Pre Season Tour 2018/19

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know everyone is at it now but you have to wonder about the logic of these tours in summers where there’s international football.

At least with an American tour we can setup base somewhere between games as facilities over there are fantastic.

They've announced a friendly with Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on Sunday 5th August.

No community shield this year so this will be our final pre season game before the new season starts.

What an experience it will be for those young lads to go and it will be a great chance for them to be right in view of Jose.

For anyone who hasn’t clicked the link, the rumours are that RoShaun Williams, Garner, Hamilton, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are the youngsters rumoured to be going.

They are definitely the most talented youngsters we have so will be great to see how they do.

I read earlier Pogba will be missing for our first league match due to world cup. Is that true? if so does that mean no Lukaku, Fellaini, Rashford or Lingard too?

can't be true can it?

I doubt anyone will be officially ruled out but assuming they are all given the full 3 weeks off then they'll be back in training on Monday 6th August which is only a week before the season kicks off so I think it's unlikely that any would feature in the first round of games especially with our first game being moved forward to the Friday night.

The modern player doesn't really pile on the pounds like the old boys did they tend to look after themselves while they're on holiday resting so I guess it will depend on how quickly they get back into the swing of things when they come back.

Great opportunity for the youngsters to impress the manager and spend some time around the first team. I'm not sure why they bother with these tours in world cup years as so many players miss them that it's not really great for the fans out there.

I read earlier Pogba will be missing for our first league match due to world cup. Is that true? if so does that mean no Lukaku, Fellaini, Rashford or Lingard too?

can't be true can it?

Think each player will be judged individually, if it's felt they need more time then so be it. Rashford and Jones have hardly played, Fellaini hasn't played that much either and i'd expect them to be back a bit sooner than others still in the competition. Young, Lingard, Pogba and Lukaku have played a lot on their way to the semis and even if they're on the losing team in the semis they might play 3rd/4th place play off.

Just watched United in training on MUTV. Mason Greenwood even at 16 looks well at home physically, he was quite big last season for his age but has maybe grown again. Really hope he's got a good head on and avoids injuries.

I'm not sure why they bother with these tours in world cup years as so many players miss them that it's not really great for the fans out there.

I imagine there is a big demand / contractual obligations for us to do a tour in America with our links to Chevrolet.

Everything I have seen with mason tells me he is a very level headed lad. Doesn't react to being fouled. Seems very mature. Really like the look of him.

Greenwood just signed off Darmian's United exit...

I imagine there is a big demand / contractual obligations for us to do a tour in America with our links to Chevrolet.

I think it’s just sponsors in general these tours are big business for the private companies that organise and market them.

I think Mourinho has said he likes going to America as you get the good weather but also top class facilities as they often use college or NFL setups while they’re out there and they try to limit the travel as much as possible.

That said if players and managers want to earn £5,10,15m per year in salary then this is what you’ve got to do to pay the bills and it’s the same for everyone.

I just think for the paying customer in America they get ripped off by the organisers of these games who charged $100 plus to watch a B team friendly in World Cup years.

Confirmed United squad members

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Joel Pereira, Lee Grant

Defenders: Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Diogo Dalot, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, RoShaun Williams, Chris Smalling, Eric Bailly, Axel Tuanzebe, Demetri Mitchell, Luke Shaw

Midfielders: James Garner, Ander Herrera, Andreas Pereira, Scott McTominay, Ethan Hamilton

Forwards: Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Juan Mata, Anthony Martial, Mason Greenwood, Joshua Bohui

I bet the Americans are wetting themselves with excitement. That said I am looking forward to seeing a couple of the youngsters play

Think I saw something saying he's meeting up late for some reason not heard anything official yet though.

He was spotted out in Chester yesterday afternoon with friends.

Seems strange though.

Sanchez is being given extra time off as he had no break last season or something. Going to join up with them in a week or so.

Think it was 3 summers in a row he had international tournaments due to world cup and copa america, makes sense I guess but you'd hope that he was raring to go and wanted to get amongst the squad to make sure he's firing from the start. I'm sure they could've held him back from a few games and managed his training.

no it's definitely a rest thing, Jose wants him fully up and runing for the new season.

although I just read it could be visa issues.

So who knows, sounds like all the stories are just people guessing.

Bloody Trump and his immigration policy.

Think Rojo had similar problems a few years back as he was facing trial and couldn't renew his passport.

Hoped Darmian wouldd stay in Manchester with pending transfer. Interested to see what happens with World Cup players. Matic, Rojo and De Gea maybe join up with squad middle/end of next week for the bigger games.

Group stages ended 28th June so my guess is those who were knocked out in the group stage will join the squad next week, then those who went out in second round/quarters the following week but everyone was given 3 weeks off so they might come back in dribs and drabs.

I don’t usually care for pre-season games but may take a look at these ones, it’s so refreshing to see all the youngsters in there and this is a massive opportunity for them to impress.

I am most interested in seeing Chong, Greenwood and Garner who are probably the three most talented youngsters we have right now. Also will be good to see Dalot in action.

I think they're more likely to impress the manager in training than on the pitch because he'll be looking at their attitude rather than performance if he sees that they listen and follow instruction and have the type of personality he likes then I think that's what will stick in his memory rather than maybe a mazy dribble or a top corner screamer.

Spending 2 weeks training once or twice a day in front of the first team coach is a fantastic opportunity for these kids as he will see what they're really like and I think he showed with McTominay if you can make the right impression you can get a shot.

Programme on MUTV at 6 live from training. Watched last nights session, it looked quite light but they said it was a double session today and likely to be a bit more intense.

MUTV mentioned a Mourinho press conference tomorrow at 5 I think. Listings suggests this will be shown on MUTV at 8.

1-1 against Club America. Apparently Chong was the highlight after coming off the bench, as he set up the equaliser. Also got lots of praise from Jose so good start for him.

1-1 against Club America. Apparently Chong was the highlight after coming off the bench, as he set up the equaliser. Also got lots of praise from Jose so good start for him.

Good start indeed but... Don't overlook Jose saying he's not physically big enough yet. Don't expect him to get any time once the season kicks off unless we get injuries.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back