Premier League 2020-21: Manchester United vs Newcastle (Sun 21st Feb - 7pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fancy a 0-0 draw his Chelsea team just hold the ball but do nothing with it.

GA 2016 - 2017 = 29
GA 2017 - 2018 = 28
GA 2020 - 2021 = 32 with 13 games remaining.

Pretty sure Smalling played in most of those too. But whoever it was, clearly it was better.

However I would put that down to Jose's more defensive style. So I don't really see how you can compare. Mind you we did spend 80 minutes a game defending and conceding less.

It does, I don't care what trio start (including keeper) but we need to change it. But Maguire isn't a definite starter for me at the moment. I'd give him another go with Bailly, maybe then with Henderson. If it continues he needs dropping and another pair trying. We can't go into next season with this unresolved if we want to compete.
"However I would put that down to Jose's more defensive style"
You rebutted your own point re goals conceded, it's not just the centre backs that concede. We play a far more attacking style now which leaves us more open, buying a top class def midfielder would help imo. But if we play openly with Bailly and Lindelof back there will be a flood of goals conceded imo. Maguire needs a pacey CB partner imo also, and one who's braver than Lindelof. It's a pity Tuanzebe can't stay fit as I think he could be ideal.

No, you brought Jose's choice of defender's to the table.

I pointed out 3 different reasons why that was nonsense.

1 was goals conceded back then was better, 2 Bailly/lindelof weren't even the pair and 3 you can't compare two completely different styles.

Your argument

Is just completely irrelevant.

It also doesn't make Maguire a good CB

lol

I
Bailly and Lindelof were Jose's signings and even he knew they weren't good enough, I don't see any other way to view it in fairness other than starting them and sitting Maguire is a horrible idea. Just own it and quit shifting the goal posts lol.

I'm not shifting any posts, none of them are good enough, i've kept the same theme. Read back your posts and you've slagged Maguire.

You brought up the Jose era as if our defence was poor back then. But it was better, statistically.

you've claimed your opinion is all knowing and anyone elses is nonsense. I keep pointing out how everything you've said since then is contrary to that.

Lol

I'm not shifting any posts, none of them are good enough, i've kept the same theme. Read back your posts and you've slagged Maguire.

You brought up the Jose era as if our defence was poor back then. But it was better, statistically.

you've claimed your opinion is all knowing and anyone elses is nonsense. I keep pointing out how everything you've said since then is contrary to that.

Lol
When have I slagged Maguire? He's our best centre back by some distance, anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. I brought up the Jose era as he bought Bailly n Linda and didn't fancy them either and you conceded that the goals conceded then was due to the defensive approach of the team. You're the confused one, so do you want Bailly and Lindelof as the CB pairing or not? If they were good enough Maguire wouldn't have been signed.

I do keep saying, none are good enough. You're misunderstanding that you brought the Jose era into it, said we were shit defensively when in fact the opposite is true. That's all I pointed out with regard to that

This year has been our worst defensively for some time. I don't know why, I actually think the GK could be the problem.

Maguire our best defender? I couldn't argue against that, but I also couldn't argue for it. None of the CB are performing

Someone said lindelof/Bailly complimented each other last night, I couldn't say, I didn't watch the match. But if that is true, then why not. I couldn't compare it to a Jose side as we were so devensive. But whatever we try, it can't get any worse.

I do think, knowing what we do now, I wouldn't sign Maguire. But in hindsight there are many United players I wouldn't sign through my History.

I feel sorry for him, I think he's better than his form. What I don't understand on here is the blind support he gets, even blaming his errors on those around him . We all want him to do well, but it's not happening at the moment. So we try a different partner, a different keeper or drop him.

If none of those work we have real problems

It's like, on here, you say Maguire had a bad game or made a mistake it's blasphemy.

None of our CBs have impressed this season. Likewise the goalkeepers. No wonder we leak goals.

DDG is too passive
Henderson has made errors, but to be fair has not had a decent run of games.
Maguire too meek and out of position too often. Probably feels he needs to do too much. He needs to learn how to lead.
Lindelof too weak
Bailly too fragile, although has put in some solid displays.
Tuanzabe too error prone, but difficult given limited play time.

I do keep saying, none are good enough. You're misunderstanding that you brought the Jose era into it, said we were shit defensively when in fact the opposite is true. That's all I pointed out with regard to that

This year has been our worst defensively for some time. I don't know why, I actually think the GK could be the problem.

Maguire our best defender? I couldn't argue against that, but I also couldn't argue for it. None of the CB are performing

Someone said lindelof/Bailly complimented each other last night, I couldn't say, I didn't watch the match. But if that is true, then why not. I couldn't compare it to a Jose side as we were so devensive. But whatever we try, it can't get any worse.

I do think, knowing what we do now, I wouldn't sign Maguire. But in hindsight there are many United players I wouldn't sign through my History.

I feel sorry for him, I think he's better than his form. What I don't understand on here is the blind support he gets, even blaming his errors on those around him . We all want him to do well, but it's not happening at the moment. So we try a different partner, a different keeper or drop him.

If none of those work we have real problems

It's like, on here, you say Maguire had a bad game or made a mistake it's blasphemy.
Lol, whatever mate, you never give a straight answer. Maybe you should go into politics. I haven't the time nor energy to dissect your bullshit lol.

"However I would put that down to Jose's more defensive style"
You rebutted your own point re goals conceded, it's not just the centre backs that concede. We play a far more attacking style now which leaves us more open, buying a top class def midfielder would help imo. But if we play openly with Bailly and Lindelof back there will be a flood of goals conceded imo. Maguire needs a pacey CB partner imo also, and one who's braver than Lindelof. It's a pity Tuanzebe can't stay fit as I think he could be ideal.
Bailly and Lindelof worked very well together last game. I think their styles complement each other and add to a greater sum than Maguire plus either one of them. I don't know what Maguire's problem is. He looked like a better player at Leicester because he was better then. If we are better defensively now with him in the side it doesn't look like it due to the number of goals we are conceding. Tuanzebe played against PSG didn't he, and looked amazing, but that Tuanzebe hasn't been seen since.

Bailly and Lindelof worked very well together last game. I think their styles complement each other and add to a greater sum than Maguire plus either one of them.

We went in the game 4-0 up. The first leg was exactly the same with Maguire and Bailly we didn't look troubled at all. Bailly has to play because the other two are too slow.

Tomorrow i'm sure we'll return to Maguire + Lindelof. But it should be Maguire + Bailly.

I'd say the opposite and he just gets very harshly criticised on here by many so he gets defended as he's nowhere near as bad as some try to make out. His recent form includes being our best player in the game against West Brom and getting motm in the game against West Ham but that gets conveniently ignored.

I'd say some have a blind spot for others too.

That's just not true, no one said anything against Maguire until you blamed everyone bar Maguire for his error. I only commented because of that. If you had kept quiet I probably would have. But I'm not having you blame everyone but Maguire for that goal. Read back, you commented first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back