Sideshow Bob

200px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png
V
220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Wednesday, 2nd January 2019
Premier League

St. James' Park
:00 GMT

Baily suspended so assume Jones will be in.

Maybe Valencia in for Young although Shaw pulled up in the Bournemouth game.

Rashford limped off and went straight down the tunnel my guess is Lukaku will start in place of him.

Sanchez maybe back on the bench will give us another option.

Be a different test we lost this fixture last year in a dreadful performance chance to put that right my guess is they’ll look to start quick then drop off playing direct to Rondon looking for set pieces but they’ll be happy to park the bus. Defensively they’re dreadful hopefully we can continue the run of early goals and get ahead as I don’t think Newcastle will put up much of a fight back.

DDG

Valencia Jones Lindelof Shaw

Herrera Matic Pogba

Lingard Lukaku Martial

Got to keep that pressure on those above us top 4 still a long way off but feeling a little bit closer with Arsenal dropping some points.

Team: De Gea, Valencia, Lindelof, Jones, Shaw, Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Martial.
Subs: Romero, Darmian, Young, Fred, Lingard, Sanchez, Lukaku.

The team is to be expected with Jones and Valencia coming in. Also Lingard has probably been the least impressive of the attacking guys in this little mini resurgence so only fair Mata gets a shot.

There was a fair amount of excitement as Chong had travelled with the squad but didn’t get a place on the bench unfortunately.

Am I the only one who thinks Valencia is absolutely useless? And he's a big reason why we are struggling more tonight!

I actually think the main reason though is Mata. I love him but he doesn't suit this team. He hasn't under 3 managers now. He's a #10 and we don't really play with one. He's just too slow.

Agreed. Valencia and Mata aren't helping as they have no legs. There is zero pressing from anyone

Agreed. Valencia and Mata aren't helping as they have no legs. There is zero pressing from anyone

Valencia is useless. He goes backwards all the time. His issues weren't a Jose thing, his issues are he's regressed for whatever reason. For a guy who used to be a flying winger he's so slow and tentative. He doesn't go past people, he can't pass and he can't cross.

Yep Valencia and Mata are not helping at all. Say what you like about Lingard but his movement causes defences problems. Think we need to get Sanchez on pretty early on as we’ve looked a little laboured. Maybe the guys are feeling it a little after a packed schedule and we haven’t changed the side much either.

Valencia looks a liability; shades of Neville against West Brom. He should be replaced at half time. Possibly Lingard for Mata too. His ability to create space has been missed.

Yeah it just doesn't feel like Valencia has bought into what ole wants from his fullbacks. Mata I am not sure whether his starting point is deeper than lingard when he plays or that he just isn't quick enough getting forward.

Yep Valencia and Mata are not helping at all. Say what you like about Lingard but his movement causes defences problems. Think we need to get Sanchez on pretty early on as we’ve looked a little laboured. Maybe the guys are feeling it a little after a packed schedule and we haven’t changed the side much either.
Hmm I'm not sure about Sanchez... He isn't the quickest and so far for us he's been awful. I'm all for giving everyone a chance under Ole but maybe not when it looks like tonight we need to inject pace. Lingard is really important at doing that and I'm a little disappointed Ole didn't go with a younger player on the bench that could bring that pace.

Valencia looks a liability; shades of Neville against West Brom. He should be replaced at half time. Possibly Lingard for Mata too. His ability to create space has been missed.
I have a friend who really rates Valencia but I just don't see it anymore.

Hmm I'm not sure about Sanchez... He isn't the quickest and so far for us he's been awful. I'm all for giving everyone a chance under Ole but maybe not when it looks like tonight we need to inject pace. Lingard is really important at doing that and I'm a little disappointed Ole didn't go with a younger player on the bench that could bring that pace.
Yeah I would prefer Lingard now thinking about it but I think he’ll get Sanchez on before.

Valencia’s goose is well and truly cooked. He looks a liability and speaking of liabilities.. Phil Jones looks err a little shaky.

Great goal that. Not the greatest of performances but still more cutting edge and creativity than any game under Jose.

Really? I think it's been a very Jose like performance, nothing like the last 3 games. I honestly thought we wouldn't score, just didn't like it would come.

United were decent in the first half and looked dangerous in spells, but didn't get the break of the ball in the attacking third. The touch, control and passing was sloppy in the second half which would indicate tiredness. The players did look tired.

The stats aren’t as turgid as they were under Jose, shots, possession etc. I’ll watch it on motd

It was a lot more static that it has been recently and there were a few howlers but it was still better football than we’d seen under Mourinho this season. Jones and Valencia just aren’t going to allow a side to do what we want to though.

Nice to see Ole throwing Lingard on at 2-0 to try and score more rather than doing a Jose and bring another defender or CDM on to shut up shop.

That kind of sums Jones up. He can make great tackles but they tend to be when he’s screwed up. Got to go in the summer for me.

His contract is up and for me the club should just let his contract run down. I know it means we get no fee for him but just let it happen. We need to offload him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back