Premier League 2020/21: Man Utd vs Fulham ~ Tue 18th May 18:00 KO

I'm not 100% convinced on Ole, I think I want it to work so much it clouds my thinking. I really want him to win the league.

But, he's done nothing wrong so far, he got shafted in the transfer window last summer and still got us second and a final. I do think they need to sort that midfield out so we can be a little more positive in some games. My nagging doubt is the two defensive midfielders. I hate it.

To be fair to him, he's done really well results wise, could be unbeaten away from home.

for some reason I do look at Leicester and wonder what Rodgers could do. I don't know why.

They closed the gap to City but I don't think as much as the league shows. City had an awful start to the year but once they hit form there was only going to be one winner of the league. Liverpool have had an awful year but they'll bounce back next year and Tuchel has taken Chelsea forwards.

United also started the season poorly. If you look at the prem table on the 1st of November City were 13th and United 15th. Both teams struggled because we went deep in European competition last season and barely had the turn around time.

Tuchel gets credited with taking Chelsea forwards but not Ole and United. When in the time he's taken over they really haven't been any better than us.

You can say Ole wont challenge for the title but you also told us previously that he should be sacked and wouldn't get the team in the top 4.

As for looking at Leicester and wondering what Rodgers would do. He'd probably sign a few of the Leicester starting 11. Especially the central midfield two that would walk in to our team and massively improve it. Ndidi and Tielemans.

Tuchel gets credited with taking Chelsea forwards but not Ole and United. When in the time he's taken over they really haven't been any better than us.
Actually I said Ole has taken United forwards and should get credit for that. I just don't think the step is as big as people think based on the table.

They've needed a few players the last few years though?

I mean look Ole has taken United forwards there's no doubt about that. I just don't think it's quite as big a step as some believe.

They won the Europa League under Jose. They finished second under Jose. They won the FA Cup under LVG.

They closed the gap to City but I don't think as much as the league shows. City had an awful start to the year but once they hit form there was only going to be one winner of the league. Liverpool have had an awful year but they'll bounce back next year and Tuchel has taken Chelsea forwards.

It's hard to argue with their league position, the table never lies but I don't think they are the second best team in the league really. I think next year they'll face another fight to finish top 4 rather than being title contenders. This has been a weird season because of covid and so I don't think too much can be taken from the year.

Have United improved? Yes. Are they going to take the next steps to truly challenge next year? I don't think so. And next year it'll be the same thing. They are a few players away but won't get the investment.

And they didn't get them the club gave him squad players/kids when he needed starters.

Forget positions for me it's points totals this season we've added 5 points at least to last season and we'd got top 4 sorted with 4 games to spare had the points mattered I think we'd probably ended up at least 10 points higher than last season.

It's momentum that he needs to keep going 70 points isn't going to win a title so next season he needs to get into the 80's then the next season upper 80's.

I think the size of the job post Jose was huge the whole squad basically needed an overhaul and behind the scenes we were all over the place and while Ole has been in charge I think it's started working much better the hard to say if that's Ole's input but the whole thing seems to be a better run operation.

Ole is doing a good job and would be a good reward if he gets the Europa this year. However, next year is where he really needs to show his mettle, we have improved and got up to 2nd and for a point we were well in the title hunt. Now he has to take us onto that next level and actually win the title or at least go toe to toe with City/Liverpool over the course of a season.

I'd probably give the lad a pass if he's playing through pain twice a week and never getting a rest to try and make sure the team achieves it's goals. He also constantly gets dumped into his weakest position to accomodate others something that would probably give a lot of players the hump including him as he knows it takes away his biggest threat.

Rashford's progression is a major factor in this side suddenly jumping from 6th to 2nd/3rd so yeah he does need to go up another level to be a truely world class player but he's one of the better players we've got so binning him would be stupid.

Maybe Ole should stop picking him because it's been quite clear for months that he's not at his best for whatever reason but if Rashford went for surgery we'd have been so short fancy watching Dan James start every week because I bloody don't. The squad lacks attacking talent and with Martial's form this season we've been lucky that Rashford can play through this problem because if we hadn't even had this version of him the season could of gone very different after Christmas.

Based on his current form Southgate shouldn't be taking him to the Euro's as it's pretty obvious whatever is up with him at the moment stops him from being at his best.
Would like to ask, if playing from the left is his weakest position, what is his strongest? With that I'm not being sarcastic but truly curious. I honestly think if we sign a top class striker, Rashford will be hard to choose for the front 3. Yes the squad is sadly lacking depth, something that can be blamed on several managers or executives but this window because of the new structure in place, we must show that we have the experience and knowhow to improve, greatly!

Can't say I've ever been totally convinved but I'd say we've taken a positive step forward this season especially if Ole lands a trophy.

He wasn't really backed in the summer but he's still delivered a better overall league performance and gone a step further in the cup.

I think we need a few more players to really close the gap the squad I think is still carrying some pretty average players who are playing way to many games to win a league but I'm not convinced Ole is an world class coach either.

Defensively the team is a mess at set pieces and has been during his entire tenure as manager and going forward we still haven't really found a way of playing that opens up defensive minded sides.
Think the EL final result will answer that question. There are a lot of Ole's strategies I disagree with but what boss gets everything perfect. Will Ole be the man to bring us back k to the status where we are the team to beat, every opponent dreads coming to OT or a victory over Man U is not guaranteed until the ref blows the final whistle? Personally I doubt it!

As for looking at Leicester and wondering what Rodgers would do. He'd probably sign a few of the Leicester starting 11. Especially the central midfield two that would walk in to our team and massively improve it. Ndidi and Tielemans.
Rodgers' 1st step when taking the Celtic job was building a spine. Some might see that as an old fashioned approach but it certainly worked.
What I do find interesting tho is the amount of times I've heard Rodgers name being mentioned by Man U supporters? Any suggestions?

And they didn't get them the club gave him squad players/kids when he needed starters.

Forget positions for me it's points totals this season we've added 5 points at least to last season and we'd got top 4 sorted with 4 games to spare had the points mattered I think we'd probably ended up at least 10 points higher than last season.

It's momentum that he needs to keep going 70 points isn't going to win a title so next season he needs to get into the 80's then the next season upper 80's.

I think the size of the job post Jose was huge the whole squad basically needed an overhaul and behind the scenes we were all over the place and while Ole has been in charge I think it's started working much better the hard to say if that's Ole's input but the whole thing seems to be a better run operation.
With your theory of only points matter, I totally disagree. When I watch football, I want to be entertained. How boring and dull would it be to have to endure 38 league games with Utd taking an early lead and having the mindset and managerial philosophy to sit back and defend for the rest of the match. Reminds me of the old saying, Arsenal 1 nil

My opinion on Ole is unchanged: I like him and I think he's a good (but not great) manager, or at least he's not implementing some style that would indicate he's a tactical genius or whatever. He's been good for the club. We improved over last season.

It's a conundrum that Fred and McTominay are starters and considered awful - but we still got 2nd place. If City buys Kane, they will be champions next season. City might add more than Kane, though. What are we adding?

We need 3 players who impact the team the way Bruno has done ( pick 3: CB, CDM, RW, CF). Any chance the scouts unearth 3 more Brunos but in different positions?

No one could make this squad champions. City drew 5 and lost 6 this season, we drew 11 and lost 6. As I think IDFD/jsp mentioned, Ole should be playing for the wins instead of the draws when it's tight. Does Ole have the mindset to throw caution to the wind, to come up with more losses and wins? It doesn't look like his style. I don't like some of his lineups and some of his tactics and some of his team management (like subs).

It all comes back to where we started: if they sanction a bunch of new players, we can challenge. If they don't, we can't.

My opinion on Ole is unchanged: I like him and I think he's a good (but not great) manager, or at least he's not implementing some style that would indicate he's a tactical genius or whatever. He's been good for the club. We improved over last season.

It's a conundrum that Fred and McTominay are starters and considered awful - but we still got 2nd place. If City buys Kane, they will be champions next season. City might add more than Kane, though. What are we adding?

We need 3 players who impact the team the way Bruno has done ( pick 3: CB, CDM, RW, CF). Any chance the scouts unearth 3 more Brunos but in different positions?

No one could make this squad champions. City drew 5 and lost 6 this season, we drew 11 and lost 6. As I think IDFD/jsp mentioned, Ole should be playing for the wins instead of the draws when it's tight. Does Ole have the mindset to throw caution to the wind, to come up with more losses and wins? It doesn't look like his style. I don't like some of his lineups and some of his tactics and some of his team management (like subs).

It all comes back to where we started: if they sanction a bunch of new players, we can challenge. If they don't, we can't.
Yes I can agree with most of what u have put forward, if not all in fact.The taCtic used by Ole that bugs me the most is when defending set pieces, he has all 11 men in the box. How many clearing headers shall we see Mason Greenwood make throughout his career?
Surely 1 man must be left upfield, Greenwood prime example, that prevents our opponents, if not successful first time, from simply structuring their next assault so easily. Firm believer in defend from the front!

Would like to ask, if playing from the left is his weakest position, what is his strongest? With that I'm not being sarcastic but truly curious. I honestly think if we sign a top class striker, Rashford will be hard to choose for the front 3. Yes the squad is sadly lacking depth, something that can be blamed on several managers or executives but this window because of the new structure in place, we must show that we have the experience and knowhow to improve, greatly!

His strongest is the left his weakest is the right I personally don't think he's much of a centre forward to me he's a left sided attacking player now who can fill in doing other roles if we're short but his best chance of becoming a world class footballer is playing off the left side.

His problem now is Pogba's drifted into his spot and is playing well there but I think for this side long term it'll be Rashford left and Pogba will either be gone or will be back in a central midfield role.

With your theory of only points matter, I totally disagree. When I watch football, I want to be entertained. How boring and dull would it be to have to endure 38 league games with Utd taking an early lead and having the mindset and managerial philosophy to sit back and defend for the rest of the match. Reminds me of the old saying, Arsenal 1 nil

That one is a difficult one to judge as one mans entertainment is another mans boredom but yeah ideally Ole builds a free scoring winning machine but it wasn't always that way under Fergie there were often very dull routine wins over long periods of seasons with the odd explosive match. To me the top Utd sides decided the way the game was played against most teams and they'd pull you to pieces with plan A but if you chucked a curve ball at them like a Pulis Stoke side well they were tough enough to handle that aswell and kick you off your own park with plan B.

Utd need to be challenging for titles every season that is the standard that was set yes you want to win leagues but you should at least be in the race for it. I think Utd weren't far off that this season but I do think a few injuries around the Christmas time along with Cavani's ban knocked our momentum and allowed City to get away from us.

Mourinho left a ship that was on fire and sinking fast Ole I think has managed to put out the flames and got us back on a level platform but he needs some help to get the ship moving forward again. Last summer we didn't really hit the target with the signings that were made this summer needs to be better we need 2 or 3 players who walk straight into that starting XI and make it better.

Dont think 2 or 3 players will be enough. 4 possibly 5, depending on budget, are required. Heard Danny Ings name being mentioned. Would be a fantastic addition to the squad. There's no way we can expect Cavani to do the full season up on his own therefore if we do not sign a top class CF, this pair could alternate and allow others up front to chip in with a decent season's tally. A RW is compulsory. Then Greenwood isn't saddled with that pressure all season, he's only 19 and again, this would allow choice in this position. Could go through the rest of the team, but would have to get my phone on charge!

Dont think 2 or 3 players will be enough. 4 possibly 5, depending on budget, are required. Heard Danny Ings name being mentioned. Would be a fantastic addition to the squad. There's no way we can expect Cavani to do the full season up on his own therefore if we do not sign a top class CF, this pair could alternate and allow others up front to chip in with a decent season's tally. A RW is compulsory. Then Greenwood isn't saddled with that pressure all season, he's only 19 and again, this would allow choice in this position. Could go through the rest of the team, but would have to get my phone on charge!

Cavani staying I think rules out another striker as I don’t see Martial moving on then you have Greenwood/Rashford offering further depth. I wouldn’t be totally against Ings but I do think if we buy this summer we buy to improve the starting XI not the squad. We need to buy players who are better than those currently starting every week nail 2 or 3 of those I think kicks us on.

We signed squad players last summer Cavani only became a starter because Martial’s form went down the pan.

Cavani staying I think rules out another striker as I don’t see Martial moving on then you have Greenwood/Rashford offering further depth. I wouldn’t be totally against Ings but I do think if we buy this summer we buy to improve the starting XI not the squad. We need to buy players who are better than those currently starting every week nail 2 or 3 of those I think kicks us on.

We signed squad players last summer Cavani only became a starter because Martial’s form went down the pan.
Do.agree with most. But if Ole tells Martial his days r up as 1st choice CF, I'm sure he'd be asking for a move before he left Ole's office.
Yes I'd prefer players who would walk straight into starting 11, but can we afford Kane/Haaland, Rice, Ndidi, Sancho, Varane and a RB to help push AWB on a bit? I don't think so!
I don't think signing Cavani at 200k per week, was meant as a squad player!

Thought we weren't going to communicate with each other? Dead set enemies.
The fact is we are all MUFC supporters, different ideas, different mindsets and overall philosophies and, perhaps, ambitions. But good to have a chat buddy

Do.agree with most. But if Ole tells Martial his days r up as 1st choice CF, I'm sure he'd be asking for a move before he left Ole's office.
Yes I'd prefer players who would walk straight into starting 11, but can we afford Kane/Haaland, Rice, Ndidi, Sancho, Varane and a RB to help push AWB on a bit? I don't think so!
I don't think signing Cavani at 200k per week, was meant as a squad player!

He came to compete with Martial as the season before we were light up top having sold Lukaku and not replaced him when Martial got injured we really struggled.

Utd might get him out on loan but I don’t see him being sold rumours are he’s on 250k a week we just need him to step up and fight for his spot.

We obviously can’t afford all these players but give me 2 starters over 4 squad players every day.

Just think we’ve got to be realistic this summer budgets will be small so even if we manage to raise some cash by selling a few I’m only expecting 2 or 3 coming in the door.

Martial on 250k per week??? That's bloody awful!
Kane at present is being paid 50k less. Insane!

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Rashford is our second best player after Bruno (I'll listen to arguments for Cavani) and for much of the season was our only legitimate goal threat up front. The squad is so imbalanced without a RW that either Rashford gets shunted out there where he's not as effective, or defences can load up on him, knowing there's no threat from the right. Despite that, and the obvious injury, he still has 21 goals in 56 appearances in all competitions.

Ole isn't the best manager in the world but whomever you consider to the among the world's best isn't stupid enough to come here and work under Ed. Like @cosmicslop said, nobody wins the league or the CL with this squad. Considering the toxic state of the squad he inherited, the lack of backing in the summer, the threadbare nature of the first team and injuries to Martial and Pogba, he's done as good of a job as was humanly possible. Yes, things have ended poorly of late, but if we win the final, second and a European trophy would've been more than any of us would've thought possible in the summer.

The argument that the unusual state of the league meant that we over achieved this season is laughable. Pretty sure Covid didn't just impact everyone else but us. Ole has had the same conditions to sort out that everyone else has, he's just done a better job than everyone else. How he's managed to get this thin squad through a season in second place and in a final is nothing short of miraculous.

Rogers has a worse home record than Ole does, and has bottled the last two run ins. Imagine the state of our support if Ole had chucked top 4 in back to back seasons?

Whomever said that we need first team players is bang on. We need Bruno level signings in as many of the following as possible: CF, RW, DM, CB and possibly GK.

Cavani was signed as a squad player. If anybody saw him performing like this all season, he wouldn't have been free. He's outperformed all expectations.

Cavani was signed as a squad player. If anybody saw him performing like this all season, he wouldn't have been free. He's outperformed all expectations.
You don't pay squad players $200k per week. Ole.signed him on that initial 12 month deal because he saw that he still had the ability to perform for that period, at least.
PSG let him go cause his contract was up and they thought that to be the sensible option rather than having him compete with Neymar and Mbappe.
What he has achieved at OT so far is fantastic, long may it continue!

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Rashford is our second best player after Bruno (I'll listen to arguments for Cavani) and for much of the season was our only legitimate goal threat up front. The squad is so imbalanced without a RW that either Rashford gets shunted out there where he's not as effective, or defences can load up on him, knowing there's no threat from the right. Despite that, and the obvious injury, he still has 21 goals in 56 appearances in all competitions.

Ole isn't the best manager in the world but whomever you consider to the among the world's best isn't stupid enough to come here and work under Ed. Like @cosmicslop said, nobody wins the league or the CL with this squad. Considering the toxic state of the squad he inherited, the lack of backing in the summer, the threadbare nature of the first team and injuries to Martial and Pogba, he's done as good of a job as was humanly possible. Yes, things have ended poorly of late, but if we win the final, second and a European trophy would've been more than any of us would've thought possible in the summer.

The argument that the unusual state of the league meant that we over achieved this season is laughable. Pretty sure Covid didn't just impact everyone else but us. Ole has had the same conditions to sort out that everyone else has, he's just done a better job than everyone else. How he's managed to get this thin squad through a season in second place and in a final is nothing short of miraculous.

Rogers has a worse home record than Ole does, and has bottled the last two run ins. Imagine the state of our support if Ole had chucked top 4 in back to back seasons?

Whomever said that we need first team players is bang on. We need Bruno level signings in as many of the following as possible: CF, RW, DM, CB and possibly GK.
5 signings at Bruno level? The fee for that to happen would be above any club's level

You don't pay squad players $200k per week. Ole.signed him on that initial 12 month deal because he saw that he still had the ability to perform for that period, at least.
PSG let him go cause his contract was up and they thought that to be the sensible option rather than having him compete with Neymar and Mbappe.
What he has achieved at OT so far is fantastic, long may it continue!
You do if they're on a free. Don't agree with it, but if there's no fee the buying club will usually up wages. Plus I'm assuming there was some competition and we had to offer a competitive package.

If I was in Ole's shoes, the 1st names I'd have on the teamsheet would be Bruno, Shaw, Pogba, McGuire, Cavani and AWB. In that order. Then look to build on that!

Maybe that's not entirely fair. A fully fit Rashford, definitely. Followed by what is going to be Ole's biggest problem over the next few months, the GK that he is going to choose, either between who he has or who he buys, as his definite No. 1

Being the one who initially posted the question of Rashford for Kane idea, I would lean toward keeping him( Marcus ) and go for Sancho on the other wing with Ings as a cheaper alternative to Kane but still a proper CF, also a centre half is still our other priority as Dias for city won them the league + CL final.

lean toward keeping him? he is going nowhere, he is superb, and an accademy player. He's been injured most of the season and has still bagged 20 odd goals from the wing. He is about the only player in our team who runs at defences. I can't believe anyone is questioning him really.
To suggest he's anything but a nailed on starter is crazy.

Even injured, he's still a starter for England. Although that will mean he misses the start of our season.

The only time I can see benefit in going for someone like Ings, is if we sell Martial. My guess is we'll make do until the follwoing season.

And a new CB is not going to win us the league, the majority of our problems are in the middle of the pitch.

lean toward keeping him? he is going nowhere, he is superb, and an accademy player. He's been injured most of the season and has still bagged 20 odd goals from the wing. He is about the only player in our team who runs at defences. I can't believe anyone is questioning him really.
To suggest he's anything but a nailed on starter is crazy.

Even injured, he's still a starter for England. Although that will mean he misses the start of our season.

The only time I can see benefit in going for someone like Ings, is if we sell Martial. My guess is we'll make do until the follwoing season.

And a new CB is not going to win us the league, the majority of our problems are in the middle of the pitch.
Lean toward him meant would a swap for Kane improve the team, a lot of people think it would.

Thought we weren't going to communicate with each other? Dead set enemies.
The fact is we are all MUFC supporters, different ideas, different mindsets and overall philosophies and, perhaps, ambitions. But good to have a chat buddy
Couldn't help it, United fans would never refer to the club as Man U.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back