Premier League 2020/21: Chelsea vs Man Utd Sun 28th Feb 16.30 ko

That is the thing we all agree the rules are a bit stupid but they are the rules and need to be applied consistently through the season and then changed at the end of the season.

Even with all the recent rule changes that's been a penalty kick as long as I can remember the only thing is now we have VAR to spot it as in real time no one is going to spot that as it all happened so quickly and it happened on the refs blind side as he can't see through the players.

Yeah he's moved his hand to the ball. It's a penalty in every season not just this one.

It's a penalty, I'm not saying any different to that,

But I don't like it, the ball is moving away from goal, he's got no idea where it is, it hits his hand. For me, things like this should never be a penalty. The handball thing in football has got out of hand. Some of them, where a player gets the ball whacked at them from 2 yards and hits their hand. None of these are penalties in football for me. It's getting way too technical for my liking. Calling the game back a couple minutes after the even too.

The radio commentry had no idea what was going on, they thought it was being reviewed for a Greenwood handball in his own box, so a Chelsea penalty!

VAR should be used for things like Suarez pinching that player the other night. Not this

These are the rules as written when it comes to handball straight off the FA Website.

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
  • after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body
I still maintain it's an accident as he's raised his arm to try and hold off Greenwood but as they come together that momentum takes him into the ball making a minor contact but under the current rules it's a penalty. Basically it is 100% based on bullet point number 1 and none of the exceptions apply so it is handball and should be a penalty the ref has therefore had an absolute shocker.

It is only really a talking point because we have VAR before VAR assuming they ever showed another replay of the incident no one would expect the ref or assistant to spot that touch. From the replays not one Utd player appealed for the handball in fact it was Chelsea players appealing for handball by Greenwood as that was what it looked like.

As for the time it takes the problem is VAR can't stop the game so the game had to carry on until the ball went dead before the ref can go to the monitor to look. The VAR had pretty quickly decided that the ref needed to take a look but from memory the ball stayed in play for about a minute before the game eventually stopped so he could go and look.

The ball didn't go dead did it? The ref ended up blowing the game dead I think. That's why I was sure he'd give a penalty before we even saw a replay.

I can't actually recall why it stopped. He is supposed has to wait until there's a natural stoppage ball goes dead or a free kick is awarded before he can then go to the monitor and check even if VAR is saying 100% it's a penalty no need to go to the monitor, they still have to wait until the game stops.

No punishment for Shaws comments. Which must mean there is some truth to them.

No punishment for Shaws comments. Which must mean there is some truth to them.

I dunno Utd rushing to scale back on them very quickly suggests they didn't want it going any further either probably because unless they do record the refs it's not something anyone could ever prove anyway and it will leave a lot of bad blood between the club and the refs.

It's a penalty, I'm not saying any different to that,

But I don't like it, the ball is moving away from goal, he's got no idea where it is, it hits his hand. For me, things like this should never be a penalty. The handball thing in football has got out of hand. Some of them, where a player gets the ball whacked at them from 2 yards and hits their hand. None of these are penalties in football for me. It's getting way too technical for my liking. Calling the game back a couple minutes after the even too.

The radio commentry had no idea what was going on, they thought it was being reviewed for a Greenwood handball in his own box, so a Chelsea penalty!

VAR should be used for things like Suarez pinching that player the other night. Not this

Handball rule changing again, in July, accidental handball leading to a goal will no longer be given as handball.

Handball rule changing again, in July, accidental handball leading to a goal will no longer be given as handball.
What does that mean? An accidental handball that doesn't lead to a goal will be given as handball? or a ball handled into the net unintentionally shall be given as a goal?
I'm confused.

Accidental handball by a defender should not be a penalty either.

It never used to be, and neither should it. It's football bureaucracy we are dealing with now. Madness.

This is what happens when you drive for “consistency” you can’t make the rules black or white and still have accidental handball.

These rule changes are driven by VAR for me they need to scrap VAR it doesn’t work in football just go back and accept that people make mistakes it isn’t that important. Keep the goal line technology but the rest can go in the bin it’s a waste of time and money and the majority of fans hate it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back