Players corncerned by lack of creativity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United stars in Louis van Gaal training row | The Times

A delegation of senior Manchester United players has confronted Louis van Gaal with concerns over his rigid training. Unhappy at what they see as stifling methods, the players asked the manager to be allowed to express themselves more freely.

The revelation comes after a stuttering start to the domestic campaign, in which United have scored three goals in four matches in the Barclays Premier League, and fans are demanding more emphasis on attacking adventure.

The concerns of fans over United’s style of play have been shared by the players. After discussions inside the dressing room, senior figures approached Van Gaal to raise complaints about a lack of creativity. They feel that training orders have become so inflexible that they are hampering performances.

The confrontation, several weeks ago, did not prompt any immediate change from the manager and United prepare to face Liverpool on Saturday on the back of a limp defeat by Swansea City before the international break.

The concern of the players is less to do with manpower, or squad strength, after a massive gross outlay under Van Gaal that is now close to £300 million, than the inflexibility of his methods. He has always been a very exact, demanding coach — and, at times, a fierce one — but players reared under Sir Alex Ferguson are still finding it hard to adjust, even into his second season.

Some, such as Chris Smalling, have clearly benefited, but there is a wider belief in the dressing room that Van Gaal would get much more from his players by allowing them to be more expressive. Van Gaal said last night that the success of his training methods was the reason why United have not suffered any injuries this season compared to the glut they encountered when he joined 14 months ago.

Nothing to see here. Don't think the story is true. If it were so then by now van Gaal would have had a meltdown and forced the rebelling players into the reserve. Looks more like one more story designed to put pressure on the club and manager ahead of a huge game.

There is some truth to the story, it has been reported in issues of United We Stand. It's happened on several occasions, apparently.

I doubt the players and Van Gaal rowed though.

I think it's part of the press narrative this season. They are sensing that the club and van gaal are on the back foot and they can pile on the pressure. It's a known fact that negative stories about united get you more clicks.

It's not so good if a player is starting to leak stuff. If they row like they they play football it would be a boring row.

Our play is rigid though.

Our play is rigid. But I feel it's just a couple of more tweaks away from being a very exciting and successful team. Just need some pace and creativity in the side. All this negativity will vanish if we manage a win against our old rivals.

BBC Sport - Louis van Gaal says Man Utd players were worried about morale

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick approached him earlier in the season with concerns about team morale.

Reports earlier this week suggested many United players were unhappy.

Some cited problems with training while others said Van Gaal's public criticism of players was to blame.

Van Gaal said it was "positive" that captain Rooney and vice-captain Carrick had approached him to say: "The dressing room is flat."

The Dutchman added: "They told me to help me. I communicate not only with my captains, they try to warn me.

"I then go to my dressing room and discuss with my players and we discussed a lot of aspects - but not what some have written.

"Some players are coming to me to apologise about what has been said in the papers."

More to follow.

Leaks are worrying. Van Gaal really needs a win tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back