Who would you like to be the next manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

• Carlo Ancelotti

• Laurent Blanc

• Antonio Conte

• Ryan Giggs

• Pep Guardiola

• Jose Mourinho

• Gary Neville

• Mauricio Pochettino

• Diego Simeone

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

We touched on this in the 'How long should Van Gaal get?' thread.

Who would you like to be the next manager if the club decide to replace Van Gaal?

Massimiliano Allegri
Carlo Ancelotti
Laurent Blanc
Antonio Conte
Ryan Giggs
Pep Guardiola
Jose Mourinho
Gary Neville
Mauricio Pochettino
Diego Simeone
Other

Pocchetino excites me. But would still go with van gaal. I think he is building something good and we will be in for a better performances.

Not me. He has just had a very poor end to his term. Not sure if he would be looking to get back to managing such a big club so soon.

I'm not keen on Mourinho, must say, doesn't fit the job in my opinion. Was good option after Fergie to continue success but need someone to continue rebuilding job. Not sure Mourinho will do that and could be a complete disaster.

Given Pep is going to City, Carlo to Munich, Jose wouldn't be the worst option and leaves few other candidates.

Mourinho would normally be a big no, for me, but he does appear to be the best option available. He's not the same manager of a few years ago, hopefully United will bring the best out of him if he is appointed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Who would take Giggs if we were guaranteed to get Guardiola in the summer?

I've said Pep is the one you have to consider as man utd. Giggs over Mou because of Mou's antics, destructive tactics, ignoring of youth and he leaves scorched earth. In the end with any coach there are doubts. Can Pep build a team because he has always inherited a world-class squad? Does possession based football ever work in the Premier League?

If we go for a proven manager it can only be Pep for me. I have seen Pochettino mentioned, not a bad manager as it seems...

I would be happy with Pochettino. The club would be criticised for taking the riskier option if has a slow start/proves to be a failure though.

Who would take Giggs if we were guaranteed to get Guardiola in the summer?

Tough question, it hasn't shown in performances on the pitch but I think Van Gaal has done a good job in rebuilding the side and built some very good foundations but looks as though he's taken us as far as he can. Injuries haven't helped at all but even when fit the players play below their level under Van Gaal. I think Guardiola would be the best man to build on the foundations laid by Van Gaal. Saying this though, complete unknown as to where Giggs would leave it for Guardiola, would we still look to bring in players next month? and who would be in charge of who to bring in? This is where maybe it's time to look at bringing in a director of football to do the football side of the job that Woodward seems to be struggling with.

Mourinho could take us on too though. Takes sides up a level or 2 when he takes over. His instant availability means it's a safer option too.

Also depends if we want to continue with the possession style Van Gaal has brought in or not. Neither manager truly represent want fans talk about being the United way. Fergie didn't even play the "United way" in latter years.

Haven't seen a lot of simeone. But have heard comparison to Sam allardyce. His style of football that is. Is there any truth in this comparison?

Hope not, I'd rather have Pochettino. I couldn't see him leaving before the end of the season.

I think he will end up at Chelsea and Pep at City.

Simeone is even more defensive than mou and LVG! His Game is all about defending and then score from set pieces.

Man United targeting Mauricio Pochettino

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is high on Manchester United’s wanted list.

The highly-rated Argentinian impressed the United hierarchy with his calmness, dignity and coaching ability even before he joined Spurs 18 months ago.

And the way he has guided the Londoners into Premier League title contention with a minimum of fuss has only added to his reputation inside Old Trafford with Louis van Gaal’s future far from assured.

And as well as former Southampton gaffer Pochettino, Paris Saint-Germain boss and former Old Trafford star Laurent Blanc has also emerged as a viable target next summer.

United will have to act fast, however, with Blanc in talks with PSG over a new contract.

I'm sure Mendes would love to bring both Gomes and Mourinho but I don't see it.

Results and performances have been poor for some time now and Mourinho has been available for over a month. Yet so far there has been no suggestion that the board are done with LVG... And as time passes the chances are that Mourinho will find another opportunity.

As sure as I am that Mourinho would bring success back to the club, I'm just as sure that the board aren't interested. They've had chances before and not taken them. He just doesn't seem to fit the long term vision of the club... Though with every passing week I fear we lose more of that vision.

Article from earlier in the month states Mourinho was not interested in taking over Madrid in midseason and would prefer to wait until the summer for United.

Rafa BenĂ­tez, destituido como entrenador del Real Madrid

Victor was dismissed in November. A Mourinho's Madrid contacted him the same week dismissed the Chelsea before Christmas, and as an intermediary who participated in the talks, said it was not interested in taking over the team in midseason and that in any case, he preferred to wait for the call from Manchester United in the summer. According to a manager consulted, Florentino Perez allowed advised by many people who believe Mourinho, but he has always been skeptical about the effectiveness of their return sport in these circumstances. The President recalled that the Portuguese coach does not enjoy the backing of an important group of players: Pepe, Cristiano, Ramos Carvajal, Marcelo and Benzema not want to work with him.

Who should the club appoint if Mourinho is unavailable (until the summer) and Giggs doesn't want to be the interim manager?

ha didn't see this before I posted in the other thread

Don't think it'll happen but what would we think of Warren Joyce becoming an interim manager if Van Gaal was to go? seen the MEN suggest he would be a more worthy choice than Giggs as he's the Reserves manager, which Guardiola and Zidane also were before taking charge of Barca and Real. Of course Giggs might not want the interim job again (if rumours are true that could well be the case), so Joyce would probably be next in line so not entirely out of the question.

I'd like to Joyce given a go if we needed someone on an interim basis. Plays the United way. Youth.

Out of the 5 names that get most mentions to replace Van Gaal (Pep, Mou, Giggs, Poch, Simeone), only Giggs and Poch I think really fit as to how we want football to be played, one has no experience and I can't see Pochettino really wanting to leave a quite exciting young team. Pep and Mou are the only 2 of the 5 that have the pedigree. Simeone has neither for my money.

I don't think you need to be particularly knowledgeable to know he is a decent fit, but not sure why he would come.

It's difficult for us to get him. But if we can we should go all out for him. He is young and dynamic.

It all comes back I think to where do the club want to head?

If they want to try and return success then Jose is the man. He's done it against Pep before and unlike Pep he's done it in the Premier League. But we know the issues that come with Jose. And we know it's probably just for 2/3 years.

I can quite believe though that he didn't want to take a job mid season be that with us or Real.

If you want to bring back that attacking football with an emphasis on youth then Poch or Giggs look like the way to go. The job Poch is doing right now and doing so whilst promoting youth is great. But we know dealing with Levy is a nightmare. Plus Spurs may have champions league football whereas we may not.

So the next month really will be key now in determining which direction the board want to take the club. They've been around a while so they have been long term. But too long without success and the money may dry up. Then what happens?

I'm not sure that's true... Maybe I'm being naive but I don't see the club negotiating with any manager until they've decided LVG isn't the man.

And they won't reach that point until he's failed to make the top 4. Until that point he will continue in charge and we shall have to worry that we shall be left behind under LVG.

I've read that El Confidencial are quite accurate. Van Gaal may have decided to retire at the end of the season, the talk of him offering his resignation after Southampton was denied but talk of him doing so in December was not.

There's talk of meetings with Mourinho's reps and stuff, just like there was when Moyes was still in a job and there were rumours of meetings with Van Gaal. I wouldn't be surprised if Van Gaal has agreed to step down in the summer or at least been told that he'll be replaced in the summer. Hope so in any case, not a fan of doing things behind manager's backs like it seemed with Moyes.

Well it seems the latest is that as per the article above, United have spoken with Jose's representatives.

BBC can't report that if there's no actual evidence so it seems there's real traction to this story.

I can see LVG stepping down this summer for sure. He's a proud man and this season so far has been a failure for him. Maybe at his age and so close to retirement anyway he's decided enough is enough? And that he doesn't want all the rubbish that comes with being a united boss?

He's got a good relationship with Jose as well hasn't he? So maybe he's decided that with Jose available it's right for everyone and he's helped pick his successor.

I'm still unsure it'll happen. But if it does then Jose needs to change. He needs to embrace our traditions as a club that plays attacking football. He needs to stop with all the antics that's plagued his career and just deliver success. Can he stay 5+ years? Of course he can! Will he? Probably not. Those days are gone. Pep probably won't stay past his current contract. But Jose was keen on building a dynasty after Fergie so maybe the time is right for him.

Pretty sure it will happen now to be honest and think it's already been mutually agreed that Van Gaal will step down in the summer. Something happened over that Xmas period whether it's what the media say or something else, given the run of bad results we had in that period i'd be more surprised if there weren't talks (between board members, between Woodward and Van Gaal and between Van Gaal and players) about where we were heading.

It would make sense that discussions were held between the club and LVG over Xmas.

The results were awful, the performances were even worse and he seemed a beaten man.

The amount of rumours that were coming out you have to believe that there was some truth to it... There's no smoke without fire and all that! For the sake of the club I hope things are afoot because they can't continue with LVG. Even if we finish the season really well he's still not the right man.

Plenty of chatter in the media that Mourinho to United in the summer is a 'done deal'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back