Poll: How long should Van Gaal get?

How long should Van Gaal get?

• We're four points off the leaders - why has this poll been created?

• He's rebuilding the team and slowly getting things right. I want him to stay.

• I want to judge him at the end of the season.

• The football is awful. Sack him now.

• The football is awful, but there is no one availble to replace him.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love Pep but as I say it seems out of the question. As for Mourinho he'd purely be a short term fix. It's clear a rebuilding job is needed at United so it will take time but I'd like a coach who'd place faith in youth and encourage attacking football. There doesn't seem many out there but I wouldn't be averse to Giggs being given a shot. If he wasn't matching up to Pep or Ranieri or whoever initially I wouldn't mind as long as we were good on the eye and were building towards the future with a younger core.

I feel Giggs having come through the system here at United would understand these things and wouldn't be afraid to give young guys a chance to build towards the next great United side... We have a lot of big young talents on the cusp of coming through over the next few years and they may well form the core of the United side for years to come if given the chance. The only successful sides over a long period traditionally have had a core from within if you consider Barca, United, Ajax, Milan in years gone by.

Mourinho coming in with an open cheque book may allow us to compete on all fronts for the next two seasons but where would we be after that.. Another coach, another cheque book. It's not sustainable success. There is this belief that there's no such thing as a long term managerial appointment these days, but with the right coach and a young group building together I don't see why there can't be.

Agreed I do want the club to start getting back to playing that fast pace attacking football so I'm all for any manager who restores that. Success to me now is secondary but I know some or maybe a lot of fans would disagree with that.

The idea of Giggs sounds great. A guy who's been with the club for 2+ decades. Who's enjoyed great success with the club and played under the clubs greatest manager. Everything on paper sounds great but there's this nagging feeling in me that says chances are it would be a disaster.

I'm not a Jose fan and never have been. We can't argue that he gets results and wins things but it's the way he does it. It's not exactly attractive football and the way he conducts himself at times is appalling. But as a short term fix to get us challenging I can see why he'd be appealing to people.

The ultimate is Pep... A guy who's had success at two huge clubs, plays attacking football and gives youth a chance. Sadly I think most agree it's unlikely to happen.

So I saw Tom mcdermott post earlier on twitter... He simply said Pep? So I had a quick look and according to reports we've held initial discussions with Pep.

metro.co.uk/2016/01/21/manchester-united-hold-talks-with-pep-guardiola-report-5637702/

Maybe trying to get a march on city? Get in there before we potentially miss out on a Champions League place?

The fact that we got beaten at the game that we made so famous is a really bitter pill to swallow.

Fair play to Southampton today. They got stuck in, stuck to their task and nullified us. Not that we need much nullifying these days to be fair!

The injuries are terrible luck they really are but the thin squad is mainly down to him. He wanted a small squad to work with and in the Premier League you can't get away with it. The intensity is too high and you've got to work at your maximum every week. There's no gimmes in England.

Sadly we'll stick with him but I don't want us to. But if we didn't sack him during that 8 game winless run I can't see us doing so now.

I wasn't even surprised and for that reason he has to go. There are problems above him too which haven't helped but the players are better than this.

The players are better than this but that is part of the problem.

Yes LVG is useless or has been for us. Yes he's not been what we'd hoped. But really the players should step up more. There comes a point where surely they should look to do what comes naturally to them? To express themselves more?

Woke up this morning and wondered who we were playing today, doesn't feel like we've played yet this weekend. Just feel empty. It's exactly how it was in Moyes' last days now where I'm no longer surprised when we concede or don't win.

Didn't see yesterday's match but it sounds like every other game over the past 2-3 months. It's very frustrating because at the start of the season it seemed like real progress was being made and we were close to something very good but since then I'm not sure what exactly has happened. Perhaps van Gaal lost the players along the way, maybe opposition sides have found us out tactically.... But something has definitely changed.

Given the way things have been going I can't see how things are going to turnaround before the end of the season and we'll finish outside the top 4. Therefore can't see anything to lose by getting rid now.

Things aren't going to turn around because LVG is set in his ways.

In 18 months he's not realised that to win in England you've got to play with pace. You can't play at snails pace because teams will sit back, soak up the pressure and hurt you on the counter.

He's not changed since he joined and he's not going to now! As much success as he has had in his career he's not managed in England before.

When he first joined I was open to seeing how he got on. I knew he'd had success so I was hopeful. But I did have concerns over his style of play with the Netherlands which way so heavily criticised. Shame it's all coming to become such a nightmare.

I do hate the press. It is open season on United. I believe van gaal should leave know but there is no way the press know the things they say they do. It is mainly calculated guesswork in the hope that one of the guesses turn out right.

That's surely got to be a sign of how things are going?

You wait until the manager is out of the country and then speak to the senior players?

I just hope those players are honest and say that they aren't enjoying life under LVG. That the tactics stifle them and that they want to be given greater freedom. Maybe if that happens there will be no decision left for Woodward but to sack him.

I can't imagine LVG is best pleased though. Knowing his boss waited until he's out of the country before speaking to the senior players. Unless of course it was his idea? That he wanted to truly know if he had the players on his side and that doing it this way might allow them to feel absolutely relaxed.

If rumours are true, Van Gaal offered his resignation in December but it was turned down. He looks a beaten man to me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My view hasn't changed.

The easy option is to sack him; appointing his successor is the difficult bit. Fans are split on Mourinho and the majority don't want Giggs.

There might be valid reasons why Van Gaal hasn't been sacked.

Possible reasons:

• The club do not want Mourinho or Giggs.
  • Giggs doesn't want the job on an interim basis.
  • Mourinho doesn't want to take over midway through the season.
  • Mourinho's father's health.
  • Guardiola has agreed to be the new manager in the summer.

Woodward is meeting with sponsors today in London. Football's playing second fiddle to business.

Plans for the football side of things could already be in place.

I have no reason to feel full of confidence with the board. Of course unless you know full details you can't know for sure but until they disclose more information I can but speculate

Don't think it'll happen but what would we think of Warren Joyce becoming an interim manager if Van Gaal was to go? seen the MEN suggest he would be a more worthy choice than Giggs as he's the Reserves manager, which Guardiola and Zidane also were before taking charge of Barca and Real. Of course Giggs might not want the interim job again (if rumours are true that could well be the case), so Joyce would probably be next in line so not entirely out of the question.

How about if fergie came out of retirement to steady the ship till the end of this season and they appoint someone else at the end of the season. Could be a possibility as long as we are speculating.

Fergie would probably win the league, but I think we should move on. Unless the club also announce there is a deal in place for a new manager to take over in the summer. I suppose the club could name the manager if it's Mourinho and this would allow him a bedding in period/be 'seen' in and around the club and sorting out transfers before he officially takes charge. This would provide a confidence boost for both fans and players.

Guardiola and Zidane both adopted ridiculously good teams and the jury is still out on Zidane. I'd rather have Harry Redknapp or the mental but entertaining Biesla before Giggs or Joyce.

This from another forum is a sensible post.

I'm sorry I don't agree with that at all. I've criticised the board and Woodward in particular numerous times on here - and in my opinion when it's been fairly deserved, but this is just popularist nonsense.

Clearly a failure to achieve on the pitch hits the club in the pocket, and that is recognised by the club - hence their handing a record amount of money to Van Gaal, having sacked Moyes in a flash when it became clear that he couldn't handle the job he'd been given.

Van Gaal deserves to be sacked - but the reality is that sacking him without a solid plan as to what happens next is suicidal from a footballing and PR perspective. You only sack a manager when his replacement is good to go, or things are likely to descend into further chaos.

Clearly things are going on behind the scenes. I would suggest believing what's being written in the papers or on line - in which the position seems to change from hour to hour, is naive at best. That suits the rhetoric that some want to believe that the board are dithering over what to do when there's every chance that they've made a decision and are looking for the best way to implement what they need to going forward.

The advent of instant media on line seems to lead everyone to believe that sacking a manager and appointing a new one is a simple process that takes a matter of hours. To me I'd rather the club take a sensisble amount of time to assess their options and make the right decision in the clubs long term interests rather than launching into a knee-jerk reaction in appointing the first bloke who comes along just to get Van Gaal out of the door.

Put simply - in my opinion, everyone, including Van Gaal knows his days are numbered. The issue now is who they appoint. Its the biggest decision this club has arguably ever faced because further failure could have dire consequences.

Interesting read... And I think it's good to be reading that Woodward is taking his time.

He seems to want to consider all aspects before coming to a decision and that's a good thing.

The senior players hopefully were open and honest about how they feel. Maybe those players back LVG, but if they do then they must now know that it's on then to do better. You can't say you are enjoying life under a manager and then not back that up on the field. Maybe we'll see a reaction this weekend?

LVGs days are numbered though. There's only so long Woodward can continue with LVG in place. The fans week by week are turning on the manager more and more. Eventually that could reach a point where there's no alternative. But until then I'm sure Woodward wants to take the time to reach a correct decision.

Ultimately if the hiring and firing of managers comes down to him then eventually he'll have to answer to those mistakes. He got the Moyes sacking spot on but the replacement wrong. So this next appointment (whenever that may be) will be crucial.

Sunderland 2-1 Manchester United - 13th February 2016

Dropped points against 5 of the bottom 6 now. Awful.

- Worst points total in Man Utd's PL history - Worst goals total In Man Utd's PL history.

Failed in the Champions League in an easy group and we won't even get there next season which was the very minimum. Incompetence from him and the board.

He's had long enough now!

He's spent a lot of money, the squad isn't good enough and the quality isn't there. He has bought badly, sold in some cases badly and isn't good enough!

The times gone to get him gone. Bring some pride and enjoyment back to the season which so far has been boring, dull and disappointing! The season is pretty much at a loss now so why continue with this pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back