Premier League 2020/21: Liverpool vs Man Utd ~ Sun 17th 4.30PM KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So table topping Man Utd travel to the current champions Liverpool this weekend.

Early Team News
Liverpool ~ Still missing a lot of players Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip & Jota being the key ones.
Man Utd ~ Lindelof is a doubt and after last night Martial and Matic could also be doubts I'd say that having gone off injured there's little chance that Martial makes it.

In terms of form Utd are absolutely flying at the moment and our away form is unreal but we go to the best home team in the country unbeaten at Anfield in years in fact Mo Salah has never lost a league game at Anfield and he joined the club in 2017. Utd in the past had a good record of being the record breakers against the odds but this is something that happened 15 years ago not 15 minutes ago.

In terms of Ole's plans there's 2 big questions for him if everyone is fit who starts with Maguire at CB and does he start Pogba.

Utd's strength so often has been beating the press to open up space against better sides but even City stood off us this season will Klopp ask his team to do the same? Our counter attack threat is so strong will Klopp look to play it a bit safer or will he go on the front foot and back his style to work. Being the bullish guy he is I don't see him adapting to us and why should he.

Liverpool's form is rocky their attack has lost it's edge none of them are really in great form in front of goal and it's not been clicking for them in the way it did last season.

My Predicted XI

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

McTominay Fred

James Bruno Rashford

Cavani

I don't think Pogba starts this one and I think Lindelof gets the nod at centre back alongside Maguire.

I think he'll keep Pogba in this one and play the 4 CM's

McT will float across to the right to cover Robertson's runs.

Is Shaw definitely not going to be in some kind of concussion protocol? That was a massive hit.

DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

McT Fred

Rashford Bruno Pogba

Cavani

I guess Shaw will be under observation over the next few days but he continued and the doctors were pretty thorough so there can't have been any clear signs straight away.

I know they do tests to look at brain function and compare that to benchmarks you've set previously to determine if you might be concussed.

I can see why he'd want Pogba in the team but we can't keep wasting Rashford on the right I don't want him chasing Robertson back all game I'd be looking to him to really expose the space left by TAA so if the Pogba plan is used I think he has to play on the right.

Would even rule out a complete curve ball and see us go to a 4-3-3 and play either Pogba or VDB in a 3 man midfield to match up Liverpool and give Bruno the free role off the right side to do his thing. The problem with that is you potentially leave Robertson a lot of room to get forward.

Thiago being back for them is a huge boost as I think where they've had problems in recent games is giving away sloppy possession and getting hit on the break with him in the team I think they'll be much better at keeping the ball and pinning us back.

Thinking back to this game last season which we lost 2-0 it was actually an ok performance from Utd against at the time a much much better side we gave away a goal on a set piece and weathered a storm but second half we had them on the ropes for a bit and they killed us with a last kick on the break which we had everyone forward. The teams come a long way since then so there isn't anything to fear but we saw vs City in the league cup switch off for 1 moment vs a top side and it's over to get away from Anfield with points the defence has to be rock solid.

Pogba has to start. Against Burnley we saw the player we had hoped we were buying; to rest him now would be madness. I was not impressed with Rashford, Cavani, or Martial in the last game, so it wouldn't bother me if Ole came up with something different for Liverpool. Rashford was wasted on the right, I'd play Greenwood there. I thought our left side was really vulnerable because Martial was pushed high for a lot of the game and Shaw had to do an insane amount of running covering solo.

I wouldn't interrupt Bailly's run right now by replacing him with Lindelof, although Bailly's recklessness and decision-making are really worrying. He's certainly a more dynamic defender than Lindelof but I'd rather have a fit Lindelof.

This lineup will be a tough one to pick. I think Ole will be more interested in not losing this one than in winning it. I would not be surprised to see a really defensive set up. I would select VDB as a defensive option over a goal-scoring option like an out of form Rashford, who looks like he's carrying a knock.

----------------DeGea-----------------
AWB-----Bailly-----Maguire-----Shaw
------McTominay-------Matic----------
VDB-----------Bruno--------Pogba
----------------Cavani-------------

Pogba on current form has to start, and in big games, Ole likes the McTominay-Fred combination. I think the pace of the game would be too much for Matic. Bailly also has too start, I get the comments about his recklessness but how often does he cover for Maguire which Lindelof does not have the pace to do? I tihnk he is a better partner for Maguire than Lindelof. To get Pogba into the team, you could have Rashford up front in the no.9 role. He has been quiet in the last few games but the Liverpool defenders will be very wary of his threat.

----------------DeGea--------------
AWB-----Bailly----Maguire----Shaw
------McTominay----Fred----------
VDB-----------Bruno--------Pogba
---------------Rashford-------------

As much as I like VDB no way is he starting this one.
I want Cavani to start but I don’t know if Martial is fit then would he start him up front for more counter attacking pace maybe ? If Fabinho and Henderson plays CB against Cavani then he must be licking he’s lips with he’s movement they won’t know where he’s coming from

I think he'll go

------------DDG-------------
---Bailly------mag----shaw
Awb -----------------telles
------mctom------pog--------
-bruno----Cavani-----rash

I'm shocked at some of the teams being mentioned. Can't see any way Donny starts or that Fred doesn't.

I thought there were only a couple of question marks. Pogba and Shaw/Martial fitness.

I think he'll want to play Pogba, So I think he'll go for the formation that gets him in there and keeps Rashford on TAA. I don't think it will work though.

I don't like Rashford on the right, as you show, although he did do that against Burnley of course. But he didn't do much, other than assist a goal :-D

I mean you all could well be right. I just can't see us going in to the game trying something we've never done before.

In terms of the formation I think those are the 11 players that will be picked. He could easily have Bruno or Pogba over on the right. I just think it'll be those 6 occupying the front 6 positions.

The problem is Pogba, we either play the side best adapted to play Liverpool and leave him out, pretty much confirming his exit. Or we play him and move others around to suit. It's a tricky decision to be made.

I do think, even though I am a huge fan, we might be better moving him on in the long term.

We just don't have another player with his vision and passing.

I think assuming Martial is injured 5 of the front 6 pick themselves.

McT Bruno Fred Rashford and Cavani start.

The choice is just if you pick Pogba, Greenwood or James as that 6th player. I'd play Pogba, he's the inform player out of the 3. I don't want to see James running through on the defenders and make the wrong decision again and Greenwood seems to be struggling.

If Martials fit then it becomes a much tougher choice.

TAA is off form, we could play Pogba there as you say. On form TAA I would worry about the tracking back of Pogba

I think this Liverpool team is there to be got at. Trust the back 4 plus McT and Fred to deal with them and give ourselves a chance going forward.

With the way there two teams are playing this game could easily end up 3/4-0 either way.

Not sure if this goes here or on the Pogba thread

Ole is on Footbal Focus on Saturday too

im so excited about this match. I was going to buy a NowTV pass. But I think I'll listen on the radio

I quite enjoy the radio commentry. Then watch MoTD...............unless we lose :)

To me there's 2 spots up for grabs in this side

It's Bailly or Lindelof
It's Pogba or a wide player

Up top it's Cavani all day for me he's not really scoring much but Martial isn't either and he's missing chances that for him are easy chances.

I think we have to try and attack their weak spot which is the defence they've still got a top class keeper but Cavani's movement I think gives their centre backs plenty to think about and for me we have to put Rashford up against TAA.

Creativity wise I think the danger from Liverpool comes from their left side so I'd consider James up against Robertson as he's the most defensively disciplined of our options leaving AWB to worry about stopping Mane.

If that means Pogba starts on the bench then so be it what an option to have from your bench if you need to change the game.

This will probably come back to bite me but I haven't been this excited for a game against Liverpool in a long time.

I really fancy us to go in there and end their ridiculous unbeaten home run.

I haven't had a drink really since the 18th of December (had one with dinner on Christmas day and one at midnight on NYE.)

I got some Brewdog during the week. A win tomorrow and I'll crack a couple open. The Football god's have got my back!

My team for tomorrow would be;

--------------- DDG - - - - - - -
AWB---Bailly--Maguire--Shaw.
----------McTominay--Fred-------
Greenwood-----Bruno--Rashford.
--------------Cavani------------

Rashford and Bruno must play in their best positions. Would be tempted to play Pogba instead of Fred, with the brief to get up and down the pitch like he did at Burnley.

Prediction - cagey 1-1 draw, my heart says 2-1 United though.

It’s gonna feel like a title decider. I think we are going to surprise them, and embarrass them at home. So many possible lineups Ole could select. Biggest question is who’s playing on the right. He’s picked James there, Greenwood, Rashford, Mata... none of them have made the spot their own. I put Donny there to allow Bruno more freedom to chase the ball. Donny is no wing but he can keep the ball moving and operate as an 8.

Should be a great match, but low scoring. I predict we win though!

Or this:
---------------DeGea-----------------
----McTominay-----VDB--------
Rashford-----Bruno-----Pogba
---------------Martial------------

Or this:
---------------DeGea-----------------
----McTominay-----VDB--------
Rashford-----Bruno-----Pogba
---------------Martial------------
This team but with Free instead of VDB. VDB has done little since joining United to justify selection in a game of this magnitude.

Can’t believe some people don’t have Fred in the starting line up. Think he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Good time to be playing Liverpool...
...feels like the most important game of this season so far.
If it ends in a draw, that would suit Utd more.
There is more pressure on Liverpool to get the 3 points.
A win for you would be devastating for them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hard to argue with the line up.

Lindelof is clearly Ole’s first choice so not surprised to see him come in.

Lindelof has been better than Maguire in their recent games. I don't understand why he gets such a hard time on here.

My guess, he was picked as he's less of a red card liability. And he's been in really good form when fit.

Bailly has been in brilliant form of late and keeping him in would be a reward for those performances. Plus against Liverpool you need a little bit of pace at the back unless we park the bus. Lindelof is a solid centre back but as a partnership I did think Bailly and Maguire were playing nicely together.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back