Pre-match Press Conference: Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur 2018/19

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Defensive , moody , game playing and lacking in integrity. He looks like a man who knows things aren’t right but wants to project the idea that the press are persecuting him. He wants to perpetuate the narrative of Jose the victim. If only the press weren’t so pessimistic. If only he had more money. If only his players didn’t make big mistakes. If only....if only...if only.....but he never looks at his own shortcomings or takes responsibility for some his own crappy negative tactics.

Do people generally look at their own short comings? Don’t we see things as us trying our hardest and the world is against us? Isn’t that a natural human way of behaving?

The Brighton match was awful not through tactics, it was too many poor performances, not being able to complete a pass

I have to say I don't really think the press conference was that bad. Of course we would like him to have been a bit more upbeat but I just don't think that is in his DNA. My issue is more on the pitch than in the press room.

Do people generally look at their own short comings? Don’t we see things as us trying our hardest and the world is against us? Isn’t that a natural human way of behaving?
Yes it’s natural but that doesn’t make it effective or rational. This is why in sport those people who are prepared to seriously look in the mirror have a better chance of improving and excelling. It doesnt come easy and it’s emotionally challenging , but it’s needed to stay at the top and be the best. It’s not impossible and it becomes increasingly important when things are not going well.

Jose is paid millions so I expect him to look in the mirror and ask himself whether he is also part of the problem instead of trying to protect his own vane ego. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

He really doesn’t do anything wrong in this press conference you’re just seeing things that aren’t there.

He’s got the hump but what’s new I think if he suddenly turned up all smiley and happy clappy like Klopp everyone would say he’s had some sort of mental breakdown.

It feels like he’s either been told or decided there’s no point talking about players publically because of the attention it brings and the question he was short on had nothing to do with the Spurs match. He’s not going to speak on behalf of his players so he’s not saying anything about Pogba’s attitude.

It's quite interesting reading all this stuff, most people from what I can see are a bit negative about Jose and @IDFD is his only real supporter. I wonder if this mirrors what the majority of supporters think too?

I get people not being a supporter of him. I don’t get the unneeded attacks when he’s done nothing wrong.

People will be analysing the speed at which he walks out of the tunnel at this rate.

@IDFD Jose's done nothing wrong?? His football has been damn boring and he's created a lot of negativity.

@Mr C Are the owners responsible for Jose's style and brand of football?

He really doesn’t do anything wrong in this press conference you’re just seeing things that aren’t there.
You only have to look at his face to see he's being passive -aggressive. He gives short closed answers and that stare. OMG tell me you can't see that? He puts words in other people's mouths claiming they are "pessimistic" when all they are doing is asking valid questions. He turns up early so that some people miss the conference. I could go on. Maybe you are just not looking hard enough.

Think he’s just trying to prove he’s in control of these press conferences if they’re going to create a massive storm out of anything he says instead he’ll just say nothing at all and let them moan about that instead.

@IDFD Jose's done nothing wrong?? His football has been damn boring and he's created a lot of negativity.

I was talking about in the context of this interview he’s being had a go at when there’s is nothing in it.

Yes they are, they should have bought the defenders that are good enough to let our attacking players more freedom, it doesn’t matter we bought 2 CB last year. None of our back 4 are getting anywhere near our English or foreign rivals teams.

We are going to get exactly the same football as last year because our back 4 are terrible and can’t be left without protection.

Yes they are, they should have bought the defenders that are good enough to let our attacking players more freedom, it doesn’t matter we bought 2 CB last year. None of our back 4 are getting anywhere near our English or foreign rivals teams.

We are going to get exactly the same football as last year because our back 4 are terrible and can’t be left without protection.

There is some truth to that but Mourinho has never let his full backs both attack at the same time and has always like to protect his centre backs and likes playing counter attack.

The defence protection argument I think carries weight for big games but we are absolutely clueless and lacking plans when we come up against teams who want us to have the ball.

We need to see that Jose magic again the guy who springs a game plan that exposes the oppositions weakness that others hadn’t spotted that’s why he was considered one of the best but doesn’t feel like we see those plans as often as we’d like.

Paolo Ferreira and Ashley Cole wernt the most defensive of full backs both very good going forwards but also both very good at getting back and doing the job defensively. Danilo Carvajal and Marcelo would get away with people thinking theyre wingers if they wanted but again they have the legs and pace to make up for getting caught out of position. We don’t have that luxury in our full backs. Maybe we could with Shaw and Dalot fit.

Think he’s just trying to prove he’s in control of these press conferences if they’re going to create a massive storm out of anything he says instead he’ll just say nothing at all and let them moan about that instead.

Yes he’s a control freak.

Don’t remember Ferreira being that attacking most of the attacking was by Cole or in his second spell Ivanovic with Azpilecueta staying back he’s always been happy to let one go but the other normally stays he rarely risks allowing both his full backs to play high up the pitch. Didn’t he play Gallas a lot at RB in his first season?

At Madrid he had Arbeloa and Coentreo as his more defensive options in bigger games one of these often came in.

I think quite a bit of the problem has been a lack of quality at full back that give you quality in the final 1/3. Valencia has been a declining force, Young a willing trier but in his 30s can’t get up and down for 90 mins, Darmian not known for attacking quality & Shaw injuries/form/discipline whatever has been hard work for him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back