Pogba replacements?

I have a little shortlist.

Eriksen - hard to lure away from Spurs but you never know.

Fernandes - I think if we want him we will get him.

Milinkovic-Savic - would cost a lot but even though I’ve read conflicting things on him I think he would kill it in the EPL.

Doucoure - a less fancied replacement but we could do a lot worse. I think he’s ready for the step up and would add some steel, power and goals from midfield.

Those would be my four I would be looking at. Tielemans would have been on that list.

If Pogba goes, and he should, then we need 3. Fernandes needs to be one. Longstaff perhaps another? And then who...

I'd take the deal Juventus has allegedly offered, Paulo Dybala, Alex Sandro, and Blaise Matuidi. I don't think there is a close like-for-like replacement because Pogba's gifts were only shown when he was free to roam, free of defensive duties. I'd rather have a more complete player, even if the heights were not as majestic, so long as the many shortcomings of Pogba's game are compensated for.

I'd take the deal Juventus has allegedly offered, Paulo Dybala, Alex Sandro, and Blaise Matuidi. I don't think there is a close like-for-like replacement because Pogba's gifts were only shown when he was free to roam, free of defensive duties. I'd rather have a more complete player, even if the heights were not as majestic, so long as the many shortcomings of Pogba's game are compensated for.

Do we think Dybala and Matuidi are fits for what we want though?

Matuidi is 32. I wouldn’t be looking to bring him in at all.

There are now talks Madrid would be willing to throw Isco in to the deal.

Matuidi is 32. I wouldn’t be looking to bring him in at all.

There are now talks Madrid would be willing to throw Isco in to the deal.

Yeah Matuidi at that age is a pass. And not what Ole seems to be after.

Isco would be incredible but again is he a fit?

If Pogba goes and we’re moving to a 4-2-3-1 then I don’t see there being many better than Isco in that role in front of the two than Isco.

I don’t actually think he’d be interested in coming. Why leave?

If Pogba does leave Ole needs to know his system and what the plan is. I mean what’s the midfield 2 at the moment with no Pogba. McTominay and Fred with Mata the man further forward? As good as McTominay was at times you don’t want him starting 30 gamed a season and Fred is still and unknown quantity. We’re looking at needed 3 players in the starting 11 if Pogba goes.

On the positive side Pogba has joined the team on preseason

We should see this as an opportunity. If he is to go, which seems inevitable now, then the money we get for him can completely restructure the midfield and that is long overdue

If Pogba goes then we need to sign 2 possibly 3 midfielders as Matic could be off too.

I just don’t see us getting that sort of business done.

In terms of players Fernandes seems to be the main target but Maddison’s name keeps popping up as does Rakitic.

I don’t know enough about non prem players to say if they’re right for us or not I like Maddison but for the price Leicester will want I’m not sure I’ve seen enough and the pressure on him will be huge can he handle that. Just seen him on twitter sitting on a Lamborghini seems like he’s got his head switched on. Ha!

Pogba going leaves a huge void in midfield no goals and no creativity means big pressure on forwards to score goals.

If Pogba goes then we need to sign 2 possibly 3 midfielders as Matic could be off too.

I just don’t see us getting that sort of business done.

I think we needed 2 with Pogba staying so we need at least 3 if we sell him. And we absolutely should sell him.

But I agree we won't get that kind of business done so get ready for McTominay. A LOT.

Yeah if Pogba and Lukaku leave unless quality comes in that squad is looking really poor.

Midfield is looking weak already needed an overhaul but doesn’t seem to be much going on yet.

Yeah if Pogba and Lukaku leave unless quality comes in that squad is looking really poor.

Midfield is looking weak already needed an overhaul but doesn’t seem to be much going on yet.

That's got to be the biggest worry right? Where are we going to get the Lukaku goals from? And what are we going to do in midfield?

That's got to be the biggest worry right? Where are we going to get the Lukaku goals from? And what are we going to do in midfield?

Seems that we are 100% backing kids to come good.

So far we go into next season looking weak in defence, weaker in midfield and weak in attack.

There’s still time for work to be done and things can change quickly but this is looking bad can’t get rid of the players we don’t want and can’t afford the players we do want.

Be interesting to see if Pogba does any press stuff on tour could be quite awkward.

It seems to me that the deals for fernandes and longstaff should be relatively easy to make happen. Let's gut those two sealed quickly, as we need 2 midfield players whether pogba goes or not.

It seems to me that the deals for fernandes and longstaff should be relatively easy to make happen. Let's gut those two sealed quickly, as we need 2 midfield players whether pogba goes or not.

Nothing is relatively easy with that muppet in charge!

Nothing is relatively easy with that muppet in charge!

To his credit the club have done well so far in paying market rates for the 2 players we’ve signed but he can’t get players out if no one wants to buy them and we’ve stayed away from the glamour names wasting our time for contracts.

It would seem in the case of both Longstaff and Fernandes the gap between our valuation and their valuation is massive both players under long contracts so hard to drive down a selling clubs price as we don’t have players who will move to those clubs as part of a deal.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back