Premier League 2019/20: Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur

I suspect the players were highly motivated due to Mourinho being the opposing manager.

Whilst I agree there would be a point to that I think it also just highlights our shortcomings against mediocre sides. Other than City none of the big sides have really come and outplayed us since Ole has come in. He’s got it working against the attacking sides we play against. He’s got to work out a tactic for the lesser games now.

It was our best performance in a while. Probably since the opening day of the season.

That's true IDFD, on the radio they said united have not won a game when they have the high % possession.

I think we just don't have the players to break teams down. We need to play like we did last night more often, Rashford needs to bring that to every game. Maybe he just feels better with Greenwood up top, who will just stay down the middle.

Great performance, and great team selection

I think the main thing in the bigger games is these teams let us play they come and attack leave wingers high and leave space for our players this suits us when we play against other teams they sit deep and frustrate us and when we get nowhere we kind of give up which then allows them to grow in confidence.

I thought of the games vs the bigger sides this was the game where Utd actually sustained their dominance and control for the majority of the game without losing that cutting edge.

Spurs to me looked a lot like us a team that really is lacking in midfield.

The results in this round of fixtures make it even more annoying the 4 points thrown away from leading positions against promoted sides in the last 10 days.

The results in this round of fixtures make it even more annoying the 4 points thrown away from leading positions against promoted sides in the last 10 days.

Exactly in those two rounds Chelsea dropped 6 points and we only closed that gap by 2 we really had a chance to get ourselves right behind them and try to put some pressure on.

That said it feels like it'll be plenty more ups and downs it doesn't feel like we're anywhere near being a consistent side yet against the lesser teams in the league especially away from home. That was the frustration a point on the road I can handle but drawing at home to Villa in that limp way we did wasn't acceptable.

Lots of young players, probably don't know how to close out a game yet.

It's not even closing out games though it's just turning up away from home.

Have we had one convincing away performance this season in the league? The only one that comes to mind was Norwich but everyone is filling their boots vs them as they're such an open team.

We lost at West Ham, Newcastle and Bournemouth and were dreadful. Draws at Wolves & Southampton where we had an ok half hour took the lead then never really got going again let it slip for a draw. Sheff Utd which was a disaster.

It's not really a new problem been there for a few years on the road we are not good teams are always up for playing us and our players very rarely rise to the challenge.

ok, I thought the chat was talking about the Villa and Sheffield games where we were ahead in both.

Well closing things out has been a problem but it's more lead building I can't think of many games where we've scored a goal then scored the next goal quite a few times this season when we get 1-0 ahead the next goal is 1-1 rather then 2-0.

Getting more than one ahead makes it easier to close out because you can afford one mistake or moment of magic but when you haven't taken advantage of your good spell to build that lead you create a problem when you then start to ease off as a lapse of concentration can really hurt you.

The next stage for this team is when they're on top to really take the game away from the opponent they did it vs Norwich and Brighton and even Chelsea on the opening day so they have it in them.

yeah, that's what I was saying, the team is quite young and inexperienced, so we let those 1 goal margins go. With a bit more experience hopefully we'll be able to get that other goal or see the game out.

No doubt the experience of Pogba and Matic is missing.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back