Premier League 2020/21 Man Utd vs Chelsea Sat 24th Oct 17.30 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
@O-Dog Martial is banned so can't be the same team and Greenwood seems to be in the bad books.

Not sure Cavani will be fit enough to start either so think it might be a slight tweek with Mata/James/VDB coming in to play off the wings be more of a 3-4-3 but I agree if they're all fit they go again against Chelsea.

Before PSG Ole suggested Maguire might be ready for Chelsea but Bailly is out for 3-4 weeks.

DDG

Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw

AWB Fred McTominay Telles

Mata Rashford Bruno

Annoyingly Chelsea's new keeper is fit so we don't get the 2-0 head start that Kepa gives you in goal but that defence is shaky so Utd should fancy themselves to get a few goals.

I'd start the same team as the last league win.

@O-Dog Martial is banned so can't be the same team and Greenwood seems to be in the bad books.

Not sure Cavani will be fit enough to start either so think it might be a slight tweek with Mata/James/VDB coming in to play off the wings be more of a 3-4-3 but I agree if they're all fit they go again against Chelsea.

Before PSG Ole suggested Maguire might be ready for Chelsea but Bailly is out for 3-4 weeks.

DDG

Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw

AWB Fred McTominay Telles

Mata Rashford Bruno

Annoyingly Chelsea's new keeper is fit so we don't get the 2-0 head start that Kepa gives you in goal but that defence is shaky so Utd should fancy themselves to get a few goals.
Yup. Same formation as I think Chelsea are similar to PSG; good upfront but brittle defensively and mentally. If we don't give them a foothold in the game, we'll do them.

Not sure this is the game for Mata, Chelsea won't be camped in their own half but not sure who could play up there though with Rashford as James is completely ineffective. Maybe put Pogba or VDB in where Bruno plays and stick Bruno further up. More of a 3-5-1-1

Think if you go back 3 you need to try and keep 3 up to allow yourself to get out from pressure Mata might not be the right player for Chelsea but you sometimes have to go with form and he's the one in form.

Got to play Mata after his performance vs Newcastle. I would go back to a 4 at the back with Tuanzebe (if unscathed from PSG) and Maguire (if fit) - if one doesn’t play then obviously Lindelof in. I am basing the below on Greenwood not being fit or still in the naughty corner.

De Gea

AWB - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Shaw

Fred - Pogba

Mata - Bruno - James

Rashford​

Not sure about Mata scoring against Chelsea for us doesn't instantly ring any bells.

Yeah can only remember one a couple of years back. Nothing else comes to mind.

In my head he always scored for them against us before he joined but think that's my mind playing tricks remember a cracking volley against us at the back post then De Gea saving a great last minute free kick.

Mata always seemed to pop up with goals in big games especially at home.

We had Chelsea's number last season of the 4 games we won 3 they won 1.

Be interesting to see if Ole sticks with the back 3 or moves to the back 4 we looked comfortable as a 4 against PSG and with Telles still settling in you wonder if they might ease him in slowly like they've done with VDB.

Chelsea seem to be setting up more 4-2-3-1 this season and have ditched the back 3 themselves that might give Ole comfort to almost match up the system.

Our home form is becoming a real worry. Since lockdown:

Home - 3 wins 1 draw 2 losses
Away - 9 wins 1 draw

This season:

Home: 2 losses
Away: 5 wins

The last 5 home games have been

2-2 Southampton
1-1 West Ham
2-1 LASK
1-3 Palace
1-6 Spurs

Where as we've got 9 straight wins away from home.

Nope, still not convinced about Mata for this game no matter how he played last time out. Newcastle played with 10 men, the manager, the kit man and tea boy behind the ball for 85% of the game. Chelsea will be a different kettle of fish who I would expect to win this game just like we did in Paris, defend well and counter attack. If you think Mata is the man for counter attacking..........:eek:

It's not like we are gonna be camped around Chelsea's 18 yard box all game is it!

It's just about options really with Martial out, Greenwood probably out, Cavani not yet fit his options start to look a bit limited so you have to consider just squeezing in the man in form.

If they have Mata/Bruno/James behind the striker you've got a nice balance of speed and creativity if Utd can get the ball forward quickly to these lads in space then we've got potential to cause Chelsea a lot of problems.

The temptation for Ole will probably be putting Pogba back in from the start he's made a big impact off the bench in the 2 games he's started on the bench has he done enough to get the starting spot. I'd probably leave him on the bench to give yourself something to come in and impact the game if needed.

It's certainly an option if I was thinking about putting Pogba back in I'd have him in the centre of the 3 behind the striker with Bruno plus one other.

Fitting him in has become a bit of a problem especially when we're still trying to find a place for VDB.

I'm on board with James starting on the left of the front 3 he's switched on defensively and they attack a lot down their right with Reece James so maybe Dan James could try and nullify him a bit.

Big 3 points up for grabs as both managers are being compared and finished level on points last season maybe more pressure on Lampard this season for the money he has spent maybe.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be a big boost to have all 3 of them back

It seems to be sounding positive for Cavani, I hope he starts but if not at least a half hour

Might be to soon for a start but would be nice to see him get sometime off the bench in the next few games see what he has to offer while Martial is banned.

If he gets off to a good start he could easily find himself the starter as Martial hasn't really got going yet he really needs to rise to the bait this time as the last 2 times strikers have come to take his spot he's sulked about it rather than stand up to the fight like a top player would.

I think Ole Knows Martial is more long term then Cavani so I can’t see Cavani taking he’s place but if he does tht would mean he’s doing something right and is scoring so would be ideal

I think Ole Knows Martial is more long term then Cavani so I can’t see Cavani taking he’s place but if he does tht would mean he’s doing something right and is scoring so would be ideal
I am hopeful Cavani starts today, with Rashford suspended it is the perfect opportunity. This guy will be demanding plenty of game time and it's my opinion he will get it during the course of the season. I think he is a great signing and I have big expectancy of him as I do of the team this season. He is the perfect signing who will likely force the best out of Martial and help Greenwood to further develop.
He hasn't arrived with the No 7 on his back to be a bench warming substitute.

Lindelof Maguire Shaw
AWB McTominay Fred Telles
Greenwood Rashford
Cavani

Pogba and DVDB to both get game time. Its a well deserved rest day for Bruno

I am hopeful Cavani starts today, with Rashford suspended it is the perfect opportunity. This guy will be demanding plenty of game time and it's my opinion he will get it during the course of the season. I think he is a great signing and I have big expectancy of him as I do of the team this season. He is the perfect signing who will likely force the best out of Martial and help Greenwood to further develop.
He hasn't arrived with the No 7 on his back to be a bench warming substitute.
I think the same as you on this one might see what the odds are for a brace today ? You never know against Thiago he’s old team mate , Owen was a number 7 impact sub though

I think the same as you on this one might see what the odds are for a brace today ? You never know against Thiago he’s old team mate , Owen was a number 7 impact sub though
This is true but my expectancy of Cavani's impact on us is much greater than a player who was signed on a pay per play basis due to his injury problems.
I'm looking for an impact somewhat closer to RVP's
We are getting close to being able to challenge for the title, we need to get banging more goals in and Cavani will bring something else. Imagine Cavani, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all competing for most goals at the end of the season alongside what others like Bruno, Pogba and DVB will chip in.
Ole know's what he is at, make no mistake about that.

I'm going 4-2-3-1;
---------------------DDG - - - -
-AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-Telles-
-----------McTominay--Fred-----------
-------Donny---Bruno---Rashford-
--------------------Cavani-------------------
In practice it'll be 4-2-2-2 for a lot of the match with Donny and Bruno syncing up in central areas and Rashford pushing up to join Cavani.
3-1 United in a statement win that really gets our season going. Come on United

This is true but my expectancy of Cavani's impact on us is much greater than a player who was signed on a pay per play basis due to his injury problems.
I'm looking for an impact somewhat closer to RVP's
We are getting close to being able to challenge for the title, we need to get banging more goals in and Cavani will bring something else. Imagine Cavani, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all competing for most goals at the end of the season alongside what others like Bruno, Pogba and DVB will chip in.
Ole know's what he is at, make no mistake about that.
9/1 for a brace worth a tenner! I hope I’m not getting my hopes up in this game for another Tottenham

I'm going 4-2-3-1;
---------------------DDG - - - -
-AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-Telles-
-----------McTominay--Fred-----------
-------Donny---Bruno---Rashford-
--------------------Cavani-------------------
In practice it'll be 4-2-2-2 for a lot of the match with Donny and Bruno syncing up in central areas and Rashford pushing up to join Cavani.
3-1 United in a statement win that really gets our season going. Come on United
Giving the defensive problems we had early doors and the fact that going 3 at the back clearly makes us solid, I just dont know why we should change it at this point. Lets stay as we are, get some good performances and wins under our belt. Opponents are really scared of us when we have the solidity given our counter attack potential, especially now that Rashford is back on song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back