Pogba to leave?

Just think he was a badly thought out signing Mourinho probably thought he could mould him into something he wasn't willing to be and when that relationship broke down things never really got back on track.

I think he liked Ole and respected him but he just didn't want to be here anymore and then the injuries started to hit.

Ever since Bruno came he's felt like a spare part to me at that point it was clear the club were moving on from him as the leader of this team and he should have gone but Covid kind of knackered that plan so it's just become this long drawn out distraction. With the benefit of hindsight they really should have done the deal to move him on at the end of Ole's first season summer 2019 just called it quits with him and planned for a future without him.

He's 29 year old and he leaves Man Utd no better than he was at 23 when we signed him I don't think that's just down to him I think everyone has to carry some of the blame. I do think a lack of strong leaders around him at Utd didn't help Scholes called it said he's a player that the other players need to keep on at in games that's ok at 23 but by 29 you should be the one leading.

It was van Gaal that set the move up, he(Pogba) had one foot in the door before Mourinho even arrived. Those two were never gonna get on.

It was van Gaal that set the move up, he(Pogba) had one foot in the door before Mourinho even arrived. Those two were never gonna get on.

Van Gaal was out the door for months before he got the final push so I’m not buying that.

Pogba was a Mourinho signing he thought he could turn him into an Alonso/Fabregas type sitting in the midfield but he was wrong.

Mourinho just lost control of the situation with him.

Van Gaal was out the door for months before he got the final push so I’m not buying that.

Pogba was a Mourinho signing he thought he could turn him into an Alonso/Fabregas type sitting in the midfield but he was wrong.

Mourinho just lost control of the situation with him.

Buy it, don't buy it, it's fact.

Buy it, don't buy it, it's fact.

Any proof?

never heard that story before had a quick search online most the reports suggest the opposite Woodward wanted Pogba and LVG didn’t.

Remember stories that Mourinho tried to get him to Chelsea in 2015.

Any proof?

never heard that story before had a quick search online most the reports suggest the opposite Woodward wanted Pogba and LVG didn’t.

Remember stories that Mourinho tried to get him to Chelsea in 2015.

It probably was driven by Woodward, and what better way to back-up his "we can do things...." than pay nearly £90m on a player that had left the club for peanuts previously. but Pogba was linked with a return to United for well over a year before he resigned, there were enough rumours about it at the time, Juve had agreed to a £60m fee was the first exclusive, and the general feeling was wtf, I wouldn't have him back on a free after the way he engineered his way out of the club for a pittance, and the fee kept going up with every exclusive till we eventually signed him for £89m.

van Gaal who wrongly thought United could/would sign anybody he wanted was never gonna turn his nose up at Pogba, and who knows if van Gaal had had a year with Pogba his second spell at United may have been so different with van Gaal's possession based philosophy.

Not sure Mourinho who wants all his players to be tactically cute and be able to work their tripe off for 90+ minutes every game would have taken a second glance at Pogba and thought he's the guy for me.

It probably was driven by Woodward, and what better way to back-up his "we can do things...." than pay nearly £90m on a player that had left the club for peanuts previously. but Pogba was linked with a return to United for well over a year before he resigned, there were enough rumours about it at the time, Juve had agreed to a £60m fee was the first exclusive, and the general feeling was wtf, I wouldn't have him back on a free after the way he engineered his way out of the club for a pittance, and the fee kept going up with every exclusive till we eventually signed him for £89m.

van Gaal who wrongly thought United could/would sign anybody he wanted was never gonna turn his nose up at Pogba, and who knows if van Gaal had had a year with Pogba his second spell at United may have been so different with van Gaal's possession based philosophy.

Not sure Mourinho who wants all his players to be tactically cute and be able to work their tripe off for 90+ minutes every game would have taken a second glance at Pogba and thought he's the guy for me.

The articles I saw think one was the sun and one the express when I looked the other day suggested both Van Gaal and Moyes passed on Pogba when the club suggested him as a potential signing. They were articles printed with no quotes that came out just after Pogba was signed so who knows how true they were.

The club were desperate to land a big star we'd missed out on Champs League again second time in 3 seasons and had to sack another manager and they'd got Mourinho in. Back then every summer it was mad Muller, Ramos, Bale, Ronaldo, Neymar everyone was linked to Utd then signing a big fat new contract.

I think Mourinho felt he could mould Pogba into something different almost tame him but he was wrong Pogba is his own person he was never going to fall into the "cult" of Mourinho like players did before. I think Mourinho saw the raw potential of Pogba and thought if I can turn this guy into something really special but the methods Mourinho used on others didn't work on Pogba. He was already an established star he didn't need Mourinho to make him think he was great he already thought he was the mutts nuts.

Back then Mourinho was still doing his "special one" act he felt like he was god and could get any player to come round to his methods eventually he'd break you and you'd start fighting for him not against him.

Just a clash of personalities think in the first season Zlatan being around probably kept a lid on it as he was clearly the big dog and leader in that team as Rooney declined into more of a squad role. When Zlatan was basically gone due to injury in the second season the responsibility on the pitch fell to Pogba and he struggled to handle it.

The articles I saw think one was the sun and one the express when I looked the other day suggested both Van Gaal and Moyes passed on Pogba when the club suggested him as a potential signing. They were articles printed with no quotes that came out just after Pogba was signed so who knows how true they were.

The club were desperate to land a big star we'd missed out on Champs League again second time in 3 seasons and had to sack another manager and they'd got Mourinho in. Back then every summer it was mad Muller, Ramos, Bale, Ronaldo, Neymar everyone was linked to Utd then signing a big fat new contract.

I think Mourinho felt he could mould Pogba into something different almost tame him but he was wrong Pogba is his own person he was never going to fall into the "cult" of Mourinho like players did before. I think Mourinho saw the raw potential of Pogba and thought if I can turn this guy into something really special but the methods Mourinho used on others didn't work on Pogba. He was already an established star he didn't need Mourinho to make him think he was great he already thought he was the mutts nuts.

Back then Mourinho was still doing his "special one" act he felt like he was god and could get any player to come round to his methods eventually he'd break you and you'd start fighting for him not against him.

Just a clash of personalities think in the first season Zlatan being around probably kept a lid on it as he was clearly the big dog and leader in that team as Rooney declined into more of a squad role. When Zlatan was basically gone due to injury in the second season the responsibility on the pitch fell to Pogba and he struggled to handle it.

I've just read the two articles you've mentioned and yes they do suggest neither Moyes or van Gaal wanted Pogba but it was in relation to the fee needed to bring him back when the knew they had a budget to work to, plus maybe not wanting to be known as the geezer who paid a fortune for a player released for a pittance a few years previously if it went t*ts up.

It just comes across as pure guess work from the hacks, after the event.

I'm having tea and crumpets with Ed Woodward in a few hours, maybe he can shed some light on what actually happened.

I'll report back later.

I've just read the two articles you've mentioned and yes they do suggest neither Moyes or van Gaal wanted Pogba but it was in relation to the fee needed to bring him back when the knew they had a budget to work to, plus maybe not wanting to be known as the geezer who paid a fortune for a player released for a pittance a few years previously if it went t*ts up.

It just comes across as pure guess work from the hacks, after the event.

I'm having tea and crumpets with Ed Woodward in a few hours, maybe he can shed some light on what actually happened.

I'll report back later.

Like I said who knows how true it was I doubt either man was able to talk on the record having left the club part of your pay off requires you to keep a certain level of silence.

The Pogba stuff was going round for years almost from the day he left the rumours of a return started turns out the return was a bad idea after all.

Each manager has to own his signings so the Pogba one is on Mourinho he backed himself to get the best from him and it didn't work out, there's no way in his first transfer window that Mourinho is going to let the club dump a player on him he doesn't want. Wasn't all Mourinho's fault but when he started asking to get rid of some of the players he was struggling with and the club refused his days were numbered, it seemed pretty clear in summer 2018 he wanted Pogba gone and the club didn't want to back him on it. Ever since then the players have ruled that dressing room.

Hopefully this clear out along with a new setup will put an end to that culture.

Like I said who knows how true it was I doubt either man was able to talk on the record having left the club part of your pay off requires you to keep a certain level of silence.

The Pogba stuff was going round for years almost from the day he left the rumours of a return started turns out the return was a bad idea after all.

Each manager has to own his signings so the Pogba one is on Mourinho he backed himself to get the best from him and it didn't work out, there's no way in his first transfer window that Mourinho is going to let the club dump a player on him he doesn't want. Wasn't all Mourinho's fault but when he started asking to get rid of some of the players he was struggling with and the club refused his days were numbered, it seemed pretty clear in summer 2018 he wanted Pogba gone and the club didn't want to back him on it. Ever since then the players have ruled that dressing room.

Hopefully this clear out along with a new setup will put an end to that culture.

Amen to that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back