Pogba out for 4-6 weeks?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bit of a nightmare this one as he's probably the one player we don't have a replacement for will be interesting to see what he does now will he try Herrera in alongside Matic in the 2 or will he give Fellaini a chance in that role?

Made such a good start to the season as well.

Raging, makes him a doubt as well for Anfield! He is the one that links the midfield and attack so well, at the moment I think Fellani is probably ahead in the pecking order but as you say we don't have a like for like replacement, Pereira may have gotten a chance if he had stayed.

Herrera has to be the one that comes in alongside Matic.

Herrera needs to get himself up to speed as he's not looked good so far but he's clearly not been fully fit but Fellaini has played well and probably deserves the first chance but I think we will start to see them all rotating a bit along with Carrick while Pogba is out.

Yeah agree that Herrera has not done enough at all to warrant coming straight back in, Fellani at the moment deserves his chance plus is far more of a threat in the final third than Herrera will be, we have the protection of Matic so Fellani can get forward and cause a bit of mayhem, offers a lot more at present than Herrera in his position (can't actually believe I am saying that!)

Yeah agree that Herrera has not done enough at all to warrant coming straight back in, Fellani at the moment deserves his chance plus is far more of a threat in the final third than Herrera will be, we have the protection of Matic so Fellani can get forward and cause a bit of mayhem, offers a lot more at present than Herrera in his position (can't actually believe I am saying that!)

I think the rotation will kick in now I don't think we can play Matic in every game so Carrick/Herrera/Fellaini/Matic will all need to contribute in Pogba's absence and it will put more burden on the front 4 to provide the creativity in terms of goals and assists, luckily the fixtures in this period aren't to bad but really it's up to these guys to step up and show why they belong.

Herrera has a lot of fans personally I think he's got a great attitude but I sometimes feel he doesn't contribute enough for a centre mid it was the sort of thing levelled at Cleverley it's all very neat and tidy but is it hurting the opposition? He's obviously a better player than TC23 but does that make him good enough for Utd? I always think when judging a player if he was put up for sale tomorrow who would buy him and with Herrera I kind of feel like he'd get picked up by a team like Everton or Valencia/Seville he's not going to attract the very top sides.

It could be that in Pogba's absense we have to play Matic in every game apart from the league cup then give him a bit of rest once Pogba is back.

Yeah agree with that on Herrera, superb at "doing a job" for example Hazard at our place last year but to go and hurt teams, provide that pass, influence the game, take it by the scruff of the neck, not sure he has that in his locker being honest, the problem now as you say is the creativity will fall on the wingers/striker as all our other CM are quite similar, Fellani, Carrick, Herrera, Fellani, not much in way of creative spark there (maybe Carrick with his range of passing) but all very similar types of midfielders.

The inside forwards might have to come in more to pick up the ball in central areas and try and effect the game a bit more if there is not much in way of forward passes coming from the CMs, we could do with Shaw back so we have options from both full backs on both wings to ensure we can stretch the opposition.

Anfield in four weeks boys, keep your fingers crossed

Hopefully now we have Matic we shouldn't feel his absense as much I think last season it hit us harder as it meant we had to rely on Carrick a lot hopefully he makes it back for the trip to Anfield as I really want to see him dominate and influence these big games.

I think the problem is if the attacking guys come back into midfield it then means we don't have a passing option to go forward with it's important that the attacking players stay high up and find space even if the ball isn't coming you shouldn't got and do someone elses job just to get a touch of the ball.

Yeah totally agree, thats my worry as last year getting the ball from midfield to attack took an age and loads of our attacks broke down due to this, Pogba has made such a difference in linking it up that it is a bit of a worry with sideways passing midfielders (which we have a lot of) would frustrate the boys up top and start to make them come deeper and deeper to pick up possession, hopefully not as you say, one of the CM's steps up

I think the big thing that Pogba brings that the others don't is that he can carry the ball in midfield he will take on and beat his man in midfield which can really open up the game the others can't really do that they're all very clever at turning on the ball but none of them really turn and burst away from someone to make the difference. Pogba also has that shot from distance in his locker which forces defenders to come out to close him down as while he hasn't found the net with many of them you can't afford to let a guy with his quality shoot from within 25 yards without putting pressure on the ball.

The way I see it Herrera & Fellaini are this season playing for new contracts Utd so this is their chance to prove that they're worth new deals as both will be looking at securing pay rises with those deals and in the case of Herrera he needs a good season to break into the Spain squad with a world cup coming up, he broke into that squad last season and made his debut but he's not currently involved.

Rooney was a nightmare for that coming deep to get a touch he wasn't so bad for Utd but he did it all the time for England just because he wanted a feel of the ball and obviously Zlatan wasn't really running in behind last season he always wanted the ball back to goal.

We rejected an approach from Barca for Herrera in the summer @jsp

Did we?

I remember him being linked with them because they appointed a manager from Bilbao but I don't remember anything concrete saying they made an approach and we rejected it. most of these stories came out around the time of talks over a new contract which made me think it was usual agent stuff.

I remember Herrera's name linked with Barca like a million other players around Europe but not sure if there was anything too firm!

As for Pogba, it's a massive massive blow and let's hope his body can heal quickly and he can get back asap. I think I heard there is an international break somewhere in between which cushions the blow a touch. Think Fellaini will get a good shot now in the side with Herrera continuing as back up.

This should be Pereira's chance but alas he's not here. We don't have another like for like player so I'm not sure who we will bring in. I'd probably go with Carrick hitting passes for Lukaku, or even Mkhi playing a deeper midfield role.

I don't trust anything Castles says to be honest. He is wide of the mark with most of his transfer rumours. Think it'll still be the 4-6 week mark.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hopefully he doesn't need surgery but we could do with having him back but most important thing is he gets himself 100% fit hopefully he doesn't get rushed back by France.

Yeah I would say November is a good bet of when he's gonna be back. Such a shame because we have a fair few big games coming up. That is the time when we'll know whether we are real challengers.

6 weeks since his injury now? Could really do with his return.

I think he's been missed ever since he got injured even with Fellaini playing well he still isn't as good as Pogba at his best which is what we had early in the season but then losing him has kind of doubled down on the issue and it's made even worse by the fact Herrera isn't playing well at the moment.

He's doing lots of training videos on his social media which would suggest he's not far away as he hasn't had any surgery but he's not back training with the team yet there were some rumours he might come back this weekend. The sort of things he's doing suggest they're actually trying to strengthen his hamstrings in the gym to help him avoid further injuries as this was a problem that started at the end of last season so it might be that they're keeping him out of the team for a bit longer to try and solve the problem long term rather than just patch him up and get him back out on the pitch.

Mourinho: "Paul is not here, I don't know when he comes back. I don't know when he's available. I have no idea about it."

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back