Premier League 19/20: West Ham vs Man Utd

Yep we just aren’t doing the basics right, we have no real urgency and our passing and energy is poor. Even guys like AWB looked disheartened by the end, it’s like as soon as you enter this United team you get some sort of energy sap injection. The lack of energy is startling really.

I think most teams this season will go into games versus us and fancy it. If you end up with a front four of Pereira, Mata, James and Lingard then why would the opposition be scared? Yes Rashford got injured but it’s not like he was threatening either. Sure Pogba and Martial will make us better but it’s not like they’ve lit up the league either.

We will have some good days like the Chelsea game but we will have many horrific days like yesterday.

I think this is thelevel of our current squad.

Start a team with Young, Matic, Pereira, Mctominay, Mata

that's what you get. We need a few windows to build the squad. I think fans need to remember this and not expect everything right away.

That's probably the worst line up you an pick if everyone is fit obviously injuries forced his hand to an extent but that team was always going to struggle really we were looking to grind out a win with that XI.

Young is not a left back he tries his heart out but he can't play that position, midfield is to slow and predictable, Mata/Periera both do the same job put them together and you've basically got 2 players doing nothing, Rashford run himself well past his limit just out of frustration and is now injured.

You could see at the start of the season there's nothing in reserve a few injuries to key areas and we are screwed.

Arguably Shaw, Pogba & Martial are the 3 players we have no real replacement for in our squad losing all 3 at the same time is a disaster.

Teams know there's nothing to fear and this squad is probably going to end up somewhere around mid table if we keep getting injuries if everyone gets fit and stays fit then we'll probably be able to get our sh*t together and challenge for the top 4.

We lack goals and if the opposition produce some moments of quality like West Ham did yesterday we will struggle but 2 big moments both at 1-0 the Mata chance and the Maguire chance both should be goals if we get back in that game we probably don't lose maybe even win but we don't take the chances then get done by a worldie free kick.

This is a team that will live on fine margins we don't have the ability to blow teams away it's going to be another season of close games.

I think in the first two games of the season Martial showed he is our best number 9 by far. So I think when he’s back up there we will be instantly improved. Pogba has his bad moments but he’s far and away our best midfielder so it will make a huge difference. On paper our first XI isn’t too bad but take out guys like Martial and Pogba and we look average.

Which we know they won't. Pogba is up and down and Martial well he's even more inconsistent with more downs than ups.

Hard to argue against that but to be fair to Martial he started the season well before his injury but I agree he's still not active enough in games to be considered a top class number 9 but there were some good early signs but fitness is a problem for him he picks up a lot of niggling injuries during a season and with no backup we are left struggling.

It's easy to dog Pogba but he's expected to be super man every week in a midfield that is mid table quality there's only so much a man can do on his own.

It shows the scale of the task Utd I don't think it's a million miles away from turning but in the summer chances are Pogba is gone which means next summer need to buy potentially 4-5 top players 2-3 midfielders and 2 attackers. There's no margin for error we can't afford to make bad buys everything has to come off.

I mean the midfield and attack yesterday on paper have you ever seen such a toothless looking Utd team? I personally don't think Gomes or Chong are anywhere near ready for the premier league yet but I think there's a strong case that one of them should have gone into that starting line up for either Mata or Periera.

It's not something people want to hear but our form is not far off relegation form.

It shows the scale of the task Utd I don't think it's a million miles away from turning but in the summer chances are Pogba is gone which means next summer need to buy potentially 4-5 top players 2-3 midfielders and 2 attackers. There's no margin for error we can't afford to make bad buys everything has to come off.
We can try and be positive. The reality is we are a million miles away. We are potentially another CB away but we can debate that. We are two if not three midfielders away. We are a RW away and a really top striker. Plus are likely to lose Pogba.

Awful, Awful performance yet again.

Really is becoming tragic to watch, Mata has to score his chance, Rashford will never be a no.9 in a million years and Andreas Pereira - My god, he's awful.

Its going to be a long season it really is, we have to hope and pray that once the winter transfer window opens, we go and get some quality in to make some of these positions there own, as some of these boys give me the impression they arent up for it whatsoever.

We can try and be positive. The reality is we are a million miles away. We are potentially another CB away but we can debate that. We are two if not three midfielders away. We are a RW away and a really top striker. Plus are likely to lose Pogba.

It's small steps though but I do agree as one problem gets solved another arises I don't have much faith in Shaw at left back but that feels like a 2021 problem not a 2020 problem when it comes to sorting the squad.

In terms of 2020 if Pogba goes it's 2 starting quality centre mids required, 1 right sided attacker, 1 number 10 and 1 centre forward. If we're lucky Greenwood might fill one of those attacking spots but even then that's not going to mean we don't need to buy someone to cover him and those positions will be very expensive to fill.

It's small steps though but I do agree as one problem gets solved another arises I don't have much faith in Shaw at left back but that feels like a 2021 problem not a 2020 problem when it comes to sorting the squad.

In terms of 2020 if Pogba goes it's 2 starting quality centre mids required, 1 right sided attacker, 1 number 10 and 1 centre forward. If we're lucky Greenwood might fill one of those attacking spots but even then that's not going to mean we don't need to buy someone to cover him and those positions will be very expensive to fill.
Small steps? I don't consider that we have made small steps at all. Yes we added 3 young quality players but we lost Lukaku. Most of the dead wood is still here, in fact we cleared out Smalling when actually he should have stayed over Rojo and Jones who incredibly are still here. Anyone trying to take positives from this situation is kidding themselves.

The small steps are the 3 players we gave brought in that gave had a positive impact on the team. All the stuff we are talking about should have been done over tbe last few transfer windows. I don't see any other option at the moment but suck it up and give ole a bit of time. Of course there are no guarantees but we really have to let somebody rebuild this team

The small steps are the 3 players we gave brought in that gave had a positive impact on the team. All the stuff we are talking about should have been done over tbe last few transfer windows. I don't see any other option at the moment but suck it up and give ole a bit of time. Of course there are no guarantees but we really have to let somebody rebuild this team

Yeah this summers buying was basically what Mourinho wanted the summer before he wanted Maguire & Perisic he also wanted a first team ready right back but agreed to take Dalot.

I guess the fingers pointing at the manager really are is he picking the right players in the right system. He can only really work with what he has to chose from which isn't much and I don't get any vibe that he's losing the players and that they're downing tools they just simply aren't good enough.

So you come to the final part what does a Solskjear team play like? Can we see a style developing with Klopp and Poch when they took over you could see the style of play straight away the teams weren't good at it but you could see the plan and as they played more they got better at it. At Utd I'm not seeing that I don't really see who Ole is trying to build and what we are practising during the week it feels like we've just gone back to the playing style of the previous manager. I think he's become pragmatic and he's just trying to get results we still look like a bunch of strangers on a football pitch.

That's my only major gripe with Ole on the pitch I can't see what the long term plan for how this team will play is.

in fact we cleared out Smalling when actually he should have stayed over Rojo and Jones who incredibly are still here. Anyone trying to take positives from this situation is kidding themselves.

All 3 are dead wood and need to go, it doesn't matter what order the offers come in, if the right offer arrives they go.

I'm positive about the long term future. I can see the basis of a plan. And I can see it's a good couple of seasons work.

Like I said on other threads, at least 5 of those players who started yesterday are not top 4 players. That is the level our squad has been allowed to get to over 7 years - regardless of money spent.

The three players brought in this summer, do look capable top 4 players. That is a move forward. We just need more of the same over the next few windows.

Smalling went because a decent loan offer came in we get £3m and Roma pay his wages for 12 months and if he does well we might then be able to sell him.

Rojo stayed because they didn't want to loan to another PL club who potentially were competing with us in the league and Everton were not prepared to buy. No offers came from European clubs. To be honest if he does well in Europa group games we might be able to sell him in January.

Jones no offers came period but you have to question the logic of giving him a new contract last season when we were already over stocked in defence and we always planned to bring 1 more in.

Hopefully in 12 months time all 3 of these guys have been sold to other clubs.

I'm positive about the long term future. I can see the basis of a plan. And I can see it's a good couple of seasons work.
Well I'm glad you can because I can't. I see a team void of talent and creativity. A team that is playing dire football and who are going backwards.

It's not always easy but sometimes you gave to go backwards to go forwards. I am still not sure about ole, I thought it was senseless to appoint him when we did, but now he is there they have to back him over a couple of transfer windows with a plan going forward

It's not always easy but sometimes you gave to go backwards to go forwards. I am still not sure about ole, I thought it was senseless to appoint him when we did, but now he is there they have to back him over a couple of transfer windows with a plan going forward
I get that managers deserve time but not if they are the wrong man. Ole is the wrong man. He got the job based on a feel good factor. Giving him the job after those results was knee jerk. The issues we are seeing now are the issues we saw last year and the issues we all feared. What we are seeing isn't a surprise we expected this.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back