Premier League 2019/20 Man Utd v West Ham - Wed 22nd July 18.00 kick off

That's a bit of a statement from someone who admits he doesnt even watch or support us anymore. We have had an impressive run since restart with some great football played and world class goals.
And the Southampton game? The Palace game? The Chelsea game? Tonight's game? Nobody is denying that they've played good football. Nobody is arguing that the run hasn't been impressive. But the last few games should serve as a reminder to United that they are still a long long way away.

And the Southampton game? The Palace game? The Chelsea game? Tonight's game? Nobody is denying that they've played good football. Nobody is arguing that the run hasn't been impressive. But the last few games should serve as a reminder to United that they are still a long long way away.
Thing is, we are all aware of that, nobody is fooled. But i for one am pleased that we are so close to securing that CL spot that will have a major impact on our ability to improve the squad.

Bit harsh. They had the smallest of opportunities post lockdown and have made this chance. We haven’t bottled it we’re unbeaten in 13 and have pulled in a 15 point gap to third in the league.

I think in reference to this it’s been this way throughout the season even before lockdown whenever Chelsea slipped we’d slip we’ve had so many chances to get things going and just haven’t done it.

So now we go into the last day needing something when a bit more consistency through the first half of the season we’d have been in CL no problem.

Since lockdown they’ve done great no defeats in the league so far just running out of steam at the vital moment.

Anyone's nerves tingling already? I'm massively excited for this but I kinda feel like we will put in another dour performance and make it difficult to watch. I'd love it if we came out the blocks and got straight at them.
Ha, unbelievably bad performance that wasn't unexpected whatsoever.

Has Bruno's honeymoon period ended?
Pogba back to looking uninterested
Matic back to being, well Matic. He has the turning circle of a battleship and take sooooooooooooo long on the ball.

Greenwood looked the only one who wanted to play with tempo and directness. It was like watching a LVG team last night. Just dire.

On the bright side DDG didn't make a howler and we've somehow gone from 5th to 3rd but still feels like a miserable night.

I think we're just tired, and next season is coming around quickly.

You look at city, liverpool, chelsea, they have been changing their starting 11's.

I'm not 100% we will get a result on Sunday, hopefully the occasion will lift us.

Leicester have a depleted team, 3 out of the back 4 are missing plus Maddison.

I have no idea how he will set us up, defensive, attacking, holding?

We certainly need a clear out and some decent squad players bringing in, the depth on the bench is rubbish

To many games in to short a period is my only answer really the whole team starts games like it's the 80th minutes there's no buzz no energy which is exactly what happened last season at the end. Defending starts from the front and there's almost no pressing now as the players need to save their sprints for the attacks. The team burned out after that run of games with Ole after he took over the team dropped like flies in March to injury and Utd limped to the end it looks like it'll be the same thing in this little post covid mini league.

It was a chicken and egg thing Utd had to get off to a flier to be in the mix we did that and as a result we go in to the final game in a strong position, had we rotated I don't think we'd have picked up as many points as we have.

What it means though is all our bench players have barely played football so they are all rusty which means unless you are putting them on at 3-0 up like we have been they are basically useless as they're nowhere near match speed.

Personally my only criticism is we should have gone even weaker in that FA Cup semi final.

It just highlights what a lot of people have said our starting XI is now competitive but the squad isn't anywhere near good enough the quality drop off between a starter and a sub is huge which makes rotation almost impossible.

You look at the quality of players that City, Liverpool and even Chelsea can bring off the bench compared to us it's worlds apart.

The goal this summer for me is buy players that improve the starting XI, those guys then move to the bench and those on the bench go.

Yeah I think it’s just tiredness for the most part. Like jsp said he had to play full string every game to get into this position but now he did a lot of our players are just limping over the line. Also Rashford and Pogba were out for a few months even before the 3 month break. Fernandes has basically been played for every minute - he must he absolutely knackered. We just need to get through the Leicester game and summon every ounce of energy we have left.

Still confident we will get the job done. And strangely confident Wolves will turn over Chelsea.

I think there's also a tactical element teams have worked out if you put our defence under pressure especially from goal kicks they make mistakes and struggle to play out as we have no option to go long either by playing direct to a strikers chest or trying to play a striker in behind.

We are very slow at building up play which means the opponent can get right up against us especially when the ball goes into the centre mids Matic and Pogba need to move that ball quickly back out of that area but full backs don't always show for it so they get trapped. It's a part of the system I don't think we've quite cracked yet and if you come out slowly it then become very hard to inject speed into the move as their entire team is back behind the ball.

I didn't see the first half of the game but it sounds like the game swung on a moment of stupidity by Pogba (got home just in time to see that) if we don't give away that penalty and go in at 0-0 I think we probably get the win had we got the first goal in this game like Palace I think we win the game.

I think we do need a striker or attacker who can get on the end of crosses we get forced out wide a lot but we rarely put the ball into the box because there really isn't anyone who can win the headers against the centre backs. Our only option when wide is to try the low cross which normally means your wide player needs to get in close to pick out his man.

One game to go against a team with a depleted defence and missing their main creative player as well all we can hope is they players can rest up and summon the energy to go one last time really put it all in knowing that it's all or nothing. Empty that tank on the pitch on Sunday to make sure we get over the line and don't have another season of p*ssing about in the bloody Europa League I'm sure all of them have got some nice bonuses to collect if the team makes it to the CL next season as well.

I didn't see the first half of the game but it sounds like the game swung on a moment of stupidity by Pogba (got home just in time to see that)
Well, the kick off time was clear enough in the thread header.

Aren't most of them on a 25% pay cut until we get back in to the Champions League?

I wouldn't say it was stupidity, the ball was kick at his face. Just one of those things.

I wouldn't say it was stupidity, the ball was kick at his face. Just one of those things.

It's basics though you either take it in the face or move out the way

I don't think he was switched on when the kick was taken had he been facing the ball when it was set to Rice he'd have had plenty of time to duck out the way but because he sees it late he takes a natural reaction to block his face.

Aren't most of them on a 25% pay cut until we get back in to the Champions League?

Never been confirmed but certainly is rumoured that all player contracts at Utd include 25% reductions if the team doesn't qualify for the CL.

It makes no difference what Pogba did, we were exceedingly poor. We actually came out the blocks quite well but that lasted around 8 minutes and we had a great 5 minute spell from kick off second half which created the goal. I'm sat there thinking game over we'll kick on from here but oh no, back to the crap football again.

My guess is we are in for the same again Sunday

Well it does make a difference gifting the opponent the opening goal changes the game massively if Utd go ahead in that game I'm not sure West Ham really muster much of a come back to be honest.

I see other managers in their technical areas, Klopp, Pep, Lampard etc.
I couldn't agree more on that mate, sat staring at a ipad and you just want to see some emotion on the touchlines when we were evidently very leggy.

If we were offered this chance back when we were 8/9 points off CL places we would of taken it, that what i have to keep telling myself anyway.

I couldn't agree more on that mate, sat staring at a ipad and you just want to see some emotion on the touchlines when we were evidently very leggy.

If we were offered this chance back when we were 8/9 points off CL places we would of taken it, that what i have to keep telling myself anyway.

I listen on the radio and often hear Ole shouting instructions. He must get up some times.

I listen on the radio and often hear Ole shouting instructions. He must get up some times.

He does he watches a lot of the game on a monitor for replays but when he's not happy he's down there barking orders.

Different coaches have different methods some like to stand and micro manage others like to sit back and only intervene when something needs to be said there is no right or wrong way.

You can view it two ways if you constantly have to go out and bark orders at your team chances are they haven't listened to you or you or correcting a bad decision you made.

It's a stupid thing that some people look at when a team is dropping points. The Norwich manager never sits down but all his barking orders has achieved nothing for his team this season.

Most of the time he only comes down when he thinks someone either isn't putting a shift in or if they're making mistakes and he's giving them a final warning.

He does he watches a lot of the game on a monitor for replays but when he's not happy he's down there barking orders.

Different coaches have different methods some like to stand and micro manage others like to sit back and only intervene when something needs to be said there is no right or wrong way.

You can view it two ways if you constantly have to go out and bark orders at your team chances are they haven't listened to you or you or correcting a bad decision you made.

It's a stupid thing that some people look at when a team is dropping points. The Norwich manager never sits down but all his barking orders has achieved nothing for his team this season.

Most of the time he only comes down when he thinks someone either isn't putting a shift in or if they're making mistakes and he's giving them a final warning.
The Norwich argument is a tad irrelevant though mate, doesn't mean to say thats the reason they were crap.

The Norwich argument is a tad irrelevant though mate, doesn't mean to say thats the reason they were crap.

Not really you can't say Ole needs to be out there for 90 minutes banging the drum for his players because some successful managers like to do it. For me a lot of the Klopp stuff is for show he's either trying to get the crowd up to lift his team or trying to intimidate his opponent or even the officials.

If you're playing a highly tactical pressing game where every second counts then you probably do need to do a lot of micro management Ole sends them out with a plan then expects them to implement it he gives the team a lot of freedom to work things out for themselves.

He's not trying to be the director in control of everything his team does he lets them get on with it.

I think on something like this it's not really something that makes a difference but it's something fans only focus on when the team is struggling when we were hammering everyone 3-0 he was still sitting on the bench watching his monitor.

Not really you can't say Ole needs to be out there for 90 minutes banging the drum for his players because some successful managers like to do it. For me a lot of the Klopp stuff is for show he's either trying to get the crowd up to lift his team or trying to intimidate his opponent or even the officials.

If you're playing a highly tactical pressing game where every second counts then you probably do need to do a lot of micro management Ole sends them out with a plan then expects them to implement it he gives the team a lot of freedom to work things out for themselves.

He's not trying to be the director in control of everything his team does he lets them get on with it.

I think on something like this it's not really something that makes a difference but it's something fans only focus on when the team is struggling when we were hammering everyone 3-0 he was still sitting on the bench watching his monitor.
Maybe when your hammering everyone 3-0 there isn't such a need to encourage or lift heads, a la Brandon Williams v West Ham, to me needed a kick up the arse, along with a few others at times.

I didn't mention anything about successful managers banging the drum for 90 minutes, I just think the West Ham game possibly warranted a little more.

Im not arguing with you mate, just my opinion.

I don't fork out for paid TV. Occasionally I might do the odd match on Now TV

I actually quite like the radio commentry anyway, especially in winter when I'm cooking a roast.

I actually quite like the radio commentry anyway, especially in winter when I'm cooking a roast.
Wish I didnt have to fork out for Sky and BT, costs me a couple of grand a month to show them in the bar !

do you have a bar? Two grand seems a lot, do you even get that back in beer sales?

Did your brother have any luck selling his gaff by the way

Yes mate, its about £1700 from memory, the bills were suspended for a while with Covid so I forget what it is exactly but its around that mark. Normal circumstances it definitely warrants having it mate yes, with the slow easing of restrictions we have been pretty quiet, even for the football.

and no he is still over there, he gave up trying to sell and has starting building additional features to try and get it sold, nightmare.

Yeah I remember it used to cost our football club about £1k a month to have it in the bar and that was just sky sports about 10 years ago.

Is the pub picking up as people get a bit more confidence or has it stayed pretty constant.

Picking up slowly but surely mate, going to be a long road back to what it was before but we’ll get there.

I can understand that if things are a bit tight money wise, outside of that I have to be watching.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back