will be playing narrow, looking to play balls over the top, and trying to hit on the counter attack. I'd like to see DVDB start ahead of Pogba but I don't think that will happen. This shows the problems we have. We have no width, we're carrying a luxury player, and our defense is shot. Pogba doesn't really fit into this formation, but who does?

Good luck, us!

DDG

AWB Bailly Lindelof Shaw

McTominay Fred

Bruno VDB Rashford

Greenwood

Good team that jsp I do want to see telles but you maybe rite. That midfield looks like it got so much more pace and workrate without Pogba and Matic there good but both together slows us rite down

AWB-------Lindelof-----Jones------Shaw
---------McTominay------Matic-----------
---Rashford------Bruno----------Pogba--
-----------------Greenwood----------------

Square pegs time. Two things will be guaranteed to happen: Bruno will roam and chase the ball, and Pogba will drift, if he starts. Expect McTominay and Matic to sit in front of the back 4 while Bruno & Pogba try to play in Greenwood & Rashford. We will have 2 mids looking at a rotating front 4, hoping to connect. McT and Matic will sit, so effectively it will be a 4-2-3-1

I think Bailly and Maguire are injured and unavailable, which brings Jones into the side. Telles will not be ready and so Shaw retains his spot. DeGea retains his spot.

We will be playing narrow, looking to play balls over the top, and trying to hit on the counter attack. I'd like to see DVDB start ahead of Pogba but I don't think that will happen. This shows the problems we have. We have no width, we're carrying a luxury player, and our defense is shot. Pogba doesn't really fit into this formation, but who does?

Good luck, us!
I like that set up mate, apart from Shaw, he should never play for us again imo, I'd sell him and Bailly asap. If Pogba does play he's in last chance saloon also imo, his form has been very poor and we're sitting an international quality midfielder in DVB on the bench.

Due to the lack of decent RF (for the last 7 or 8 years) and Rashford liking to cut in why isn't a midfield diamond being used more. We could get all our decent midfields on the pitch then:

AWB-------Bailly-----Maguire----Shaw/Telles
--------------------Matic-----------------
----------VDB----------------Pogba-------
-------------------Bruno----------------
-------Greenwood---------Rashford-------

VDB and Pogba can sit back into a 4-3-1-2 when needed and push forward when on the attack. It gives much more freedom to Pogba which is well needed. I can't see how this would be worse than we have been playing

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back