Potential Realistic Summer Transfers ?

Ben Townsend

Who do we think could potentially be coming to Old Trafford during the summer window ?

For me, we need an absolute minimum of two players to come in, a CB to play alongside Lindelof and a right sided attacker to bolster up to threat on our weaker side.

I think Ole will have the draw of the young up and coming talent e.g. Sancho, Wan Bissaka etc - as opposed to the players who are more established in their later 20s, for me this works for us going forward as we have all seen that sometimes the huge names at the time in the likes of Sanchez just doesn't work out. Obviously there is a risk factor to bringing in younger players for still a lot of money but thats what I would prefer to see.

But to reiterate, we need a right sided attacker and a CB - who they might be ..... Who knows ?

Although I would want a CB I am still of a mind that midfield and right back are more pressing. Definitely agree about right flank though

It depends who goes too, if Pogba does go to Madrid then that is a real problem

Assuming we only lose players we want to:

I'd go Wan Bissaka, Sancho or Hudson Odoi, Varane and Kante. There are rumours Kroos wants to leave, but I'd question his hunger.

I think the right side is absolutely critical. Personally I would go for Wan-Bissaka as I think he’s going to be a star. And I would actually bring in two right sided attackers if we let Mata and Sanchez go. Bergwijn and Sancho come to mind for that. Then as Mr C said there has been rumours of Kroos wanting to leave and I would jump at that chance for sure.

Centre back probably needs strengthening but I think the right side and midfield are areas we have to get right this summer.

It's hard to say what is realistic in terms of the players we will get because we get linked to so many players but after last summer surely they have to back the new manager every new manager post Fergie was well backed.

I think in attack they will try to make the most of what they have as apart from Mata I don't see anyone leaving because the wages they're on make them hard to shift.

Midfield assuming Herrera signs a new deal I think will stay the same but I think we need an alternative to Matic.

Defence is where we've got to see a shake up Darmian and Valencia seem to be out the door as contracts expire, Rojo looks like he'll be leaving, I think Bailly or Jones also need to go because of the injuries and to create space for another centre back plus we need to buy a right back. Young is to old to provide the constant overlap and Dalot I don't think is ready we need someone reliable to come in.

If I was picking my 4 players and really looking to build something for next season

RB ~ Wan Bissaka 50m
CB ~ Alderwiereld 30m
CM ~ Rice 50m
RW ~ Sancho. 100m

I think locking down some top English talent is vital but it would be very costly those 4 would cost you around £230m to sign so you'd need to raise some decent money from sales for the club to be able to do that and right now I don't see how they do that. Sancho for me would be the luxury I think if we got the other 3 in I'd be very happy as I think that would improve the defence which has been the major problem this season.

For what it's worth I don't think we will sign a right back because they'll try and squeeze one more year from Young to wait for Dalot.

Rice for £50m? He’s looked perfectly solid so far but I feel there is much better out there for £50-60m. He does the simple things well but will he be anymore than a tidy midfielder? Obviously no one knows but he has to do a little more for West Ham to convince me that we should spend that money on him.

Rice for £50m? He’s looked perfectly solid so far but I feel there is much better out there for £50-60m. He does the simple things well but will he be anymore than a tidy midfielder? Obviously no one knows but he has to do a little more for West Ham to convince me that we should spend that money on him.

Young England nternational playing regularly at a PL side isn’t going to be cheap.

I have no idea how to value players anymore Leicester apparently want 70m for Maguire

Right back, right wing and midfielder should be priority. I previously wanted a midfielder to replace Matic, but would now prefer a creative midfielder for the right side of the midfield three, who can help Pogba. A Herrera type midfielder is unnecessary for most games, especially at Old Trafford. I don’t think the club should sign a centre back unless it’s Varane.

I pretty much agree with Bob on this. If a world class centre back is available then yes try to get him but I think other positions are more pressing

We need a RB, CB, CM and RW. All of those are absolutely essential to get us back up there. All need to be addressed in some way. No excuses.

Matic is done - slows the play down persistently and legs are gone.
His goose has been well and truly cooked for a while now. Said it last season and have said it again this. He was brilliant for Chelsea but there is a reason why they let him go. Still an honest professional and can still have some good games but we need to bring in guys with more energy and mobility and I think that’s what Ole will want too.

Matic is done - slows the play down persistently and legs are gone.

Think his days as a 50 games a season starter are over but think he can offer the squad a lot if used correctly at his best he’s still a very good player but when he stinks he really stinks and I think at home to weaker teams Utd need a better passer of the ball

The fact De Ligt has turned us down and we are going for Maguire really shows where we're at and how hard it's going to be for us.

United just aren't a draw any more. I fear some real sub standard signings and a good few years in the doldrums.

It feels like it will be like this for a while until a new set of owners come in and shake it all up.

City Liverpool and Spurs will all be above us for players, and possibly Chelsea too with CL. Then you have Madrid, Barca, Munich, PSG.

A lot of reds that I have spoken too seem optimistic about the new faces that will come in this summer, but I cant help but have this horrible feeling that were going to sign some right crap, whether they be too old or just signing the obvious Man United shirt selling battle axes.

Were going to be held to ransom as every selling team knows how much we are in need of players, just take Fred as main example ! £50 million for that, my god we had our strides pulled down there didn't we ?!

My guess right now is that nothing will really change too much, until the inevitable happens, which is ridiculously rich Saudi's buy the club and pump a s**t load of money in and we will go out and spend millions upon millions, whether it be a footballing man behind the buys or not.

For now we sit in hope that come the summer we go out and buy some real potential talent and let them have a good go next year.

Fred and Sanchez we bought because City wanted them. Typical of our recent transfer business.

I'd be happy wih Rice, I really wanted us to get Sancho but now that ship has sailed. I also thought De Ligt, but again no. We just aren't that attractive. We should be able to get players from West Ham, but the top talent just wont come to us at the moment.

It's going to be a tough few years. I hope Ole has a stragegy that potential signings can see for the next window. Otherwise it could be another waste of time and money.

He is under huge pressure to put a stamp on this team. If it carries on like the last few weeks next season we are in real trouble. No one is expecting us to win every game, or to challenge for the title, but we need top 4 and we need a style, a vision.

The fact De Ligt has turned us down and we are going for Maguire really shows where we're at and how hard it's going to be for us.

United just aren't a draw any more. I fear some real sub standard signings and a good few years in the doldrums.

It feels like it will be like this for a while until a new set of owners come in and shake it all up.

City Liverpool and Spurs will all be above us for players, and possibly Chelsea too with CL. Then you have Madrid, Barca, Munich, PSG.

Was talking to someone about this last night Maguire made sense as a signing when he was leaving Hull after relegation £15m could have been a sensible replacement for Jones because he is a better player plus you can rely on him to stay fit and ticks all the home grown player boxes. Buying him for £80m makes no sense especially when you told the previous manager he couldn't have him last summer.

If Maguire is the only player our scouts can find then they want sacking there must be an equally talented player somewhere in Europe at a fraction of that price.

Utd will always attract players but the key is attracting them for the right reason attracting the very best might be harder now players like De Ligt can pick any club he wants even in our prime we struggled to get these players to pick us over Madrid or Barca see Benzema or Ronaldinho.

What we need to do is start harvesting the talent on our own door step and buying smart from abroad City/Liverpool's model is nothing new they've just copied to some extent what we were doing. Do your homework on a player on and off the pitch.

If we spend £80m on Maguire then I’m done!

I agree with jsp if our scouts haven’t located any cheaper alternatives to Maguire then they need getting rid of! Maguire is decent but sheesh I think I would rather stick with Tuanzebe and see how he progresses.

Each summer is obviously important but this one is crucial, we cannot mess this one up. We need to get a DOF, clear out the uncommitted players and identify and bring in the right players.

It’s not even about big names anymore, Liverpool have shown what a good team can get you. Their midfield has Milner and Henderson in it yet they are dynamite! We need the right guys who leave their egos at the door and play like a team instead of a bunch of individuals.

If we spend £80m on Maguire then I’m done!

Agreed! And I felt exactly the same way about it last summer. £80m on Maguire really?

I don't even know who this team should target anymore. Young players who we can develop I think because buying proven players hasn't worked.

Agreed! And I felt exactly the same way about it last summer. £80m on Maguire really?

I don't even know who this team should target anymore. Young players who we can develop I think because buying proven players hasn't worked.

I think it needs a mix it needs 2 or 3 really good senior pro's who've been and done it to set the standards that clearly aren't there then a group of younger players to learn from them. No idea where you get these guys from without attracting mercenaries who just want the pay day. The one who to me makes sense is Alderwiereld be costly on wages but seems to be a good pro but why the hell would he leave spurs to come here apart from money.

£80m for Maguire is a stupid price you can easily find similar quality players for less than half that price by doing some proper scouting.

I have an awful feeling about this summer, I believe this summer will be pivotal for utd and will forge the next 5 years of our club. And I am concerned.

We see all the normal rumours, De Ligt, Griezmann,Rabiot, Dybala,Bale,Koulibaly,Coutinho.

But the reality is we are getting players like James. There is talk of keeping all our CB's for one more chance, not much talk of a RB.

The sale of Lukaku seems likely, and Pogba. Now if Pogba goes and we don't replace him with quality, then it will be even more difficult to attract the right sort of player. I'm all for buying young british talent like James, Rice, etc, but we do need some real quality.

I fear this could be a very disappointing window that could reverberate for many years.

What is everyones general thoughts on the transfer situation at united. Are we gererally confident, or a little concerned. Do we think if we got Poch and not Ole it would be easier?

Can’t see why Poch would make the transfer window easier than Ole?

I’m concerned for the clubs future as we appear to have little direction. We don’t have a director of football in place. The backroom staff has changed in the last 6 months. The higher ups are useless at making football decisions and we’ve got no champions league football to entice people with.

However whenever we’ve finished outside of the top 4 the club have remedied the situation. It’s when we finish inside the top 4 we have a poor summer.

There’s a lot of talk of Wan Bissake at RB. Tuanzebe should probably get a chance next season ahead of the dross we have at CB. James is a signing for the future and the sort of signing we’d make all the time back in the day. £15m isn’t a big fee now days. It’s akin to A £5m signing 10 years ago.

what I mant by Poch, was a manager with more experience, therefore any potential signing would know what sort of football they would be playing.

I think it’s to early to call the fact we have managerial certainty gives us an advantage over some clubs.

Any player Utd talk to over the next few weeks knows this is a rebuilding process you aren’t coming here on the promise of winning the league or champions league next year you need to sign up to the project and the club need to be firm and walk away from players demanding silly money. There’s no Utd tax players coming here need to accept we pay what everyone else pays not 10-20% above.

If that means ruling out certain players then so be it.

This summer is as much about outs than ins maybe even more important we must clear the decks first those happy cashing cheques and not playing need forced out even frozen out like they did to Valdes and Schweni.

A few new faces will arrive but no CL will make attracting some of those players harder players are all away on internationals currently my guess is in 2-3 weeks things will really start moving in the market.

But the reality is we are getting players like James. There is talk of keeping all our CB's for one more chance, not much talk of a RB.
My God if they keep these CBs for another chance I think I'll walk away from football and not look back. We've heard this so many times. Other than Lindelof this lot are nowhere near good enough.

My God if they keep these CBs for another chance I think I'll walk away from football and not look back. We've heard this so many times. Other than Lindelof this lot are nowhere near good enough.

There was a list of 13 players mostly academy players who Ole apparently wants out in the paper the other day not a single cb on it. The only defenders were Valencia and Darmian a player I forget about at least 3 times a season. How the hell is he still here where’s your motivation man go and play football.

Keeper has been player of the year 4 out of 6 our worst defensive performance in the PL era, 1 clean sheet at home all season and yet we seem to be going with the same players again.

I’m not even that convinced by Lindelof prepared to give him some benefit of the doubt but he’s been at the heart of that mess all season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back